Lake Express Port

joeDowntown

I took the Lake Express to Milwaukee this summer and while the ride was pleasant, the Muskegon side of the trip left a lot to be desired. Parking was woefully inadequate, The "port" was wedged between some pole buildings, and I had terrible thoughts of what people coming to West Michigan must have thought of their first impressions. With the Ferry service doing well, does Muskegon plan on moving this? It seems like they could move it to a better area to capture more tourism dollars and give a warmer welcome to the State. Right now, it drops you off at a shed in the middle of an industrial zone hugging a somewhat dilapidated neighborhood.

Thoughts? (I think they should move it to Grand Haven or Holland).

Joe

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been on the ferry yet. But I do have to agree with you on this one. The Muskegon waterfront is improving though. I think Grand Haven would be nice for tourists coming in. Not sure if would be possible to dock on Lake Mac in Holland.

I think Muskegon is the best location because its a straight shot to Milwaukee, Holland is too far south and it has easy access to the highway that Grand Haven does'nt, it also does'nt get so swamped with tourist that there would be a traffic backup getting off the ferry.

he port however is in a bad location, I had a hard time finding it, and yes its in a dilapidated neighborhood. I was surprised that it wasent in downtown. With all the space available, the better access and the attempted redevelopment of downtown, It only makes sense to locate it there.

I think Muskegon is the best location because its a straight shot to Milwaukee, Holland is too far south and it has easy access to the highway that Grand Haven does'nt, it also does'nt get so swamped with tourist that there would be a traffic backup getting off the ferry.

he port however is in a bad location, I had a hard time finding it, and yes its in a dilapidated neighborhood. I was surprised that it wasent in downtown. With all the space available, the better access and the attempted redevelopment of downtown, It only makes sense to locate it there.

I took the Lake Express to Milwaukee this summer and while the ride was pleasant, the Muskegon side of the trip left a lot to be desired. Parking was woefully inadequate, The "port" was wedged between some pole buildings, and I had terrible thoughts of what people coming to West Michigan must have thought of their first impressions. With the Ferry service doing well, does Muskegon plan on moving this? It seems like they could move it to a better area to capture more tourism dollars and give a warmer welcome to the State. Right now, it drops you off at a shed in the middle of an industrial zone hugging a somewhat dilapidated neighborhood.

Thoughts? (I think they should move it to Grand Haven or Holland).

Joe

The Ferry terminal is not downtown because the council, the Mayor and others influential with the council wanted it across from the Mayor's bar. Those in the know, know that's the case. No matter how others want to paint it.

The councils legacy will always be that they sold out Muskegon.

To add further insult to the people of Muskegon, the council voted to have the City pay for the cost overruns for the project. This, in spite of the fact the terminal owners pledged to pay for cost overruns themselves.

The Ferry terminal is not downtown because the council, the Mayor and others influential with the council wanted it across from the Mayor's bar. Those in the know, know that's the case. No matter how others want to paint it.

The councils legacy will always be that they sold out Muskegon.

To add further insult to the people of Muskegon, the council voted to have the City pay for the cost overruns for the project. This, in spite of the fact the terminal owners pledged to pay for cost overruns themselves.

It is difficult and a waste of time to counter statements which are half truths, stretching the truth or patent mistruths. Personally, I know, as do others, your statements fall under these categories. It bothers me when I see an issue of which I am very familiar, misrepresented. I won't continue as it's just a you "said", I "said".

Yes sir, the Commission sold Muskegon out.

It is difficult and a waste of time to counter statements which are half truths, stretching the truth or patent mistruths. Personally, I know, as do others, your statements fall under these categories. It bothers me when I see an issue of which I am very familiar, misrepresented. I won't continue as it's just a you "said", I "said".

Yes sir, the Commission sold Muskegon out.

One of the most productive steps the Muskegon community can take is to rid itself of the lack of integrity and misinformation prevalent in City Hall. Unless you want to continue to allow them to get away with it and not question them, we, as a community, better point it out. Holding those accountable for misinformation and complete mistruths

One of the most productive steps the Muskegon community can take is to rid itself of the lack of integrity and misinformation prevalent in City Hall. Unless you want to continue to allow them to get away with it and not question them, we, as a community, better point it out. Holding those accountable for misinformation and complete mistruths

Archived