Millerville Development

BayouCapitalCity

• 2 months later...

Good question...6 months seems like a safe assumption...

Seemed a bit too soon to shift ALL 3 lanes of westbound I-12 traffic when they are not even working on that section yet! Looks like some progress is being made with concrete already there for part of the on-ramp on the side of Millerville Rd. ... the wettest April in 18 years probably partly responsible for the delay?

Hopefully there will ONLY be two dealerships!

• 1 month later...

Another update.

320-unit apartment complex planned for The Greens at Millerville
Steve Sanoski {sodEmoji.|} @SteveSanoski
July 1, 2015

Plans for The Greens at Millerville mixed-use development at Interstate 12 and Millerville Road continue to grow.

Developers have drafted a final development plan for a 320-unit apartment complex that would be located on a 16.9-acre tract in the development and would consist of 10 separate three-story buildings. The developers turned in the plan today to the Planning Commission, which will take up the application at its Aug. 17 meeting.

“One building includes a 5,300-square-foot leasing office with amenities space, with apartments located on the upper two levels,” according to the application, which states that the nine other buildings will consist solely of apartments.

The apartment buildings would take up just shy of three acres, while the 593 parking spaces proposed—which is nearly 140 more than required by development codes—would take up a little more than four acres. A total of 9.8 acres of open space is also proposed for the project.

Construction on the complex would begin as soon as all necessary approvals are obtained, with completion expected six months thereafter, according to the application.

As first reported by Daily Report in January, Richards Honda move its dealership at 7791 Florida Blvd., which has been in operation for 43 years, to the development. Also moving to The Greens at Millerville is The RV Shop, which plans to vacate its longtime location at 14340 S. Choctaw Drive and build a new sales and service center on five acres in the development. The new location would include about 2.5 acres of RVs as well as a 2,500-square-foot service and parts department with 15 service bays.

The Greens at Millerville is a 56-acre project that was conceived nearly 10 years ago but was delayed after developer Windy Gladney became embroiled in a lawsuit with his former partner and the bank that helped finance the project.

businessrepot.com

Edited by dan326

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does it come across like work has stopped? Seemed like they were making progress on the onramp, then no more.

Exactly..they had been making progress on the on-ramp...then it all mysteriously just stopped for a couple months! A few weeks back they were working on the Retaining wall on the bottom side...NOW FINALLY it looks like they may have re-started the on-ramp again they past few days...we shall see...

What was up with the delay? Were/are they getting the money to build the on-ramp in increments?  The shift in all the I-12 westbound lanes have been a pain in the butt...

Advocate following Urban Planet lead....and while on the subjuct of the Millerville/I-12 on-ramp...they reminded us Lee Drive widening is NOT in the works...ouch!

Oh yeah and the name The Greens at Millerville trips me out..lol! Pics in story are NOT exactly up to date either

QUESTION: The new Millerville Road entrance ramp to Interstate 12 West that’s under construction causes daily congestion and not a few accidents. Work on the ramp seems to have stopped for the last several weeks. What is the delay in completing the work and removing the barricades?

ANSWER: The ramp is being built as part of The Greens at Millerville mixed-use development, which is expected to include an apartment complex, fitness center, auto dealership and other retail space, on the old Fairwood Country Club site.

Anastasia Semien, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation and Development, tells us: “The current work at the Millerville/I-12 interchange is a privately funded project, governed by state and federal specifications, associated with the proposed development. Complications with major utility crossings have caused delays in the recent work progress near I-12. Related work along Millerville Road is ongoing. The travel lanes of I-12 should be restriped to the original configuration this fall.”

http://theadvocate.com/home/13597037-125/ask-the-advocate-traffic-woes

Edited by richyb83

• 4 months later...

Wtf...

Texas-based Buc-ee’s coming to Baton Rouge with its first out-of-state location

STEPHANIE RIEGEL
MARCH 8, 2016

Buc-ee’s, the well-known Texas rest stop and convenience store chain, is opening its first location outside the Lone Star State at the Greens at Millerville, developer Windy Gladney’s 56-acre development at Millerville Road and Interstate 12 in Baton Rouge.

Buc-ee’s has signed a purchase agreement with Gladney for an undisclosed price to acquire a 15-acre parcel on the development, which might sound like a lot of land for a gas station and convenience store. But the first Louisiana Buc-ee’s location, like all Buc-ee’s outlets, will be huge—more than 60,000 square feet of retail space and more than 90 fueling positions.

Buc-ee’s, which boasts the largest convenience store in the country and also the cleanest restrooms in the world, was founded in the early 1980s in Lake Jackson, Texas, and has 32 locations in that state.

