Millerville Development

BayouCapitalCity

Another siegen marketplace on Millerville? I thought we learned what not to do with this?

There is one traffic light to get into and out of this whole development, and it doesn't appear to be at an existing intersection.

I don't approve. Maybe a restarant or two, but put in residential and interconnect with other streets....and the city needs to change the on ramp for West-Bound I-10 to the other side of the road, which is counter-intuitive because they built it the correct way south of I-12. It's in a horrible position where it is, and everyone that needs to go towards Downtown from Millerville has to turn left to get on the interstate. It may have been cheaper, but now that the area is developed it needs to be switched over. It doesn't work at College drive very well, and it won't work on Millerville. If they do it right, then they can eliminate the traffic light right there.

They had better at least keep some of those mature trees and try not to clear cut the whole mess. If it's going to those idots at the planning commisson, then you know it won't get done the correct way.

I couldn't make out the sketch, but I agree seigen marketplace is a mess! The traffic is awful there, and the engeering is terrible!

This is an instance where we could use the texas style frontage road, so you have mutiple entries and exists and no congestion!

Edited by BRPJ

I'm not thrilled with their one-way ideas; I thought they were learning from the past mistakes like Rave Theatre on O'Neal and Siegen Marketplace, etc. Connectivity is the key.! BR has come along way; but has a long way to go.

The new intersection for the shopping center will cause them to move the traffic signal to the opposite side of Blockbuster. And take-out the (north) traffic-light on top of the over-pass for westbound ramp. Traffic coming from South will continue to use the circular ramp; while But further up Millerville their choice on locations for traffic signals is questionable.

More frontage roads for the Interstates in BR would be ideal. No.Harrel's Ferry is almost like a frontage road; ideally would run all the way to Millerville; however it dead ends at Jones Creek and too much residential on the other side to continue east.

Agreed... connectivity is the key to our traffic maddness. I don't possibly see how they can add another intersection to that area. I say leave the intersection where it's at and connect the new development to the development that is there already. If it means have to mitigate some property in that area, b/c you know those residents would complain, then so be it.

• 1 month later...

Agreed... connectivity is the key to our traffic maddness. I don't possibly see how they can add another intersection to that area. I say leave the intersection where it's at and connect the new development to the development that is there already. If it means have to mitigate some property in that area, b/c you know those residents would complain, then so be it.

Yea, one would think Baton Rouge would've learned its lessons by now! Don't get NEAR Siegen Marketplace between noon and 6pm, or you'll be stuck in traffic ... until 6pm! the Millerville development should have as many entrances as possible, and the intersection at I-12 needs to be upgraded, but then again, so do ALL the intersections with I-12. This type of intersection at I-65 and Airport BLVD. in Mobile has done wonders for the traffic problems, plus we have service (frontage) roads for all of I-65 and the commercialized part of Airport Blvd. You can see from the satellite image that it used to be a standard cloverleaf intersection, but they re-did it so now it works much better... Google Maps of Intersection

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good queston! I'm not too sure anymore :dontknow: The sale was to close in the Fall?? I noticed the big sign there a few eeks ago. What a shame; now 1/2 old Fairwood CC golf course just sits there overgrown; and also a construction holding ground for other nearby road projects.

At least the other 1/2 will be completed as a new developer has come in to finish what the KB Homes didn't.... Lakes at Stonebridge.

• 1 year later...

BR has been a developers town in the past...but looks like this has changed

The impact of fees

Songy, the executive vice president of Stirling Properties, is one of a growing number of developers statewide who believe DOTD is hurting residential and commercial development by requiring payment for sins of the past. “I don’t want to be antagonistic. I want a good transportation system that is as effective and safe as possible,” he says. “I also want reasonable access to that system.”

Rule 70, which became law in 2007, states all new and expanding developments that generate 100 hourly trips, or vehicles on the road per hour, on a state highway must submit a traffic study. That also applies to projects on public or private streets with access within one-fourth of a mile of a state highway.

DOTD traffic engineering division administrator Peter Allain says DOTD has no set impact assessment and only requires developers to pay for improvements that will mitigate the traffic caused by the proposed project.

