Top Wishes for the New Year

cpeakesqr

What's the big news story you envision for Hampton Roads in the coming year? What's the one thing that you're hoping will finally come true? If your on Santa's "good" list it might happen!

Use your imagination, and stick to UP forum related topics!

((I'm going to pull a Bill O'Reilly and assume no one will be offended with the Santa statement.))

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the big news story you envision for Hampton Roads in the coming year? What's the one thing that you're hoping will finally come true? If your on Santa's "good" list it might happen!

Use your imagination, and stick to UP forum related topics!

((I'm going to pull a Bill O'Reilly and assume no one will be offended with the Santa statement.))

I wish for Granby Tower to start going up with 6 additional floors added to it. The Hilton and Johnsons plans scraped for a taller and better designed building. Free flights from Austin to Norfolk anytime I want. And last , but not least, a 40 story building for Portsmouth.

I wish for better paying jobs in the area. A balance between white collar and blue collar. I would love to see more corporate interest in this region no matter which of the 7 cities its in! I would love to see St. Paul's corridor with 15+ story buildings all around it. I hope the city wants to continue growing the CBD beyond Brambleton in the future. I want to see Norfolk get rid of alot of the suburban development throughout the city!

10. Granby Tower to be completed to add inventory to market.

9. More interstate announcements, to aid in commutes

8. Large bridge announcements, like the golden gate n stuff, to assist HRBT

7. Some cool companies come to the region

6. 3 public access TV channels hit Cox and Charter

5. Councils gets ejected, good ol boy network is disrupted

4. Industrial rents drop

3. Undervehicle neon illumination is legalized

2. Maglev industry takes off, jobs in HR, maglev deployed all over HR

1. Housing crash, returning median home prices to median incomes.

Huge undersea resources are discovered (not oil) that contribute to hydrogen storage and perhaps some other unforseen assets. In turn, research funding at local universities mushrooms, making ODU a premier international institution, leading to many well paying research and professional jobs, leading to a need for several 40 to 70 story towers downtown, leading to huge endowments for the arts, medicine and our social needs. New stadiums and arenas are constructed to house the new major league franchises, and some of us get to take part in the planning of it all.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Vice Mayor Paul Riddick is removed from office!

2. Granby Tower starts construction

3. Hilton Hotel and Conference in Norfolk gets a deal sealed and the building is redesigned.

4. New office tower on snyder lot is proposed.

5. St Pauls quadrant plan is a little more progressive and they eliminate the single family units from the design. They have no place being so close to downtown. We're trying to obtain maximum use out of scarce downtown land and single family is not it!

3. Hilton Hotel and Conference in Norfolk gets a deal sealed and the building is redesigned.

5. St Pauls quadrant plan is a little more progressive and they eliminate the single family units from the design. They have no place being so close to downtown. We're trying to obtain maximum use out of scarce downtown land and single family is not it!

How can the city eliminate single family units from the design of the St. Paul's quadrant when there has been no design work done yet?

I attended one of the very early planning meetings for the St. Paul's quadrant and I heard a lot of talk about interest in a high rise senior citizen tower of some sort.

• 2 weeks later...

My perfect 2007 would go something like this......

12. HRT Headquarters to break ground

11. Federal Court Expansion to break ground

10. 401 Granby to break ground

09. Hoffler Tower to break ground

08. Ghent South Tower(s) to break ground

07. Rivers Edge Tower(s) to break ground

06. Brambleton Tower to break ground

05. Wachovia Center to break ground (I think this will be an outstanding building)

04. Hilton to be redesigned and break ground

03. Snyder lot proposals to blow our socks off (40+ stories with a unique design)

02. The steel rising for Granby Tower

(Oh my, the density is starting to happen)

And numero uno............ many more new project announcements for 2007!

I hope the Snyder Lot proposal comes to a glorious fruition; 40+ stories, amazing architecture, and a cohesively-designed mixed-use tower that will be the true landmark for downtown Norfolk. In addition, I hope that a comprehensive plan to solve the region's transportation quagmire is announced and includes a vastly-expanded light-rail network. I know, I'm reaching, but I will wish whatever the heckity-hoo I want to wish.

Archived