Millerville Development

BayouCapitalCity

Well this development sure turned out disappointingly but I guess you can't do much since internet sales have taken over. I'm guessing this'll be something to do with cars cause I'm just wondering what "service retailer" needs 15 acres. Hopefully it's not another storage facility.

Greens at Millerville property once slated for Buc-ee’s has new buyer

Nearly two years after Texas rest stop chain Buc-ee’s backed out of much-hyped plans to open its first Louisiana location at The Greens at Millerville, developer Windy Gladney has signed a purchase agreement with a new service retailer for the 15-acre site.

Gladney declines to identify the buyer until after the deal has closed, but says a contract for the property was signed several months ago. He expects the new owners to announce their plans any day now.

https://www.businessreport.com/article/greens-millerville-land-slated-buc-ees-new-buyer

Edited by dan326

Rumor had a Rouse's supermarket ...but not sure about that. 

It better not be another Storage facility!  Only a mile away  Miller Village  is now 100% storage since CVS was evicted.  & Tobacco Express was demolished a few days ago....down I-12 at O'Neal another silly storage facility in the works in  front of AMC theatre :rolleyes:

Wondering if the RV dealership was ever going to happen?  But  still no word on the proposed luxury apartments near the back....

Nice new Lamar Digital Billboard along I-12 fronting Greens @ Millerville was advertising 8.7 acres of the property being available...not sure what that was about either...

Can remember when the "Original" site plan (8-10 years ago?) actually put a decent sized 5 or 6 story Hotel in the development; told them at meeting doubt it would happen.

What will ever become of the vacant land east of Super Target/Best Buy?

I'm pretty sure they had an article stating they cancelled those apartments.

I haven't seen any work on the site in a while, I was hoping someone active in the community  contacted the council to block them from building, lol.

I'm guessing in 15 years whenever they have another building boom they'll develop it, lol.

• 10 months later...

Greens at Millerville commercial plans going to Planning Commission

The final plans for the Marketplace at Greens at Millerville will be considered by the East Baton Rouge Parish Planning and Zoning Commission this afternoon.

Three commercial buildings—including a grocery store and a 10,000-square-foot restaurant—are planned for the commercial development, according to the plans submitted to the Planning Commission.

Alan Brewer, with the Duplantis Design Group, submitted the application for the nearly 45,000 square feet of commercial space for the project, which has been certified by planning staff as in line with the Unified Development Code. Brewer was unable to be reached by this morning’s deadline for more information.

It’s unclear who the grocery tenant will be, but Clay Furr, of Momentum Commercial Real Estate, says developers are working to secure permits and start construction later this year, with the grocer opening in the first quarter of next year.

Rumor i heard from  a few months ago was Rouses ...interesting they'd be competing w Super Target across Millerville ...& Wal Mart on O'Neal

So many developments in BR  that have made changes the past decade are not as nice as the Original plan..n but it's not just BR

Thanks for posting Dan ...just got back from the Smoky Mountains :thumbsup:  The Island Enterainment District in Pigeon Forge had a really cool set up!

Edited by richyb83

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:40 PM, richyb83 said:

Rumor i heard from  a few months ago was Rouses ...interesting they'd be competing w Super Target across Millerville ...& Wal Mart on O'Neal

So many developments in BR  that have made changes the past decade are not as nice as the Original plan..n but it's not just BR

Thanks for posting Dan ...just got back from the Smoky Mountains :thumbsup:  The Island Enterainment District in Pigeon Forge had a really cool set up!

Do we know what the store is yet?  

30K seems small for a Rouses, but too large for a Trader Joe's.   Definitely closer to a Sprouts or Whole Foods if not one of the AG stores.   I don't think Whole Foods is looking to expand in that area (they are looking in the Highland/Airline/I-10 area though).    The AG stores are extremely deliberate and conservative with expansion plans.  I don't think Wal Mart is building any of their "Neighborhood Market" concept stores.     It could be a Sprouts/Fresh Tyme or maybe something other than a grocery store entirely.

If they get a good anchor, those outparcels won't stay empty for very long.   They are about as close to I-12 as you can get - and places like Red Lobster, Olive Garden,  McDonald's,  Chuy's, Wendy's, Starbucks,Texas Roadhouse, etc. are notably absent from that immediate market area, which already contains a Chilis,  Zaxby's, Chick-Fil A, Zoe's Kitchen,  etc.    Another bonus is that I-12 in that area has the older, lower center dividers, so that property is VERY visible to about 200,000 cars per day.  

I can definitely see mid market hotel chains buying up a parcel or two out past the the Honda property too along with other car dealerships or furniture stores or a "Doc in a box"/Urgent Care place.

