Millerville Development

BayouCapitalCity

Welcome to Urban Planet BayouCaptital City

Millerville Academy was demolished; the agreement was to wait after the completion of widening Millerville Road to 5-lanes before developing the site. Chili's, PetSmart, and Office Depot(moving from O'Neal Ln.) and a possible bank branch will be going there.

Fairwood CC("L"shaped) was purchased then divided. The one-half closest to Old Hammond Hwy. is going to be single-family residential which has began. And a branch library to go in the front on donated land; But the library is still a few years away. The bottom half along I-12 to Millerville will be mixed-use. It hasn't started yet. Condo's, retail, office, and possible hotel. No car dealships; that was blocked numerous times at the Planning meetings.

Waiting for Millerville to be widened would have been ideal w/ the all traffic headaches; however the opportunity to lure Best Buy/Lowe's was too good to pass up while Bass Pro in Denham Springs was continually being delayed. That was originally going to Bass Pro, but Millerville capitalized on the opportunity.

Hope that helped some :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Welcome to Urban Planet BayouCaptital City

Millerville Academy was demolished; the agreement was to wait after the completion of widening Millerville Road to 5-lanes before developing the site. Chili's, PetSmart, and Office Depot(moving from O'Neal Ln.) and a possible bank branch will be going there.

Fairwood CC("L"shaped) was purchased then divided. The one-half closest to Old Hammond Hwy. is going to be single-family residential which has began. And a branch library to go in the front on donated land; But the library is still a few years away. The bottom half along I-12 to Millerville will be mixed-use. It hasn't started yet. Condo's, retail, office, and possible hotel. No car dealships; that was blocked numerous times at the Planning meetings.

Waiting for Millerville to be widened would have been ideal w/ the all traffic headaches; however the opportunity to lure Best Buy/Lowe's was too good to pass up while Bass Pro in Denham Springs was continually being delayed. That was originally going to Bass Pro, but Millerville capitalized on the opportunity.

Hope that helped some :thumbsup:

So BestBuy and Lowe's were originally headed to Denham? Oh well...something will take its place, no doubt. So they're putting a Chili's on Millerville too? I wonder at what point they hit market saturation?

No problem, good luck :thumbsup:

Here is another of the many developments on Millerville Road.

dec12propjp7.jpg

This is located on the southwest side of I-12/Millerville; across I-12 from Fairwood CC and Best Buy, Super Target, Lowes,etc.

These go way back..312 single units; a dense suburban development

Not to start throwing up comparisons, but I lived in apartment complex in southeast Shreveport up until a year ago... between 300 and 400 units, and it was ENORMOUS. I can imagine that's the scope of this complex as well.

Either Horton or KB Homes is doing a sizeable project on or near the old golf course, but it is where it fronts onto Old Hammond. The sad part is that neither has a history of building anything attractive in Houston. Lennar is a better homebuilder in my opinion, but I am from Houston and that is the only market I know. If Horton and KB do well here, then I am sure it will attract other homebuilders. This might cause problems for local contractors, but it might mean more affordable homes and more choices for us.

I had heard that the southern part of the golf course was going to be multi-story condominium communities. I don't know who is doing it, but I do know there was a debate of interconnectivity with local subdivisions. Apparently the existing subdivisions want interconnectivity, but the new development will be gated.

Those new Apartments on Millerville are nice. Probably going condo in no time.

Edit: Just checked....both KB Homes and D.R. Horton are making their first communites in Baton Rouge off Millerville. Horton's is of Avlalon Ave. KB Homes is off of Old Hammond at the Northeastern edge of the old Fairwood Golf Course. Together, they make up about 350 new homes- all of which are in-fill projects.

Edited by brresident

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^ Yes. They are building streets and getting the land primed for the houses on the Old Hammond Hwy. side

The mess on Millerville Road; I mean progress.

> construction is moving along on the 5 laning of Millerville Rd.

more024tu6.jpg

*Sorry not the best pic

Edited by richyb83

• 6 months later...

I went ahead and posted this on Millerville thread; eventhough it was posted on BR Growth last week....

"Suburban Planet" :whistling: Millerville Road is undergoing a serious transformation; 5 lanes is virtually complete; the intersection at Old Hammond Hwy. is a big mess. Wish they would remove the orange barrels and have them closer to actual construction. I guess they are waiting on painting the lanes??

Super Target/Lowe's/Best Buy,etc. shopping center is now moving to it's next phase quickly; Chili's is already complete.

Nearby across the road...

*Developer plans shopping center for Fairwood site

A Birmingham, Ala., developer wants to build a 54-acre retail development at the intersection of Interstate 12 and Millerville Road, on the old Fairwood Country Club site. AIG Baker Real Estate has filed permits with the city-parish planning commission for The Greens at Millerville. The shopping center would have 435,696 square feet of retail space, anchored by an 89,000-square-foot store and an 86,000-square-foot store. The development would also have 37,000 square feet of restaurant space.

*Business Report Property of the Week*

powoct9t240xt2.jpg

^PetSmart and Office Depot are building new stores in the Stirling Properties shopping center at Interstate 12 and Millerville Road. The two locations should be open by the first quarter of 2008.

Edited by richyb83

That stuff went up quick! East B.R. and Denham are really coming into some good stuff. :D

Yes Millerville is booming. I live in Sherwood Forest so I am always on Millerville for some reason or another. I am amazed at how fast the chili's went up and how fast the shopping center is going up. They are taking no time at all. It took a little while to get the 5 lanes started but once they did it was off. Course I can't wait for them to finish, especially the interstection with Old Hammond Hwy. LOL Now if we can only get Old Hammond Hwy to be 5 laned all the way out to O'neal......

