Let there be lights!

Beowulf

We all know about the big drive through displays - Roper Mountain Lights, BiLo Lights at the Upper State Fairgrounds, and the Hollywild Lights. We also all know the traditional spots for good light view, such as the Pelzer area. What I want to know is, has anyone stumble across any other great light displays in various neighborhoods? I'm going on a "light drive" this evening, and it would be nice to have some targets.

I'm not talking about your "uppity lights", as a friend described them. None of this

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are usually several nice displays in the Powdersville area. One in particular I drive by annually is the old Cely farm, which is right next to Bethesda United Methodist Church at the corner of Highway 81 and Piedmont Road. If you are traveling from Greenville, the church and farm will be on your left, not too far beyond the Ingles on your right. The old homestead is always covered in lights - fences, trees, and everything. :shades:

It's not exactly "wrap the place," and could actually be somewhat categorized as "uppity," if you wish, but I enjoy driving through both the North Main area and my own neighborhood in Travelers Rest. I'm a fan of simplicity, I suppose. :wub:

I've already got the wreaths and spot lights out, but that reminds me, I still have to put the dusk-til-dawn candles in the winders. :lol:

There's a house in Pebble Creek that is schizophrenic. The front is decorated very tastefully, but the back yard is a riot of color and lights. You can't see the back yard at all from the street in front of the house. You can only see the lights if you take one of the side streets, then only from a distance.

I haven't driven by their to see if it's lit up this year but in past years there is a house in Northwood Hills right off of Old Buncombe Road that is usually lit up pretty well, pretty close to giving Clark Griswald a run for his money. It's somewhere between Duncan Chapel and Sulpher Springs/North Franklin Road and can usually be seen from Old Buncombe Road. I forget the name of the Road it is own.

In years past a house in the Taylors Area has had a pig theme. I'm not sure if it's still being put up or not.

How about "Tiny Town". I think it's somewhere in the Easley area. I've been in years past but not sure if it's up this year or not.

It seems people decorate with lights less than they used to. I remember when A LOT of people had those light bulb candle things in their windows. Different house would theme around different colors. i.e. some house would have all blue lights, other houses all white, while others alternated between red, green, and white.

Also it's not exactly local but it's not that far of a drive either. Head up I-85 towards Charlotte and just over the NC/SC State line not far from Gastonia go to McAdenville. The whole town is decorated to the max every Christmas.

Yeah, the Pig House is no more. It did come down to a traffic issue. I think they are having (had?) the same problem with the Pelzer lights. Does anyone know if they are still doing those?

We did the BiLo lights at the Upper State Fairgrounds last night. It was a bit pricy, but it was still fun.

319167101_2abc1c74e4_d.jpg

Thanks, Skyliner. I may check it out.

I think the #1 requirement is that there have to be kids in the neighborhood. I used to teach at Brushy Creek Elementary, and we got lots of our kids from Silverleaf. You can always find some good displays in there.

[not meaning to compare Silverleaf with a trailer park in any way, shape, or fashion.]

Thanks, Skyliner. I may check it out.

I think the #1 requirement is that there have to be kids in the neighborhood. I used to teach at Brushy Creek Elementary, and we got lots of our kids from Silverleaf. You can always find some good displays in there.

[not meaning to compare Silverleaf with a trailer park in any way, shape, or fashion.]

Nice display, RT!

We did the Roper Mountain Lights last night. They are much, much better than the BiLo lights. I think part of it is that you see all of the BiLo lights at once on the approach. At Roper, you twist and turn around the mountain, bringing new surprises with each turn.

The other BIG difference I noticed between the two displays is the corporate sponsor signs. At BiLo Lights, the corporate sponsors had their logos done in huge light displays. At Roper, the sponsors had a subtle sign next to the display being sponsored, so the focus was on the lights, and NOT the company.

326000403_4657e5c8c2_d.jpg

326013190_c7db897254_d.jpg

And finally, in the Greenville News this morning there was an article that gave the addresses of several houses in the area that have impressive displays. Sorry, RT, yours wasn't listed.

Archived