• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

343292229_d136c9af63_b.jpg

344811052_1deb81f117_b.jpg

The Haymarket Building at 161 W. Michigan Ave. as seen today. The building was built in 1906 to house the Edwards & Chamberlin Hardware Store. It later was home to Sears and Roebuck and then the Super Bargain Center (As seen below, notice the cornice). The building was renovated and restored in the 1990's and currently houses the popular Food Dance Cafe on the ground floor and five floors of office space.

LK01a006.jpg

LK01a008.jpg

Historic photos compliments of the Portage District Library via Michigan State University's Making of Modern Michigan photo collection.

Edited by WALD0123

A few shots of the new DeVisser Place development on the mall in downtown Kalamazoo. The building historically replicates the the original structure and really compliments the vintage buildings in the area. Gazelle Sports, which had been the previous ground floor tenant and has been leasing the former Walgreen's space across the street during construction, will continue to occupy the first floor. The 2nd and 3rd floors will house office space and 7 apartments. Like just about every major downtown development, this is being driving by Bill Johnston's Greenleaf Holdings.

Check out http://www.devisserplace.com/ for more information.

349391160_490151d559.jpg

349390916_ebe5fbd034.jpg

349391285_f00fc50918.jpg

Also, I took a number of photos downtown over the holidays and will try and post them here with some regularity, check back for updates.

Greenleaf has indeed been doing some great stuff for downtown. On top of that, their designs are usually pretty tasteful and in my opinion compliment downtown nicely. DeVisser and the new Office building going up on the corner of Rose and South streets will make fine additions to downtown.

Can anyone list all of Greenleaf's properties/recent developments?

Greenleaf projects off the top of my head:

The New Radisson Plaza Hotel at Kalamazoo Center

DeVisser Place

Miller-Canfield Office Building (South & Rose)

view_16.jpg

Renovation of 211 S. Rose St. to Become Greenleaf Building

349896740_107c83e7eb.jpg

(The construction trailers are for the Miller-Canfield Building next door. More information and better pictures of the Greenleaf Building can be found at architect Eckert-Wordell's website.

But the most interesting piece of news regarding Greenleaf recently is the fact that they just acquired the Michigan K-Wings along with entire Wings Stadium complex from the Parfet family for $9.6 million. This is good news because the city of Kalamazoo and DKI have been hoping to build a new arena downtown for some time now. With Greenleaf, the new king of downtown development, controlling the city's most viable minor league franchise, the odds of an arena being built in the downtown area in the next few years have increased exponentially.

I believe the city does own it as it was used as the downtown staging area for the Metro Bus service before the new Transit Center opened. It was my understanding that one selling point of the transit center was freeing up the Michigan and Rose lot for development.

Tracer, I also saw signs for an ice rink although this map for the Holly Jolly Trolley seems to point to a rink near Eleanor & Westnedge.

For those of you not familiar with the awesome ridiculousness of the Holly Jolly Trolley:

344803812_3d3feab3f9.jpg

I believe the city does own it as it was used as the downtown staging area for the Metro Bus service before the new Transit Center opened. It was my understanding that one selling point of the transit center was freeing up the Michigan and Rose lot for development.

Tracer, I also saw signs for an ice rink although this map for the Holly Jolly Trolley seems to point to a rink near Eleanor & Westnedge.

For those of you not familiar with the awesome ridiculousness of the Holly Jolly Trolley:

344803812_3d3feab3f9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a really cool picture. Note the demolished Pfizer buildings in the right too... :(

The downtown has/is really undergoing some major changes to its built environment lately.

Someone updated the main picture of Kalamazoo on Wikipedia

Wikipedia Article

It looks like a fairly recent aerial picture.

Notice the completed theater and ramp and also the Miller Canfield Building Under Construction.

post-11292-1174854932_thumb.jpg