Edited by dan326

It's really no surprise this hodge podge of developments is going to happen at this so-called Greens @ Millerville....Juban Crossing 5-6 miles to the East will make it difficult to attract the type of retail tenants some were expecting.  This Buc-ee's sounds better served in Satsuma further east...

Millerville/I-12 already has Super Target/Best Buy/Lowe's/Office Depot/Chili's/Chick Fila-A , etc.....

The best thing to come out of all of this is the new West bound on-ramp to I-12 that has been moving painfully slow with the setbacks...

Edited by richyb83

Buc-ee's is an interesting concept.   Oddly enough, on east-west corridors, places like that usually gravitate to the more visible NE or SW quadrant of the intersection.....not the NW.    I've never been to one, but I've passed by a few.   I think they may have 30+ fuel pumps and at least one or two restaurants inside.

I wanted this development to have more office space and fewer apartments, car dealerships, and C-stores.    Not overly impressed with the quality of tenants going in there.  I assumed that they'd at least attract some of the more decent restaurant chains and perhaps even a Sports Authority, Academy, Top Golf, etc.    Millerville certainly seems way to busy for a Buc-ees. 

Hopefully the area will be well landscaped at least.   From the current layout, the first thing you see when you drive into the development will be a bunch of truck docs behind those larger box stores.    Hopefully that is mitigated significantly.  

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

That new West-bound I-12 on-ramp looks more than ready for a Test-drive(FINALLY!)...just move the those orange barrier sticks out of the way :D

Interesting to see Zaxby's go up against Chick Fil-A...That place does some serious business

Rumor has it another fast-food chain will going into the last remaining parcel of the Sterling Millerville development across the street on the north-end; next to Chili's near Avalon Ave

Edited by richyb83

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2016 at 7:21 PM, richyb83 said:

The I-12 West-bound On-ramp at Millerville Road is supposed to open Tuesday the 19th!!  :thumbsup:

New on-ramp at Millerville and I-12 opens Tuesday morning

A new on-ramp opens Tuesday that will make it easier for motorists to connect from Millerville Road to the westbound lanes of Interstate 12.

The new ramp will alleviate what has been a source of gridlock and accidents in the area for years by enabling motorists on Millerville to access westbound I-12 by simply turning right. Currently, to access I-12 west, drivers going south on Millerville first must turn left, toward the east, and loop around.

Developer Windy Gladney built the new on-ramp at a cost of some $4 million. It will enable motorists to more efficiently connect to his new mixed-use development, The Greens at Millerville, which is under construction at Millerville and I-12.

Gladney says though he was required by the state to build some sort of access road to his 56-acre development, he chose to develop a more complex and costly on-ramp because he wanted to improve congestion and eliminate frequent traffic accidents at the site.

“It will be a great deal for the whole area,” Gladney says. “But it wasn’t quick. It took a lot longer than we would have ever imagined.”

The Greens at Millerville will have a 320-unit apartment complex and several commercial tenants, including Zaxby’s, Golden Corral, Richard’s Honda, a sales and service center for the RV Shop, and Buc-ee’s, a Texas-based rest stop and convenience store chain.

—Stephanie Riegel

https://www.businessreport.com/article/new-ramp-millerville-12-opens-tuesday-morning

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Westbound I-12 On-ramp has been sweet!  The adjacent new Intersection reconfiguration Greens  at Millerville is going smoother esp since Super Target(re-opening in Nov1st? or Jan17th?) & Best Buy are closed due to flooding..Lowe's set a new National Record-breaking re-opening (in abt 10 days?) ..quicker than in South Carolina's last October's flooding...Chili's & Chik-Fil-A re-opened quickly too......south of I-12 on Millerville Rd. stayed mostly dry

But further up north at Miller Village a sad story is emerging....Rite-Aid will re-open soon..not sure abt GNC...but not the rest

https://www.businessreport.com/business/tenants-one-baton-rouge-shopping-center-lost-leases-flood-entire-neighborhood-losing-local-businesses-helped-create-sense-community

Across on Old Hammond Hwy Naylor Brother's will become a Cleggs nursery

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...

Wonder why they changed their mind?? The property did not flood...but it came close enough...Is it the Economic Climate??   Always had a hard time envisioning this at the development anyway...so intuition was right..this thing belonged east toward Juban Rd or Satsuma

One comment said " wants a Top Golf"...would 15 acres be enough?  Wonder what end's up there??

Buc-ee’s not coming to Baton Rouge, terminates purchase agreement with Greens at Millerville developer

https://www.businessreport.com/article/buc-ees-not-coming-baton-rouge-terminates-purchase-agreement-greens-millerville-developer