Arkansas Music Pavilion

masons_dad1

I think that if the land at the SE corner of the I540/ Wedington interchange had been offered for free like the Hunt land in Benton County was the AMP would be going in there. If some entity in Fayetteville had stepped up and made the financial commitment that has been made from the Benton County area it would be likely that the AMP would built in Fayetteville. The WAC depends on donations for much of it's budget so they are doing what makes financial sense for them to do. I don't like seeing the AMP move from Fayetteville any more than I liked seeing the WAC larger theater going to the north but I hope that the Fayetteville administration and residents see that we need to look at what is best for the city now.

It is clear that the University of Arkansas backs whatever the major donor supports- after all, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Again, that is cynical  to say but I believe it is true. The Fayetteville administration has always had the least say in what occurs and I realize now that they have known that all along. It is also clear that the WAC will not be leaving the facility on Dickson Street and so it is a choice as to whether Fayetteville wants to show no support for improving the building or do we want the planned expansion. I've read many negative online comments about the WAC and AMP plans but many seem to come from those who bash the WAC regardless of the issue. It seems to me that because the UA will support the expansion and many business owners in the city see that it will be good for them that there is a good chance of the bond issue passing. As the emotion of the situation passes and people look at this in a more pragmatic light they will see that it is a good investment in our city and it's economy.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen home offices of corporations all across this land and if Walmart wanted to bolster something, it could start with a halfway attractive. Campus. I get the whole frugal image they want to portray but converted stores and that sinfully ugly HQ is embarrassing and folks that visit and see it make light of it.

Did anyone see the news article in the paper on Osage Creek, apparently they are wanting on some state stuff relating to sewage and some design changes(suites between permanent chairs and lawn seating) to star work back up with full 2014 season as the goal. Yes, I know to take it with a grain of salt but the place hasn't been foreclosed on while it's just sat there.

I think you are right about them wanting to portray a frugal image. That  is the penny-pinching ethic that Sam Walton instilled in the company many years ago and still exists today. I guess when you have suppliers and vendors coming into the office and are trying to get the best deal you can from them frugal is the way to go.

The Osage Creek developers has said so many things that haven't happened that he has lost all credibility to me. It would be nice to see, though.

I think you are right about them wanting to portray a frugal image. That  is the penny-pinching ethic that Sam Walton instilled in the company many years ago and still exists today. I guess when you have suppliers and vendors coming into the office and are trying to get the best deal you can from them frugal is the way to go.

The Osage Creek developers has said so many things that haven't happened that he has lost all credibility to me. It would be nice to see, though.

The problem is no one's buying that anymore. The HQ is now a fiull fledged joke. They once wouldn't build stores inside major city areas too and now we are seeing them dabble in putting stores in mixed use developements even on a small scale in downtown Bentonville. A couple of ones in DC are rather large.

Since WAC made a wise move, that benefits NWA, we then follow the pattern that Home Office is Ugly? What about the Sam's Office (nicest building in area)? What about utilizing old stores in the area of office space (smart use)? What about all the VERY nice vendor buildings in the area?

Doesn't Walmart get credit where credit is due?

Since WAC made a wise move, that benefits NWA, we then follow the pattern that Home Office is Ugly? What about the Sam's Office (nicest building in area)? What about utilizing old stores in the area of office space (smart use)? What about all the VERY nice vendor buildings in the area?

Doesn't Walmart get credit where credit is due?

It is what it is. That's a pile of dog poop in the front yard and that has been the case since before the AMP first set up shop. The old stores converted to administrative duties are even more putrid. I'll bash Tyson on this one too. They have the old K-Mart in Fayetteville and the old Consumers in Springdale on their belt notch for this. At least Fayetteville actually had WalMart  do some landscaping when they wanted to do a major redo of the old 6th street store that houses Optical.

Walmart's E-Commerce HQ in San Bruno

Walmart_comHQ-supl*304.jpg?v=1

But I'll stop cause it doesn't have thing to do with the AMP.

Many towns have an empty site where a Walmart used to be. I would rather have a well maintained and occupied building any day. I am not disagreeing about their lack of curb appeal, just noting that a few ugly buildings doesn't derail all the positive influence of the Walton/Tyson/Hunt families have in this area.

TRB....

Didn't you start the comparison of Home Office in this discussion??? Coins have two sides, you just have to look at it.

I imagine if they could find another bargain like they did with the Sam's Club building they would take it but meanwhile they will make sure the retail buildings that make their money are nicer than the employee-only occupied buildings they own are.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit frustraing that another big project is going north, but all in all I'd rather have a quality site in Rogers that the ones they used in Fayetteville.  Both the mall parking lot and fairgrounds locations were pretty awful.

I do have to agree the Rogers location is better than the fairgrounds and the Mall.  I think the possible location on the south side of Fayetteville could have worked.  I suppose one of the drawbacks with it though is that it's basically at the edge of the metro.  While the Rogers location is more centrally located.  I can see why it's going north.  But from a Fayetteville standpoint it is frustrating to see something leaving.

I do have to agree the Rogers location is better than the fairgrounds and the Mall.  I think the possible location on the south side of Fayetteville could have worked.  I suppose one of the drawbacks with it though is that it's basically at the edge of the metro.  While the Rogers location is more centrally located.  I can see why it's going north.  But from a Fayetteville standpoint it is frustrating to see something leaving.

The location is somewhat central to the region, The setting will suck as much as the mall, this is basically the vision they had for the permanent mall venue they proposed. It's going to be surrounded by pretty much the same stuff it was at the mall in Fayetteville.

Some Amphitheaters get it right. Red Rocks come to mind and although rather small, Mud Island in Memphis with the river to your back and the skyline behind the stage is great.`

Mud%20Island%20Amphitheatre%20Tickets.jp

Once went to an Allman Bros. concert there. an afternoon storm had come through and cooled the evening air and behind the skyline the storm put on an impressive night lighting display as the band jammed. It's right up there in my top 5 concerts I've attended and I've gone to many.

This was the AMP rendering for the Mall in Fayetteville before the sale of the mall nixed it.

amp-rendering.jpg

Screen-shot-2011-09-07-at-5.26.28-PM.png

Now the Rogers Location rendering

AMP-aerial-view.jpg

Like I mentioned the locations are very similar and with the exception of the newer cover, much the same.

Archived