Struggling with a "world class city" identity

swampfox43

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to go too far off topic but having lived in Charleston for seven years I just wanted to throw my two cents in. Overall the greater Charleston area is quite conservative. There is a large gay community, though it's definitely more lowkey than Charlotte and this ain't San Francisco. I lived downtown for most of my time there. I was out and never had any problems. By and large the city has such a slow laid back party vibe that people are too busy having fun to hate on you at least that was my experience at The College of Charleston. The gay marriage amendment was soundly defeated inside the peninsula around CofC. The only town in the state that fully defeated the amendment was funky Folly Beach, it's gay friendly and a lots of gays also live on James Island. Charleston has grown more liberal as the town gets more and more popular. It's gotten so expensive that most of the houses in the historic district are owned by New Yorkers that only live there doing Spoleto...but I digress... It can't be argued that it does not have a strong "identity". I unfairly compare Charleston's world class historical advantage to Charlotte but I can't help it. Since Charlotte is such a transplant city it makes sense that some new residents are impatient for a "sense of place" to grow in since they may have moved from towns that have character in spades. It's all relative to one's perception.

I'll plead guilty....I do care about Charlotte being a "world class city". As a native, I didn't necessarily pick where I spent a majority of my life, but it became infectious.

For a while, I've been a growth junky, and I still am, but after having travelled extensively, and now living in Boston, I can see that growth/size and "world class" are only perephirally related....considering that I have also lived in Atlanta, I can assert that no amount of growth, or tourist attractions "make" a place.

For a city like Charlotte (or Atlanta), achieving world-class status is a mercurial goal. Most residents aren't patient enough to wait the several hundred years it takes most places to reach this status, which is really just a stamp of approval from everyone who doesn't live there. Building more is not really the answer, though size does help with exposure. Really, its about being really good at something, or several things.

Charlotte will likely grow regardless. What I wish the leaders would realize, is its much easier to get things right the first time. Charlotte really needs to set an agenda, and commit to doing things right....build things that are timeless (and durable). The confidence that comes from this is what will make it world class....right now, we are too busy wondering if one more tourist attraction will get us that stamp of approval...its insecure and not "classy".

That all said...I want Charlotte to be world class dammit! Not because I'm insecure, but because I want the city to sustain.

^I would say however that Atlanta has somewhat of a world class status or identity. (for a number of reasons) Charlotte is a long way from that. Atlanta has the advantage of being first for the SE in almost everything. It might have been different in NC but unfortunately Charlotte competes with other cities in NC whereas in GA, Atlanta (the region) does not have the same problem.

It can't be argued that it does not have a strong "identity". I unfairly compare Charleston's world class historical advantage to Charlotte but I can't help it. Since Charlotte is such a transplant city it makes sense that some new residents are impatient for a "sense of place" to grow in since they may have moved from towns that have character in spades. It's all relative to one's perception.

A part of the reason for these sentiments is that most people move here for job reasons. Since we are landlocked and don't have a watefront or unique characteristics, it's more of a blank slate. And some transplants want to import what they enjoy. I don't like NASCAR or care much about football, that does not mean I hate Charlotte. If I am still here I will like it better when the new museums open and real retail moves Uptown. Those options are similar to where I used to live. That's not a bad thing.

And these are the same people who choose to move here, but insist on clinging their former homes. Take football, for instance. Now I know the Panther's sucked this year, but before that when the team went to the Super Bowl, there were tons of people in bars who rooted against them because they were from Buffalo, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland. If those places were so great, why move? I just have no patience for those who come here voluntarily, yet will not embrace what their new home has to offer. They'd rather beotch about that "(insert place name here) had better this or that..." If the wings are better in Buffalo, hop on I-81 and go for a drive. I, however, can't get decent fried chicken, barbeque or grits there (so I'll stay here).

Archived