Downtown MPLS. Retail

Minneapolitan

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lunds opened in November. It's not located in the heart of downtown, but it's not like the St. Anthony & Main area is over 10 minutes away from those that live downtown. The Lunds on the other end of downtown should be underway (again) soon. Whole Foods will also be opening within the next year and a half or two and that will be located in a prime downtown location (Hennepin & Washington)

The Loring Park Lunds will be a great boon for the area, just as the one across the river has been. I live by the former and the fact that Laurel Village has lost a lot of store front businesses has definitely had a negative impact around here (loss of the Dish, City Market, the liquor store, the floral shop and Sir Speedy, which only moved a block away). Cannot wait until the spring 2007 open, I'm thinking it will actually open in late summer, since they have yet to restart construction.

Anyway, I got off topic for a bit... IMO there could be a better mix of retail DT, but I am hesitant, for I don't know if designated stores such as Prada, Gucci and the like would be a good addition or not. <_<

Are there still those unconfirmed plans of Best Buy scouting out a place in the general vicinity?

Hey all - new to the board. I've been thinking this for quite some time now...the old Armory downtown. Speculation abounds and has for years about what will happen to that. Have you ever been inside? It is beautiful and there is underground parking. Why hasn't (or haven't I heard about it) someone thought about turning that into a King of Prussia-like fashion emporium? It has remarkable space that could be converted into fabulous boutiques like Prada, Gucci, Hermes, etc. I would think these fashion houses would be most inclined to come to MSP if their level of competition was there too? It could be an uber high class, fashionable development.

I think it could be possible, but not with Prada/Gucci/Hermes. Im not sure if Minneapolis could sustain a freestanding Prada store, nor would they be looking there until the city lands a LV or Tiffanys.

I could vision one with the lower end of upscale like BCBG/Coach/LV (odd that there still isnt a freestanding boutique when Nashville has one, and Tucson, AZ). Also I think Tiffany's needs to land downtown and not stay in Edina. If that area were converted it would be the best bet to land additional upscale retailers, probably not as nice as KOP, but perhaps close.

Does anyone have updates on either Best Buy or Nordstrom (or Nordstrom Rack) opening stores in downtown? Last I heard / read was that Nordstrom is scouting for locations and Best Buy is planning on locating in either the North Loop area or opening in the building where Polo Ralph Lauren and Crate & Barrel are currently located.

Archived