But the development community tells a different story....Songy’s theory is simple. If developers have no confidence in the appeals process, then why should they bother? That’s not even taking into account how long the effort might take. By the time a decision is reached, it could be far too late to continue with the project.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2009/nov/16/impact-fees-rlet1/

HERE IS ONE EXAMPLE...Department of Transportation and Development traffic-impact requirements have stalled development of a 500,000-square-foot shopping center on part of the site of the former Fairwood Country Club at Interstate 12 and Millerville Road;DOTD requirements for a privately funded westbound on-ramp and service road...While the project never has been denied, the required impact studies have totaled several hundred thousand dollars and a stack of paper almost six feet high without any construction taking place.

“I want them [DOTD] to know that private industry has an interest in this, but no matter how hard I try to get approved through the system, I get stuck in a hole,” Gladney says. “It’s been three-and-a-half years.”

newsi12atmillervillevut.jpg

While the 50-acres of the old Fairwood CC fronting I-12 remains for sale as a undeveloped green-lush/overgrown golf course; the other half is filing up with houses (Lakes at Stonebridge) and nearing completion of the new Louisiana Atletic Association(LHSAA)at the old club house and future Fairwood branch library(old tennis courts) at the entrance at Old Hammond Hwy.

With the recession/retail slow down; I see this remaining vacant for a while...Super-Target; Best Buy; Lowe's are on the other side of Millerville Rd.

Edited by richyb83

• 11 months later...

Wonder if this new pizza joint is going to be on the north or south side of I-12?? Glad to see the 1/2 of old Fairwood CC fronting I-12 is still green-lush..eventhough it's a bit overgrown..it still doesn't look that bad; better than a cheezy strip of big-box stores. I use to enjoy riding my bike on the cart-trails of the old golf course...some of it is blocked off..

Rotolo's planning Millerville Road location

Rotolo's planning Millerville Road location via @brbizreportPost on TwitterShare on FacebookRotolo's Pizzeria is planning to open a new location on Millerville Road next year. Mitch Rotolo, founder of the company, says he just acquired the land and intends to break ground soon. He expects to employ up to 30 workers at the new location. The company has opened five restaurants this year, including one that recently opened in Belle Chasse; that brings its current locations total to 13. More growth is likely in the next two years: Rotolo says he is considering markets on the Northshore, such as Slidell and Mandeville. The company has three other franchises in southeast Louisiana; its first out-of-state franchise is slated to open in three weeks in Arizona. "Our customers have been responding well to our products," Rotolo says. "They've been giving back to us, so why not keep opening locations if it's working?"

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2010/oct/27/rotolos-planning-millerville-road-location/

• 1 year later...

Widening work on Millerville Road south of I-12 has finally started....

Construction at the new Fairwood branch library at old Fairwood CC fronting Old Hammond Hwy...

march2012006.jpg

1/2 the golf couse continues to slowly fil-up w houses; Lakes at Stonebridge w the dreaded single-entrance.

Meanwhile...on the other(1/2) side of the old Fairwood golf course...the 50-acre property fronting I-12 remains a lush green oasis still not too overgrown. The numerous sneaky attempts to have car dealerships was halted long ago a Metro-Council meetings & the chances for the big-box shopping center decreases with the proposed Juban Crossing 6-7 miles to the East. A nearby drainage project has made large dirt hills on the course; tempting for some serious motorcyling or biking...but will be hard to pull off w the "Keep Out" signs. Maybe a nature preserve is in order w all the Hawks nesting amongst the tree tops.

*older pic doesn't do it justice

newsi12atmillervillevut.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

AR-120619974.jpg

This 6,000-square-foot space under construction on Millerville Road, between Interstate 12 and South Harrell's Ferry Road, will serve as Rotolo's Pizzeria's corporate headquarters and its 25th restaurant. The eatery will occupy almost 3,000 square feet, and the building will house a training center for employees and franchisees. It is slated to open by Sept. 1. JMS Construction is the general contractor.

http://www.businessreport.com/section/businessreport0113

• 2 months later...

