Uptown Highrise Apartment Speculation

redjeep77

We all know how many condo towers are going up right now, but what about apartments? Has anyone heard of any possible non condo resi-towers? I am not in the realestate biz, but is there money to be made in building apartment buildings? Or is it not really worth the effort (and hence the lack of projects)?

I would think that with all of the kids fresh out of college, there'd be some more options than what's out now for renting.

All other general highrise apartment building discussion is more than welcome here as well

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have archived the previous thread on this topic. Anyone who wishes to see past discussion on this topic, go here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22536

With Trinity planning apartments at Trade and Graham, I have long been expecting that project to go taller than the ~10 stories it was originally announced to be. At many public meetings, insiders have referred to that project as being 20+ stories.

I'm not a commodities expert, but I've heard from some that concrete and steel inflation has slowed. Does that change the equation slightly to create an environment for apartments to get built.

With 5th and Poplar now completing its conversion from apartments, I almost wonder if the market is now underserved.

We all know how many condo towers are going up right now, but what about apartments? Has anyone heard of any possible non condo resi-towers? I am not in the realestate biz, but is there money to be made in building apartment buildings? Or is it not really worth the effort (and hence the lack of projects)?

I would think that with all of the kids fresh out of college, there'd be some more options than what's out now for renting.

All other general highrise apartment building discussion is more than welcome here as well

I hope that we get a midrise boom of apartments along the transit line more than I hope for a lot of highrises downtown. However, if one or a few actually do happen, it will be a good sign, as it will indicate that rents are healthy and costs are manageable.

Frankly, a lot of the new condo towers have a certain percentage of investers that plan to rent out the condos when they're done. That means they are basically a percentage of most new buildings are apartments, only with distributed ownership and local profit takers.

Also, I've heard rumors both that C is stalled and that the apartment portion is now planned for condos. Both of those rumors rung true, but we'll see. I'm sure Duke wouldn't want to go out on a limb supporting their home town.

I'm more for apartments in Uptown and anywhere near the Lynx Blue Line. Maybe building more apartments along South End and Lynx Blue Line and some in Uptown will help diminish the demand for apartments in the University area and get that some of that unwanted growth. Apartments in the University on average have an occupancy rate of 90% and there are plenty of new complexes being built in the area.

I'm more for apartments in Uptown and anywhere near the Lynx Blue Line. Maybe building more apartments along South End and Lynx Blue Line and some in Uptown will help diminish the demand for apartments in the University area and get that some of that unwanted growth. Apartments in the University on average have an occupancy rate of 90% and there are plenty of new complexes being built in the area.

Archived