New Orleans | Photo of the Day

NCB

are the street cars on carondelet post katrina?

I believe so, but I'm not completely sure. I know I've seen the Saint Charles cars on St. Charles Ave., but I think the entire downtown loop is open right now as well, which would mean that they do run on Carondelet.

The World Trade Center at the foot of Canal:

356165574_8cecca82bf_b.jpg

I was surprised to find this on bidclerk.com a few days ago. There have been plans to renovate the WTC for years and it seems there is a very ambitious project in the works for one of the most high profile pieces of real estate in the city. Has anyone seen any mention of this. I couldn't find any.

Renovation of and addition to a hotel in New Orleans. Design plans call for a 653-room hotel to be added to the existing world trade center. Plans include the addition of 50,000 square feet to house a conference center.

Construction is expected to commence in July 2007. Interested parties may direct inquiries to the architect.

Divisions of Work:

General Requirements, Site Work -- Excavation, Paving, Grading, Fences, Landscaping, Concrete -- Cast-In-Place Concrete, Concrete Formwork, Concrete Reinforcement, Masonry / Stone -- CMU, Brick, Stone, Metals -- Structural Steel, Metal Decking, Metal Fabrications, Metal Framing, Railings, Wood / Plastics -- Carpentry, Architectural Woodwork, Wood Trusses, Millwork, Thermal / Moisture -- Roofing, Insulation, Caulking & Sealants, Flashing & Sheet Metal, Firestopping, Waterproofing, Doors / Windows -- Metal Doors & Frames, Wood Doors, Glazing, Storefronts, Automatic Doors, Access Doors, Finishes -- Drywall, Plaster, Paint, Tile, Carpet, ACT, Resilient Floor ,Wall Coverings, Specialties -- Signage, Toilet & Bath Accessories, Fire Extinguishers, Louvers & Vents, Safe Deposit Boxes, Equipment -- Security Entrance Systems, Furnishings -- Floor Mats, Blinds, Special Construction -- Pools, Mechanical -- HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Building Controls, Electrical -- Wiring, Lighting, Telephone/Data Systems, Alarm Systems, Grounding

I was surprised to find this on bidclerk.com a few days ago. There have been plans to renovate the WTC for years and it seems there is a very ambitious project in the works for one of the most high profile pieces of real estate in the city. Has anyone seen any mention of this. I couldn't find any.

Renovation of and addition to a hotel in New Orleans. Design plans call for a 653-room hotel to be added to the existing world trade center. Plans include the addition of 50,000 square feet to house a conference center.

Construction is expected to commence in July 2007. Interested parties may direct inquiries to the architect.

Divisions of Work:

General Requirements, Site Work -- Excavation, Paving, Grading, Fences, Landscaping, Concrete -- Cast-In-Place Concrete, Concrete Formwork, Concrete Reinforcement, Masonry / Stone -- CMU, Brick, Stone, Metals -- Structural Steel, Metal Decking, Metal Fabrications, Metal Framing, Railings, Wood / Plastics -- Carpentry, Architectural Woodwork, Wood Trusses, Millwork, Thermal / Moisture -- Roofing, Insulation, Caulking & Sealants, Flashing & Sheet Metal, Firestopping, Waterproofing, Doors / Windows -- Metal Doors & Frames, Wood Doors, Glazing, Storefronts, Automatic Doors, Access Doors, Finishes -- Drywall, Plaster, Paint, Tile, Carpet, ACT, Resilient Floor ,Wall Coverings, Specialties -- Signage, Toilet & Bath Accessories, Fire Extinguishers, Louvers & Vents, Safe Deposit Boxes, Equipment -- Security Entrance Systems, Furnishings -- Floor Mats, Blinds, Special Construction -- Pools, Mechanical -- HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Building Controls, Electrical -- Wiring, Lighting, Telephone/Data Systems, Alarm Systems, Grounding

Well that is extremely interesting. I wonder what is going on here. I know the rights to develop this just transferred back to the city recently. So this could possibly be abig deal about to be announced. This really is to good a piece of property not to be used as a hotel. It has so much potential. Lets hope it finally happens.

Here are a few shots of the new 26 story Harrah's Hotel in downtown New Orleans. As I've outlined before, rather than destroying all of the empty and rotting old 19th century buildings occupying, they were refurbished and included in the facade. Honestly, I think it looks great, and it's something I wish more cities would do. (The plan to refurbish the old buildings was the idea of the New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission)

356164629_5642352634_b.jpg

356164915_f99c476a19_b.jpg

356165214_74fa1be61f_b.jpg

I agree. Without a doubt I think New Orleans is one of the best when it comes to finding that middle ground between progress and preservation. The building looks great the way it is today because of the compromises they made. The end result is a commercially viable building that puts those historic blocks back into commerce. Some people hate facadectomies, but I think it depends on the situation. In this case the interiors of the building served no real purpose and the location is on Poydras. Im guessing the Cosmopolitan Hotel Tower on Canal and Royal will be a future facadectomy too.