Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FromCityToRural

Penmanship is back!

22 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061210/ap_on_...ntain_pen_lives

I read this article on Yahoo! news and was very happy to see what this school was doing.

I went to a private school here in the US largely funded by the German government and largely attended by German ex-pats. We learned our penmanship with fountain pens, and although I hated it at the time, I have since come to appreciate it a great deal. It forces you to think about what you write, rather than just being able to delete things, and has made me a careful writer both in spelling and in word choice. In a larger scope, it's also very fulfilling to do things with your own hands, and I still pride myself on doing things myself rather than buying things or hiring the work out.

I also believe it's why I am as traditional as I am today. I am only 21 and am currently attending college, but insist on writing as many of my assignments as I can by hand, I do not own a cell phone, ride a '56 Schwinn bike and am planning on building a '58 Chevy. I collect records (you remember these - the shiny black discs you play on turntables). I still write with fountain pens and have a small collection of nice pens which I regularly use. I have never used a flash drive or GPS, purely by choice. I shun computer usage and do not use them often - maybe a couple times per month - and have thus far resisted pretty well the increasing computerization of our daily lives. I think it's quite humorous how the generation growing up now (of which I am one) just can't imagine how things got done before computers and feel so naked and helpless without them. Being able to take care of things and appreciate life without a computer around has become quite handy and I firmly believe that I am happier because of it.

The point of this is, I am grateful I got the chance to learn to write with fountain pens, and it has taught me much beyond the scope of writing. I am very pleased to see this school doing this and hope that they continue to do this well into the future.

Penmanship is truly a dying art. When you see letters written in the 19th Century, the exquisite penmanship is quite striking. Too bad this elegant part of humanity is fading into oblivion.

I'd love to see this happen in US schools. Heck, I could use a class in Penmanship myself.

We had penmanship in 3rd and 4th grade. 3rd grade was the basics of writing in cursive and then in 4th grade you learn how to properly slant your paper and how to hold the pen/pencil.

Even when I had it, it was split up so half the year was penmanship and the other half keyboarding. Now keyboarding is taught all year as "technology immersion".

To be honest, penmanship isn't very useful in today's world. Of course we need to place more importance on good handwriting than we have been, but every paper I turn in, 90% of correspondance done is done by computer.

I just wish people would learn how to speak properly (yeah I see the irony, given that I'm writing from Georgia :D ) !!!

That reminds me of a joke I heard not too long ago:

A Minnesotan gets accepted to Princeton and enrolls. On his first day of classes, he walks up to another student and asks him "Excuse me, could you tell me where the student union is at?"

The student replies in a dry, arrogant tone "At Princeton, we don't end our sentences with prepositions."

The Minnesotan responds "Oh? Okay. Could you tell me where the student union is at, a$$hole?"

We tend to put prepositions at the end of certain sentences like "Are you coming with?" or "Where's so and so at?" because of a lingering carry-over from the German speakers in the state. There are some old folks in central-Minnesota that speak a weird mixture of German and English saying things like "The cow hat uber the fence gejumped and the cabbage gedamaged."

Another obversation I've had in regards to writing is the lack of shorthand, now days. My grandmother and many professors can do shorthand, and I often can't understand everything they write.

I just wish people would learn how to speak properly (yeah I see the irony, given that I'm writing from Georgia :D ) !!!

This thread is the first instance of someone knowing the meaning of "cursive" I've seen in a long time!

Ending sentences with "at" must be one of the most irksome examples of murdering our language. In the Pacific Northwest (Seattle etc) even people with Masters degrees end sentences with "at"!!!! yikes~~sends chills of disgust down my back.

^hahaha, my friends is from Seattle, Port Orchard actually, and he always says "Do you wanna come with?"

My response is usually- "with who?"

I live about 7 miles from Port Orchard:)

Another wierd pronounciation in this part of the country: vee-HICK-el for vehicle.

And something I just couldn't believe when I moved here is how people say "This is her" when answering the telephone. (instead of "this is she")

But getting back to the topic--penmanship is notoriously bad among doctors. Probably the worst of any group~~the UK even made it a law a few years ago that doctors have to type out all perscriptions.

People here simply say "speaking" or "this is". In more formal conversations, they would say "speaking", though.

I thought everyone knew what cursive is. Or do people use a different term in other parts of the country?

But getting back to the topic--penmanship is notoriously bad among doctors. Probably the worst of any group~~the UK even made it a law a few years ago that doctors have to type out all perscriptions.

Being from Georgia, how would you know when someone isn't speaking properly? :P

^^^Pillsbury, that was the best laugh I've ever had on UP! ....never knew that about Georgians:) heehee

A few years back there was a movement to get rid of cursive. The gist was why learn to write it when you've already learned to print, and most things you read are in print anyway. Made sense.

My cursive sucks. I print everything, because I can't even read my own writing. maybe I should have gone to med school.

^^^Pillsbury, that was the best laugh I've ever had on UP! ....never knew that about Georgians:) heehee

A few years back there was a movement to get rid of cursive. The gist was why learn to write it when you've already learned to print, and most things you read are in print anyway. Made sense.

My cursive sucks. I print everything, because I can't even read my own writing. maybe I should have gone to med school.

My signature is in cursive... I don't usually write in cursive, although when I'm writing fast my letters naturally flow together and you end up with a pseudo-cursive script.

I took a huge exam a couple of weeks ago, and you had to copy this pledge down on another sheet of paper stating that you would not cheat in any way. Not only did you have to re-write this paragraph-long pledge, but it had to be in cursive. It was actually upsetting because I almost couldn't do it. Seriously. I had almost forgottten. But it was weird, it came back like halfway through writing it.

^ Same here. If I had to re-read it in cursive, I probably couldn't make it out.

My signature is in cursive... I don't usually write in cursive, although when I'm writing fast my letters naturally flow together and you end up with a pseudo-cursive script.