First new retailer for former Muskegon mall site

skeetowner

"Hegg's Gallery of Fine Furniture in Hart will open a new retail outlet in the former Century Club this summer, becoming the first new retailer to locate on the "city center" redevelopment of the former Muskegon Mall property"

Furniture family to set up shop on former Muskegon Mall site

More good news for downtown Muskegon! Hopefully this will be the start of downtown Muskegon's retail turnaround.

For those unfamiliar with the area, here is what the renovated buildings will look like (The Century Club is in the middle):

western_redev.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To sum it up, Western Avenue used to be the main street until around the early 70s when it started to decline. So the city planners thought it would be a great idea to turn it into an enclosed mall. So they cleared out entire city blocks to make room for parking and the department stores and built an enclosed mall over western ave. The mall began to fail in the 90s eventually met its deathbed in 2002 and was demolished.

The new roads and sidewalks have been put in place and the first new buildings should be under construction next spring.

• 1 month later...

Well I took this picture a couple years ago, but not much has changed except the facade on the Daniel's building has been removed and of course the street has been put back in. Hegg's will be going in the middle building:

354407459_ead6e749cd_b.jpg

Sorry for the large size of the picture.

To sum it up, Western Avenue used to be the main street until around the early 70s when it started to decline. So the city planners thought it would be a great idea to turn it into an enclosed mall. So they cleared out entire city blocks to make room for parking and the department stores and built an enclosed mall over western ave. The mall began to fail in the 90s eventually met its deathbed in 2002 and was demolished.

The new roads and sidewalks have been put in place and the first new buildings should be under construction next spring.

We pretty much went from

oldwestern.jpg

to now

029Nov3006.jpg

the buildings on the left are being renovated

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first time and I hope this all goes through...

363893534_10b98a699c.jpg

363893530_4ac9f7550f.jpg

363893542_37382a11f4.jpg

363893551_4d6231c2a4.jpg

363893558_b59d011d0c.jpg

363893565_f24feceb49.jpg

Here are some pictures that I took of Muskegon on Labor Day of 2006 and the last Friday of the year (2006), which was not the best day for aerial photo work. The clearer pictures where taken on Labor Day. If you have an interest of a certain picture site, I might be able to help.

This is my first time and I hope this all goes through...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85524831@N00/363893534/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85524831@N00/363893565/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85524831@N00/363893558/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85524831@N00/363893551/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85524831@N00/363893542/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/85524831@N00/363893530/

Here are some pictures that I took of Muskegon on Labor Day of 2006 and the last Friday of the year (2006), which was not the best day for aerial photo work. The clearer pictures where taken on Labor Day. If you have an interest of a certain picture site, I might be able to help.

rightseat,

Great pictures! I fixed them so they'd show up in the thread. For future reference, click on the "insert image" icon, and then paste the photo's URL into the line and they'll show up. Make sure the URL ends with .jpg (delete any characters after .jpg if there are any).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"Hegg's Gallery of Fine Furniture in Hart will open a new retail outlet in the former Century Club this summer, becoming the first new retailer to locate on the "city center" redevelopment of the former Muskegon Mall property"

Furniture family to set up shop on former Muskegon Mall site

More good news for downtown Muskegon! Hopefully this will be the start of downtown Muskegon's retail turnaround.

For those unfamiliar with the area, here is what the renovated buildings will look like (The Century Club is in the middle):

western_redev.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The Century Club Building was among three projects downtown that will receive brownfield tax credits!

Brownfield Tax Credits Boost Downtown Projects

The Century Club development of Western Avenue Properties received $432,500 in state brownfield tax credits on a total investment of $5.8 million for the Russell Block redevelopment on the former mall site on West Western Avenue. The redevelopment of the Century Club, Muskegon Savings Bank and the Daniel's buildings should create 80 jobs. Hart-based Hedge's Furniture is expected to locate in the Century Club building by mid-summer.

It looks like you had some trouble posting your pictures rightseat. I went to your Flickr album though and saw them. How ever did you get inside to take those pictures?

I was in Muskegon on Saturday and I saw the scaffolding up in front of the Century Club.

I got the pictures posted in below.

425928679_08c8642406_b.jpg

This is the same dining area in rear of Century Club, but after demolition

Inside the Century Club dining area in rear, before demolition started

425928645_f442cb56a4_o.jpg

Standing inside by front window off Western Ave in Library, before demolition

425928657_4dd29d5f58_b.jpg

Standing in archway (old book shelf in library) looking through to wall of kitchen off alley

425928619_abbbfcfaf1_b.jpg

Kitchen on first floor before demolition

I have been collecting pictures from the beginning of project and will continue to keep updating until Hegg's Furniture moves in before Summer Celebration. The front of the Century Club is now being worked on to refurbish it to the way it looked in the beginning. Now just wait and see the what happens to downtown Muskegon in the next year. The next picture is the latest of the facade.

425949911_7504cda8bb_b.jpg

Century Club this past Thursday with work beginning on the facade

I have been following this project for some time. A friend of mine has allowed me to take photos at varies steps. I will be posting more of these soon. They will include some of the bank and Russel Block (Daniels) buildings.

I did finally figure out with the help of Dan to get the pictures working.

• 1 month later...

Archived