IKEA vs. Cabella's in Walker

grandmabetty78

I don't understand how this conversation came about. The odds of an IKEA coming to the Grand Rapids metro, are nill at best. I'm still not sure where Cabella's stands on it. But wolv is right, You don't see IKEA in metro areas smaller than 3mill, unless it's like uber turisty like Orlando.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IKEA jumped into the fray because Wood profiled IKEA in Canton and how they got IKEA to build there. (Actually, I should say lack there of, I believe IKEA built there without incentives because there was a market.) I don't know why WOODTV8 would make the correlation, but I can see how this thread came about because of it.

IKEA jumped into the fray because Wood profiled IKEA in Canton and how they got IKEA to build there. (Actually, I should say lack there of, I believe IKEA built there without incentives because there was a market.) I don't know why WOODTV8 would make the correlation, but I can see how this thread came about because of it.

This forum is rapidly becoming a beacon in the night....warning national retailers and developers to stay away from Grand Rapids.

I just hope most of them are clever enough to understand that this audience does not represent the typical consumer in West Michigan.

Here's what I've learned from you guys in the past couple weeks:

1) Any development outside the core is bad (regardless of demographics and market studies suggesting a strong business case)

2) Any development involving national chains is bad (regardless of their ability to create jobs and increase the national image of the market)

3) Any development involving tax incentives is bad (regardless of net tax impact)

Am I missing anything? I'd like to keep track of these lessons so that I can come back to them in 5 years...sort of like tracking Nostradamus's predictions.

This forum is rapidly becoming a beacon in the night....warning national retailers and developers to stay away from Grand Rapids.

I just hope most of them are clever enough to understand that this audience does not represent the typical consumer in West Michigan.

1) Any development outside the core is bad (regardless of demographics and market studies suggesting a strong business case)

2) Any development involving national chains is bad (regardless of their ability to create jobs and increase the national image of the market)

3) Any development involving tax incentives is bad (regardless of net tax impact)

Am I missing anything? I'd like to keep track of these lessons so that I can come back to them in 5 years...sort of like tracking Nostradamus's predictions.

• 1 month later...

Do we really need either? What happened to buying from small local retailers who are struggling to stay afloat as it is. The only reason that I could see adding something to this area is to draw more people in through a form of tourism. Isn't one of the other cabela's stores one of the biggest tourist destinations in the state?

Do we really need either? What happened to buying from small local retailers who are struggling to stay afloat as it is. The only reason that I could see adding something to this area is to draw more people in through a form of tourism. Isn't one of the other cabela's stores one of the biggest tourist destinations in the state?

Just like a regional shopping mall like Rivertown and Woodland.

Cabela's is only tourism if you listen to Cabela's.

Stated another way: If I drive to Dundee from Toledo, buy some shirts and a fishing pole, buy a tank of Gas at the shell station across from cabela's and drive back to Toldeo, was that "tourism" or shopping?

What about the guy driving up I-75 from Cincinnati on his way home to Lansing? When he stops at Cabela's for a pulled-pork sandwich and a new sleeping bag, is that tourism?

Cabela's says "you bet! We're the biggest tourist destination in the state!"

I tend to disagree. Cabela's is a heck of a store (I love shopping there) and it's a big draw. But it's not tourism. It's retail.

I don't support the requested tax breaks but I do support the development. Cabelas/IKEA and the development which will come with them will undoubtedly be very suburban and very sprawled out in terms of land use (parking lots etc.). ONe would think that this is exactly the type of businesses which should remain out of downtown and on the fringe. Its not like this is being stuck out in the middle of nowhere either. Let the edge have its boxes, DT should be reserved for truely significant and quality retail.

Archived