Nashville On "Without a Trace"

Nashvillain

The drama "Without a Trace" did a show about a country band trying to make it big, when their breakout star was gunned down after a show in Philly (turns out the killer was a member of the band who was irredeemably hooked on smack. You are so Nashville if you're so strung out on heroin you kill your bandmate for fifty bucks) The evidence led the team to good ol' Nashvegas. The Hollywood stereotypes were flying free tonight boy. The local police chief's name was "Big Daddy" and some local chick was, of course, named Charlene and she was so hot for the northern city-slicker guy-cop. Everyone wore sweet Stetsons and sported real down south southern draaaaaawwwls. Anyway, the whole thing was pretty cute and they employed some quick shots of the skyline, go Nashville! And the songs performed in the show were supposedly written by Toby Keith or somebody and they weren't half-bad, steel guitars, fiddles and all.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not "Without a Trace"... it was the most idiotic of all shows, "Cold Case". It came on right after "Amazing Race" which my family watches religiously. I had seen the commercials during the afternoon football broadcasts and I knew immediately what it was going to be like.

BTW: I stopped watching "Cold Case" in its first season (it seemed like a pretty good concept at the onset). What did it for me was an episode which showed a prison in Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania!!!) and all the inmates were idiots with Southern accents... e.g. Nascar fan stereotype.

So when last night's episode came on, I told my wife what it was going to be (she's from Knoxville which was mentioned on the show as "a short drive over to Knoxville" LOL)... I told her to watch for the snapshots of a few landmarks like the CMHoF and the Ryman... and sho'nuff there they were.

We watched the intro scene in the police department with some guy named "Big Daddy" and we turned it OFF. As the screen went dark, my wife made a great observation. She said that she wondered if any of the production crew had even been to TN (we guess "NO"... that's a Red State, right?)... and then she said she was sure that none of those "stupid Hollywood types" knew that the governor is from Boston, the police chief is from Chicago, and the School Board Superintendent is from Miami. Just accept the fact that the stereotypes live on!!! LOL

You are correct... my (wife's) bad. And the school board supt. is not from Miami... he's from Los Angeles. He was considered for the Miami SB Supt. job a few years ago. So we were a bit twisted around on our facts... but the fact is that none of those officials are the "big daddy" of the "Cold Case" stereotype.

I try not to worry about all that, but even after all these years, I just wish they'd get it right.

How many other places do they just get wrong one way or another. Hollywood produces anything but reality.

Oh well, lucky us, we get to live here.

And I would be Serpas has been called Big Daddy before. lol.

Till the next time, let's shape the Stetsons. ha.

Archived