Grand Rapids' next signature shot

evac311

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old Motor Wheel factory in Lansing was constructed in almost the exact same manner as the A&P building, and has now been converted to The Motor Wheel Lofts. I don't see what the big hangup is for developers to redevelop the cell tower building. I thought it was the concrete floors, but they're going to put concrete floors in Hopson Flats. The location is almost perfect for GVSU students.

Great minds think alike. I too have othen thought the cell tower building would make for some really cool lofts.

The old Motor Wheel factory in Lansing was constructed in almost the exact same manner as the A&P building, and has now been converted to The Motor Wheel Lofts. I don't see what the big hangup is for developers to redevelop the cell tower building. I thought it was the concrete floors, but they're going to put concrete floors in Hopson Flats. The location is almost perfect for GVSU students.

Agreed. Coming up the stretch of 131 gives the city strong Chicago-eque overtones. Filling in Area 4 and 5 would complete that image.

I've always thought the best skyline shot would be coming in from the west side on I-196 although I have no idea where you could actually stand to take the pic. However the best view of Grand Rapids in terms of looking like a big city is the view coming up from the south on 131.

I think DeVries had plans for it before GVSU turned his front-door step into a cul-de-sac. I remember him saying that most people prefer being on a cul-de-sac. For his building, it's the kiss of death until the rest of the area develops.

I think it will be a fine building someday. Butt-ugly is only skin deep. ;)

Archived