Surface Parking Lot at Trade and Poplar

tiblerbrit

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems both worthwhile and intriguing. Regardless of how people might feel about parochial education, it is great to imagine that type of use in such an urban location. In part, because it may open up the possibility of living a more urban life for some families if it meant that there was a private school for their children nearby to walk to.

I guess that would be a plausible theory on why they'd hold on to the land despite what I'm sure the Vue offered.

Midsouth, I am not saying you are 100% correct ... HOWEVER, on more than one occasion numerous individuals have told me the reason the church is holding this land (with the vast expanse of parking lots) is to eventually build their Christian high school in Uptown. I lend lots of credence to this; many folks have told me this. It could be totally speculation and/or untrue... however, it makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons.

And for any of those naysayers who believe they hold onto it strictly for the "church parking" -- it won't be too much a stretch to keep using it for that were there a high school there, no one comes in on weekends.....

It would probably be K-8 like Trinity Episcopal given the small location if it were to come to fruition.

There does seem to be momentum building in the community and the various leaders to add a 2nd Ward High School to the CMS plans. It has long been an aspect of the 2nd Ward Plan, as well as dream among alumni of the original 2nd Ward High School in Old Brooklyn to have a school be re-created by the same name.

As a former member and officer of First Pres (back in the '90s), at least then, the church thought that it would need more land for more buildings as the congregation grew. It's a very wealthy congregation so at least then its need for more space was more important than what a developer could pay it- and developers have offered various arrangements to the church.

Archived