PARISIAN at Citadel Mall

toddbarwick

As reported, the PARISIAN department store at Citadel Mall has been placed up for sale since its parent company, Saks Incorporated sold the chain to Belk Incorporated late this fall. Belk has plans to convert the majority of PARISIAN stores to the Belk nameplate in 2007; however the store at Citadel Mall and the location at Midtown at Forest Acres in Columbia will be sold since Belk already operates locations at these two centers.

Does anyone have any information about who Belk might sell the Citadel Mall PARISIAN to? I find it interesting that Macy's is now advertising on local TV in Charleston. Macy's has a presence in Savannah, Columbia, Greenville, & Charlotte. It would seem that Charleston would be its next logical market. Belk's website states that they hope to have a buyer in place by the end of 2006.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Macy's is the only department store I can think of. If that doesn't happen, I'd assume the mall owner would buy back the space. Citadel is too good of a mall to get a Burlington Coat Factory or Steve & Barry's, which usually seem to go to malls that aren't doing too well.

Too bad, as I like the Citadel Mall Parisian; it's the better of the two Parisians left in South Carolina- a lot like the old Greenville Mall one!

^ I'm getting that same feeling, especially after hearing that Macy's is advertising in Chas. The Macy's up here in Cola Place is okay, even though it is in a mall which is slowly losing economic steam. I don't know how Macy's will fare in Citadel Mall, but after the shooting in the Food Court restroom, I would consider a different department store if I was mall manager. If any of you have been reading the new Daniel Island Center thread, you know that two possible high-end stores are being considered: Neiman-Marcus and Nordstroms.

I would seriously attempt to place Nordstroms in Citadel Mall where the old Parisian is. This mall needs a more upscale chain to help attract the clientele that will ensure better security and spending power. Macy's may seem like more logical option, but it would be awesome to have a Nordstroms there. I could get some Bill's Khakis the next time I visited. :thumbsup:

Oddly enough - word on the street is the Penny's is eyeing the location. Which is odd since Penny's tried it at Citadel Mall about 5 years ago and left. (They were in the old Talheimer's location, where Target stands today).

I do agree that Macy's would be much more logical. Our area seems to be blanketed with Macy's TV commercials. Of course, those could just be national commercials.

This the the history of the Anchor shuffle at Citadel Mall as I've been told. There's really no simple way to explain it. It's unnecessarily complicated.

The original three anchors were Sears (same location), Belk (where Parisian is), and Talheimer's (where Target is).

Hect's bought the Talheimer's chain, but sold the Charleston location to Dillard's.

So - now we have Sears, Belk, and Dillards.

Dillard's builds a new building on the rear of the mall. JCPenny moves into the old Talheimer's/Dillard's location. I believe this was in the mid 1990s.

Now, CM has 4 anchors.

Belk builds a new building next to Dillard's on the back of the mall. Parisian moves into the old Belk location. This is in the late '90s

Now we have Sears, Belk (new building), Dillards (new building), JCPenny (old Dillard's/Talheimer's), and Parisian (Old Belk).

Penny's pulls out of CM. The building is torn down, and Target moves in. This is around 2001.

That leads us to the current anchor lineup.

Was that dicipherable?

Neither of the Charleston Malls are doing all that well. Northwoods and Citadel are below par, for the most part. The Belk store at CM has lousy numbers while the Mt Pleasant store kicks butt. I kind of doubt that Macy's would go in if a Belk struggles at that location.

Oddly enough - word on the street is the Penny's is eyeing the location. Which is odd since Penny's tried it at Citadel Mall about 5 years ago and left. (They were in the old Talheimer's location, where Target stands today).

I do agree that Macy's would be much more logical. Our area seems to be blanketed with Macy's TV commercials. Of course, those could just be national commercials.

JCPenney might come back, but it doesn't seem likely to me. How many times have they re-entered a mall after closing?

