Buildings that need to go

reednavy05

As an avid fan of renewal for my hometown, surface lots are not the only fair game to be demolished. Horribly ugly buildings and vacant ones need to go to make way for my towers. Two excellent examples are small high rises in the core. The Union Planters Bank Building is one that is near the dead center of a cluster of tall buildings, and at just 150 or 175 feet, its gotta go. Another is Wachovia Bank, a small skyscraper that is on prime land. I had used this in another topic, the two parking garages behind Viridan, across Commerce Street from the Suntrust Plaza. They are horrible looking.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with the parking garages going if other parking options are added. But until this happens, AND we fill the surface lots, why even think about getting rid of some of these buildings.

I agree that some of the old mixed with the new gives character and if they are being used then let them stay. Now if they are vacant, that is a different story.

i may have been a lil hasty, they should at the least give UP a new paint job, or do to both what they did in Tulsa,OK , add more floors to the original building, or just renovate and give them a interesting fascade. UP has an entire side that has no window, maybe a large electronic billboard/television, just to draw more attention. You can clearly see the UP building from the interstate, tucked between BOA and 5/3rd Center. Actually, hell make a giant mural on it's side, but can we have the TN Tower do the messages again, i miss that, it was incredibly unique

After returning from Philiadelphia this week, I will have to agree with the Doorman. The Urban mix in Philadelphia is fantastic and you dont have to have highrise buildings everywhere, just density. This is my first trip to a large city since getting interested in the urban built environment. It really opens the eyes. Almost all the buildings in Philadelphia are built to the sidewalk and you have parking structures mixed in, because they are needed. (You will end up paying 20 dollars for a couple of hours too).Standing right next to each other you have small buildings, large buildings, short buildings and tall buildings. But the great thing there is you have new buildings and old buildings standing right next to each other. Too bad that in Nashville we didnt save our older taller buildings. We have a long way to go before we get the type of density they have there. After being there, I am almost of the opinion that we should not tear down any building to make way for new and just increase the density we have downtown. This is a turn around from my previous point of view after seeing the big picture. Lets take all the surface lots and outlaw them. Have a minimum height for all structures in the urban core and maybe even extend that to the areas that surround the core within so many blocks.

Too bad that in Nashville we didnt save our older taller buildings. We have a long way to go before we get the type of density they have there. After being there, I am almost of the opinion that we should not tear down any building to make way for new and just increase the density we have downtown. This is a turn around from my previous point of view after seeing the big picture. Lets take all the surface lots and outlaw them. Have a minimum height for all structures in the urban core and maybe even extend that to the areas that surround the core within so many blocks.

After returning from Philiadelphia this week, I will have to agree with the Doorman. The Urban mix in Philadelphia is fantastic and you dont have to have highrise buildings everywhere, just density. This is my first trip to a large city since getting interested in the urban built environment. It really opens the eyes. Almost all the buildings in Philadelphia are built to the sidewalk and you have parking structures mixed in, because they are needed. (You will end up paying 20 dollars for a couple of hours too).Standing right next to each other you have small buildings, large buildings, short buildings and tall buildings. But the great thing there is you have new buildings and old buildings standing right next to each other. Too bad that in Nashville we didnt save our older taller buildings.

If I could choose to get rid of some buildings it would be the car lots along Broadway right across from the Interstate and Hippodrome Nissan on the DT side, because they won't go out of business by themselves, and they really choke the growth IMO. There are some ugly building on the North side of DT, too, I just don't know their names.

For constructive reasons only; ie, not because it's ugly or functionless or anything negative, I would get rid of Municipal auditorium. This building has served the city very well for many decades, but it's time has come. I (as do many others) have very fond memories in that building, but its purpose is gone. Removing the building would provide 3 things;

1. Provide more conventioners for a new convention center.

2. Shift more events to the GEC

3. Leave a massive chunk of prime land (I believe city-owned) for redevelopment. If done right it could be a massive mixed-use block.

JMO

For constructive reasons only; ie, not because it's ugly or functionless or anything negative, I would get rid of Municipal auditorium. This building has served the city very well for many decades, but it's time has come. I (as do many others) have very fond memories in that building, but its purpose is gone. Removing the building would provide 3 things;

1. Provide more conventioners for a new convention center.

2. Shift more events to the GEC

3. Leave a massive chunk of prime land (I believe city-owned) for redevelopment. If done right it could be a massive mixed-use block.

JMO

If I could choose to get rid of some buildings it would be the car lots along Broadway right across from the Interstate and Hippodrome Nissan on the DT side, because they won't go out of business by themselves, and they really choke the growth IMO. There are some ugly building on the North side of DT, too, I just don't know their names.

Yeah, it's not so much the dealership itself that bothers me, it's the parking lots, especially because they front the interstate, but also because it takes up prime real estate. The Beamen Pontiac 'chief' sign is one of the last ones left in the nation, and that IS a landmark, but the newly built (i.e. last year) Lincoln-Mercury dealership...is not. They take up space between Baptist Hospital, Music Row, West End, and DT and I think they're a major obstacle

Archived