Muskegon off topic

MJLO

I was in Muskegon over the weekend to support some local businesses and I was amazed how many people were downtown on a Saturday afternoon. Maybe there was something going on at the fraunthal I didn't know about, but there were a good number of people at the stores I went to. It is good to see how successful Clay Avenue Station has been with their wine. In addition to their store they sell it at The Cheese Lady, I saw they had bottles at Jilly's but I don't know that they were for sale there, and at Sun Wind and Rain they offer you a glass of wine while you're shopping. I was told they also sell it by the glass at Racquets and that Finley's sold some and is interested in selling more! This is after only one year in business! I bough some Cranberry wine for my parents, they're not into wine to much, but the great thing about the wine from Clay Avenue Cellars is that it doesn't taste like normal grape wine.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

According to the Muskegon Chronicle there will be jet service from the airport once again. Unlike the 2004 deal this is not a trial basis. Midwest Airlines will be making two trips between Muskegon and Milwaukee daily. This will be replacing the three daily flights of the turbo-prop plane between the two cities. So the number of flights will decrease, but the number of available seats per day will increase.

I would love to see Muskegon County Airport get more flights, it just seems unlikely with GR so close. It would also be nice if they got a third carrier again. The service wouldn't need to be to Chicago, it could be to another hub city further away like Cincinatti.

Does anyone know if they still have charter flights from Muskegon to Vegas during the winter like they did a few years back?

• 2 months later...

I was at the Muskegon Airport on Friday and as my friend and I left the grips of the ground, I notice that runway32/14 and 18/36 are shut down for construction. My understanding is that they are extending the runway. This is good for that will give runway and additional 1000 feet I think to bring in more in line with runway 24/6 which is 6500 feet long. At the present time runway 32/14 is only 5000 feet long. Be able to land those big planes on both these runways (24/6 and 32/14).

I fly about once a week in a Piper Dakota.

With the changes coming to Muskegon, maybe a few people will fly into Muskegon and come to our downtown, beach areas and bring back with them some memories. Some memories that will encourage them to come back again.

Here is a pix from the air of Heritage Landing. I can see Heritage Landing each morning when I wake up and look out my bedroom window. What a great view. Sure beats all those factories of the past.

2426503866_f9da5e7bf2.jpg

Edited by rightseat

2426534768_82a96bf4aa.jpg

This is what you see on the floor as you walk into the Muskegon Bank on the corner of Western and Second. I was working on the fire place mantle this afternoon and took this picture. There is still part of the past here in Muskegon.

2425720447_43df67dba7.jpg

This picture was taken on the corner of Second and Clay. This was the second day after they started working on the site for the new Baker College School

2425720175_4af5ce819a.jpg

Moving to the right from the last picture you can see more of the lot and what is going on. Spring is in the air and so is construction.

Power polls have been hook up for the beginning of the Heritage Townhouses. That will be any time now.

A few weeks ago after flying back from Plainwell, Michigan, there were these two helicopters from Port Huron doing their flight training and stopped over in Muskegon for a rest before heading back home. We used to have Wisconsin Air National Guard flying in for touch and goes with the C130's.

2317349258_997c950d91.jpg

2426534768_82a96bf4aa.jpg

This is what you see on the floor as you walk into the Muskegon Bank on the corner of Western and Second. I was working on the fire place mantle this afternoon and took this picture. There is still part of the past here in Muskegon.

2425720447_43df67dba7.jpg

This picture was taken on the corner of Second and Clay. This was the second day after they started working on the site for the new Baker College School

2425720175_4af5ce819a.jpg

Moving to the right from the last picture you can see more of the lot and what is going on. Spring is in the air and so is construction.

Power polls have been hook up for the beginning of the Heritage Townhouses. That will be any time now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This past Saturday I had the opportunity to tour the old store on the corner of Clay and Seventh Street. What a grand old building. We only have a few of those left here in downtown and I am sure encouraged and happy that investors are willing to bring these buildings back. All the hurdles and roadblocks that come from such a task, the investors must be applauded for their courage and vision to bring back to life a few of these old structures. This is an historical building built in the 1800's. The upstairs is in very good shape as is the rest of the building. Hopefully some decisions can be made soon by the owner and another business will be opened here in downtown Muskegon.

• 14 years later...