So Belk was where Parisian is now at Citadel and Thalhimers was where Target is now. What, if anything, was where Belk and Dillard's are currently

^ I'm getting that same feeling, especially after hearing that Macy's is advertising in Chas. The Macy's up here in Cola Place is okay, even though it is in a mall which is slowly losing economic steam. I don't know how Macy's will fare in Citadel Mall, but after the shooting in the Food Court restroom, I would consider a different department store if I was mall manager. If any of you have been reading the new Daniel Island Center thread, you know that two possible high-end stores are being considered: Neiman-Marcus and Nordstroms.

I would seriously attempt to place Nordstroms in Citadel Mall where the old Parisian is. This mall needs a more upscale chain to help attract the clientele that will ensure better security and spending power. Macy's may seem like more logical option, but it would be awesome to have a Nordstroms there. I could get some Bill's Khakis the next time I visited. :thumbsup:

Macy's is the only department store I can think of. If that doesn't happen, I'd assume the mall owner would buy back the space. Citadel is too good of a mall to get a Burlington Coat Factory or Steve & Barry's, which usually seem to go to malls that aren't doing too well.

Too bad, as I like the Citadel Mall Parisian; it's the better of the two Parisians left in South Carolina- a lot like the old Greenville Mall one!

That Belk suit in Alabama got dropped.

Anyway, I've gone about ten rounds with Alabama forumites debating the upscaleness of Belk vs. Parisian, and neither side made much headway.

Belk is trying hard at Citadel Mall, but the demographics don't support upscale brands at that location. You can tell by the stores they co-tenant with that this is a decidely middle-market mall.

There is potential for upmarket shopping in Charleston, but its center, suprisingly, is in downtown. That's where all the big-name stores are, as well as the local upscale retailers.

Actually many of the Macy's commercials shown here are national commercials; however interestingly enough Macy's is also running LOCAL commercials during local programming on WCIV ABC-4 here in Charleston. This could be a foreshadowing of their entrance into Charleston. Target did the same thing before they entered Charleston.

I too have heard the JCPenney rumor. I've seen many JCPenney stores close in other malls but I've never seen one return to the same mall where they previously failed. It was painfully obvious that JCPenney's old Citadel store was not profitable. When you can park at the door at any time of the day and your car is one of three in the parking lot, it's not a good sign!

That Belk suit in Alabama got dropped.

Anyway, I've gone about ten rounds with Alabama forumites debating the upscaleness of Belk vs. Parisian, and neither side made much headway.

Belk is trying hard at Citadel Mall, but the demographics don't support upscale brands at that location. You can tell by the stores they co-tenant with that this is a decidely middle-market mall.

There is potential for upmarket shopping in Charleston, but its center, suprisingly, is in downtown. That's where all the big-name stores are, as well as the local upscale retailers.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the rumors of the old Parisian store tell of JCPenney relocating back to the mall. According to the P & C article below, the chain is planning to return to the mall, after a six-year hiatus. The store has been under an expansion phase lately, and according to officials, the chain is trying to compete against stores like Kohl's and Target. This is interesting, since Target occupies the area JCPenney used to be in, and a Kohls maybe located just down the road at the Magwood Shopping Center, where the old WalMart used to be.

It appears that Macy's isn't even in the running, but Citadel Mall does still have room for expansion. Another department store could very well be built there. I'm a little disappointed with JCPenney, though. I was really hoping for the upscale Nordstrom's, especially with the information todd has given. It is true, the mall caters to higher dollar consumers from Kiawah and Seabrook Islands as well as tourists.

J.C. Penney possible in West Ashley

Looks like the rumors of the old Parisian store tell of JCPenney relocating back to the mall. According to the P & C article below, the chain is planning to return to the mall, after a six-year hiatus. The store has been under an expansion phase lately, and according to officials, the chain is trying to compete against stores like Kohl's and Target. This is interesting, since Target occupies the area JCPenney used to be in, and a Kohls maybe located just down the road at the Magwood Shopping Center, where the old WalMart used to be.

It appears that Macy's isn't even in the running, but Citadel Mall does still have room for expansion. Another department store could very well be built there. I'm a little disappointed with JCPenney, though. I was really hoping for the upscale Nordstrom's, especially with the information todd has given. It is true, the mall caters to higher dollar consumers from Kiawah and Seabrook Islands as well as tourists.

J.C. Penney possible in West Ashley

• 2 weeks later...

Archived