Yeah I don't actually understand the prioritization of which roads get widened first?? How does Tiger Bend Road way down between neighborhoods get 5-laned; and not a more important Old Hammond Hwy that parallel's I-12 and Hwy.190???? :dontknow: This is part of the reason BR is dependant on the Interstates. Also O'Neal Lane's lack of progress has been a joke as they always dispute who's road is it?? City or State??

My question about the explosion of development in the Millerville area is demand?? Exactly what anchor stores of 89,000sq.ft.? & 86,000sq.ft? will be across the road at Millerville Greens?? When you already have Super Target/Lowe's/Best Buy/Hibbet Sports; and now Office Depot w/ Pet Smart?? What else is there planned so close by??

Hopefully they will be able to keep some of the pretty golf course"greens", trees, look to it! Possibly a future hotel ??

It finally took FOUR TIMES at the City Planning Comm. meetings to "make sure" the tricky developers did not go behind peoples back build an awful car dealership :sick: they wanted so badly at Fairwood CC, what shame it would have been

My question about the explosion of development in the Millerville area is demand?? Exactly what anchor stores of 89,000sq.ft.? & 86,000sq.ft? will be across the road at Millerville Greens?? When you already have Super Target/Lowe's/Best Buy/Hibbet Sports; and now Office Depot w/ Pet Smart?? What else is there planned so close by??

Is there a Kohl's in the area? I also know J.C. Penney, Gordman's, Marshall's, T.J. Maxx, Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods are all doing national expansions right now with free-standing "junior anchor" stores... That's too small for a CostCo isn't it? There's all kinds of stuff it could be!

Thanks Rardy...it could be anyone of those. Kohl's just opened in BR many months ago at Siegen Marketplace near I-10; Dick'sSporting Goods is about to build near Mall of La.

I did not realize JC Penny's had free standing stores.

WBRZ just did a quick story on Millerville Greens. Saw a brief glimpse of some site plans; did not see potential hotel?? I'm sure they will mash every tree in sight ^_^ Only a small buffer-zone? I wonder if the developer lives up to his word in aiding $ for a westbound off-ramp to I-12 that they once promised?? They are/were? supposed to reconfigure the traffic signals with this project too.

Edited by richyb83

Yeah I don't actually understand the prioritization of which roads get widened first?? How does Tiger Bend Road way down between neighborhoods get 5-laned; and not a more important Old Hammond Hwy that parallel's I-12 and Hwy.190???? :dontknow: This is part of the reason BR is dependant on the Interstates. Also O'Neal Lane's lack of progress has been a joke as they always dispute who's road is it?? City or State??

Hopefully they will be able to keep some of the pretty golf course"greens", trees, look to it! Possibly a future hotel ??

It finally took FOUR TIMES at the City Planning Comm. meetings to "make sure" the tricky developers did not go behind peoples back build an awful car dealership :sick: they wanted so badly at Fairwood CC, what shame it would have been

O'neal is certainly not in city limits. Millerville isn't even in city limits. City limits end at Flanery. With the development at Fairwood I hope it's something nice. I'm sure they will leave a buffer zone of trees along the property lines but that's probably going to be about it. I really don't see any of our newer developments keeping much of the trees. We are getting to the point where we have very little land to develop so any developer is going to have to make the most out of what land they do buy. I know everyone likes the "green" city but I think thats pretty much over. The only "green" we will be left with is what we already have, that's just the way it goes.

Wow Dan! Great job getting that site plan; looks like they will add the westbound on ramp to I-12. But nothing that looks like a hotel(was to go on bottom-right/SE side of property)

I'm not as green as one might think; but that was one cool looking golf course. An urban/suburban oasis. O'Neal and Millerville are in the city limits south of I-12; just not the north-side. The city limits are on the edge of the golf course below Flannery Rd. With less land more multi-story buildings would be cool; hopefully construction co$t; materials; labor shortage,etc. will ease up a bit.

Wow Dan! Great job getting that site plan; looks like they will add the westbound on ramp to I-12. But nothing that looks like a hotel(was to go on bottom-right/SE side of property)

I'm not as green as one might think; but that was one cool looking golf course. An urban/suburban oasis. O'Neal and Millerville are in the city limits south of I-12; just not the north-side. The city limits are on the edge of the golf course below Flannery Rd. With less land more multi-story buildings would be cool; hopefully construction co$t; materials; labor shortage,etc. will ease up a bit.

Right I meant the area north of 12 wasn't in city limits. The problem with multi-story buildings is alot of ppl have the "Not In My Backyard" attitude. I personally don't have a problem with it, course it really depends on that the building looks like and what it's going to be used for.

Another siegen marketplace on Millerville? I thought we learned what not to do with this?

There is one traffic light to get into and out of this whole development, and it doesn't appear to be at an existing intersection.

I don't approve. Maybe a restarant or two, but put in residential and interconnect with other streets....and the city needs to change the on ramp for West-Bound I-10 to the other side of the road, which is counter-intuitive because they built it the correct way south of I-12. It's in a horrible position where it is, and everyone that needs to go towards Downtown from Millerville has to turn left to get on the interstate. It may have been cheaper, but now that the area is developed it needs to be switched over. It doesn't work at College drive very well, and it won't work on Millerville. If they do it right, then they can eliminate the traffic light right there.

They had better at least keep some of those mature trees and try not to clear cut the whole mess. If it's going to those idots at the planning commisson, then you know it won't get done the correct way.

Edited by cajun

So BestBuy and Lowe's were originally headed to Denham? Oh well...something will take its place, no doubt. So they're putting a Chili's on Millerville too? I wonder at what point they hit market saturation?

Chilis is like McDonalds except it's not fast food....they'll put one every mile if they can sell the franchise.