Thought the lush green oasis fronting I-12 west of Millerville Road was here to stay. The Fairwood Civic association have fought these b*st*rds on numerous occasions bec they have been trying to sneak in the car dealership; anything but that! They won't give up??

Is the original plan of a new westbound ramp from Millerville to I-12 still in the works?? Getting rid of the current looped off ramp?? And moving the traffic signal abt 100 yards north to the new intersection/entrance?

Fairwood project revived

An effort to develop the former Fairwood Country Club property along Interstate 12 and Millerville Road may be coming back to life. A development group is looking to put 320 apartments and 393,000 square feet of retail and office space on roughly 54 acres, called The Greens at Millerville, according to plans filed with the city-parish Planning Commission.

The project was previously approved by the commission and Metro Council in 2006 when Windy Gladney and Jim Tanner first proposed it, though the development never got under way.

The current filing, which will go before the commission Sept. 17, adds the multifamily component and would allow for automobile sales. During previous discussions before the Metro Council, however, the developers had agreed to rule out allowing automobile sales.

Gladney could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The Greens would include one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments with a clubhouse, office and unspecified amenities. The development would have 10 acres of green space. The office and retail portions would be spread out among 19 buildings across the property, according to plans.

http://theadvocate.c...project-revived

Old site plan post #19...intersection in question post #12...aerial post #38

Edited by richyb83

Not gonna lie.....I want something to be built there, but I can't see anything large going in, especially if they want a new on-ramp. I don't see any chance of more residential there either, being that close to the interstate with, at best, one connection into the adjacent subdivision.

That would be an ideal place for soccer fields or a few baseball diamonds. But they generate traffic too.

Don't think anything will go there. I've used that street in rush hour many times, and the current setup is not bad. I don't think we need yet another entrance point on 12.

I don't see an issue connecting to the ramp intersection....provided the end product does not generate excessive traffic. A park, or a couple of hotels are one thing. A Costco is completely different.

One of the older site plans looke like another Siegen marketplace. That's out of the question.

Edited by cajun

A bookstore would be nice.

Yes.

Tha area is short on bookstores now that the old place in Brodmoor shopping center closed. Although I'm not sure if book stores are being built these days with Amazon doing so well.

We used to joke that the shortage of book stores east of Sherwood towards Livingston and north of Florida was because the clientele didn't read enough. Sadly, I think there was some truth to that joke.

Edited by cajun

The Interstate system is Main Street for BR...Figured it would only be a matter of time before something was built. There will be a narrow green buffer-zone along Fairwood Estates..but afraid some of those tall trees with Hawk's nest on top could go.....

And of course yet another infamous single-entranced development....w/ emergency entrance in the back corner next to 3-story apts

These dudes probably realize they can't fill enough retail in a property that size...the reason they refuse to take the answer "No" to a car dealership...

Greens at Millerville seeks new life

The Greens at Millerville first gained approval from the city-parish Planning Commission in 2006 to redevelop the former Fairwood Country Club property between Old Hammond Highway and Interstate 12 as a planned unit development, but the project was abandoned. It is now going back before the Planning Commission on Sept. 17. Its developers are seeking approval to develop on the 54 acres parts of the original concept—apartments at the southeast corner of Millerville Road and I-12, as well as office and retail space—but also the addition of an auto sales lot and commercial spaces, uses that were previously denied. Applicant C. Wallace Gladney Jr. did not return calls from Daily Report seeking comment.

http://www.businessr...M&date=20120911

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

The car dealership is supposed to go closer to I-12....The apartments would go behind the dealership. One way in & out with new intersection moving traffic signal from current entrance ...and a new exit ramp westbound; eliminating the circular off ramp.

The Greens at Millerville

http://www.businessr...staff-directory

Click a photo to enlarge

AR-121009936.jpg?q=100&maxw=95&maxh=63

EP-121009936.jpg?q=100&maxw=95&maxh=63

EP-121009936.jpg?q=100&maxw=95&maxh=63

AR-121009936.jpg?q=100&maxw=300

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

So, why did they want that car dealership so much??

Generates taxes for the city, and profit for the owner....and more choices for the consumer.

It's just a terrible place for it. It would make more sense without the apartments.

Edited by cajun