Interesting take on immigrants

Snowguy716

This is interesting:

http://www.startribune.com/587/story/888539.html

A muslim group is asking for an apology after Virgil Goode R-Virginia made this statement regarding Rep.-elect Keith Ellison of Minnesota's 5th district:

"The Muslim representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran"

Apparently Bible-thumping Christian democracy is the only acceptable kind of democracy to the idiot from Virginia.

I can truly say this to Virgil, as this clearly fits the bill: If you want to be racist and xenophobic and bigotted in Virginia, that's fine, but don't step foot in Minnesota! We might demand conversion to Islam and mandatory monetary donations to illegal immigrants at the state line!!!!! Seriously, what an idiot.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ What an idiotic argument. Isn't the whole point of placing your hand on the Bible to be representative of your sacred duty to this country as it is the Word of God to Christians? Why would a Muslim swear on a Bible anymore than a Christian would the Koran? Why swear on something you don't believe in?

I believe, like in court, a person may swear on the appropriate "book" depending on their faith, or to whatever principal they do hold value in, is this not the same for congress? And agreed with the Captain, I am not putting much stock in such outdated formalities in this day and age, most politicians will lie and cheat anyway, our system practically requires it and makes a quick convert out of otherwise good people. I'd be more inclined to trust a Moslem swearing on a Koran than a Christian swearing on a bible.

You know, I'm not sure how it works most places, but in Augusta you don't even swear on Bible anymore. In fact, you haven't for a long time. I was sworn in a few years ago and I simply held my hand and swore to tell the truth.

I would think it would be the same for Congress.

Archived