Edited by cajun

On 7/14/2019 at 2:42 PM, cajun said:

I can definitely see mid market hotel chains buying up a parcel or two out past the the Honda property too along with other car dealerships or furniture stores or a "Doc in a box"/Urgent Care place.

Actually an impressive looking 6-story hotel was in the original concept drawing for Greens at Millerville. At City Planning meeting I told them they'd never approve it at the height in that location . ....  You'd think it would be an ideal spot for hotel!

Still wish Buc-ee's would have been built there too!

Edited by richyb83

• 1 year later...

Greens at Millerville is on the planning commission agenda for the November 16th meeting. The developer is Anchor Properties. Residential development with 320 units over 9.5 acres.......if you add  Commercial/Office at 44.2 acres. = 53 total acres ??  Waiting to see a map

A new proposed map hasn’t been uploaded to the site. ’ Not sure if they will be 3 stories ?

https://www.brla.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10017/PUD-4-12

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2020 at 2:21 PM, richyb83 said:

Greens at Millerville is on the planning commission agenda for the November 16th meeting. The developer is Anchor Properties. Residential development with 320 units over 9.5 acres.......if you add  Commercial/Office at 44.2 acres. = 53 total acres ??  Waiting to see a map

A new proposed map hasn’t been uploaded to the site. ’ Not sure if they will be 3 stories ?

https://www.brla.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10017/PUD-4-12

320 units over 9.5 acres isn't very dense.    

I'd rather not see apartments right there adjacent to the interstate.   My preference would be offices, restaurants, and hotels.   

You are right.  6 floors there for a relatively compact hotel or office footprint would not be a big deal at all.     It's too bad that Covid has killed demand for all of that lately.

Edited by cajun

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2021 at 8:45 AM, dan326 said:

Cool.   

That guy from Son's of Guns had a very sketchy range before the show out on Choctaw.  I thought I was going to get kidnapped and murdered there last time I went (later found out that the particular employee that creeped us out was charged with some pretty bad things involving children) and never went back.  

Glad a new one is coming in.   There's one off of Siegen that's pretty good but got pretty busy before Covid.

• 6 months later...

Firearms store and shooting range at Greens at Millerville going forward

Plans to build Shoot Point Blank, a firearms retail store and shooting range with locations in several states, are going forward after a Kentucky-based company bought property at the Greens at Millerville for $800,000. 

Plans for the 15,000-square-foot store and indoor shooting range went before the Planning Commission in February, and the property includes a portion of the 15-acre parcel Buc-ee’s had under contract several years ago, before the Texas-based chain pulled out of the deal in late 2016. 

The 2.1-acre lot on Millerville Road was purchased by Anchor Baton Rouge LLC, based in Covington, Kentucky. The seller was Appropriate Real Estate LLC, owned by Windy Gladney. 

https://www.businessreport.com/business/firearms-store-and-shooting-range-at-greens-at-millerville-going-forward

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_d9f61cfc-1252-11ec-8740-ab7f8c7abeb6.html

Shoot Point Blank

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the proposed Waters @  Millerville 295 unit- apartment development was APPROVED yesterday at the Planning Commission meeting.

5   buildings ; three stories each.    Interesting choice for a name ...a Tribute to 2016? Many signs were put in the area  in opposition to this....prompting a crowd of 160??

Can not locate this in Business Report or The Advocate   etc

http://hdlegisuite.brgov.com/attachments/2021/PUD-4-12 FDP PLANS_B6D4E801.pdf

17 hours ago, richyb83 said:

Sounds like the proposed Waters @  Millerville 295 unit- apartment development was APPROVED yesterday at the Planning Commission meeting.

5   buildings ; three stories each.    Interesting choice for a name ...a Tribute to 2016? Many signs were put in the area  in opposition to this....prompting a crowd of 160??

Can not locate this in Business Report or The Advocate   etc

http://hdlegisuite.brgov.com/attachments/2021/PUD-4-12 FDP PLANS_B6D4E801.pdf

Meh.  Not a big fan of higher density housing in areas where there is a full dependency on the automobile.    And this is really close to I-12 without much of a buffer.

I don't think I understand the link to 2016 and the name though.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cajun said:

Meh.  Not a big fan of higher density housing in areas where there is a full dependency on the automobile.    And this is really close to I-12 without much of a buffer.

I don't think I understand the link to 2016 and the name though.

Some of the plans were derailed because the land flooded/ was covered with water.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_a7b6ce50-52f1-11ec-bc05-f3ae8f1f0d10.html

Tract in I-12-Millerville development sold for $4M, will become apartments

The final tract in The Greens at Millerville development has been sold for $4 million to a Hammond firm that plans to build an upscale apartment complex on the site off of Interstate 12.

Stoa Group bought the 13-acre site from Windy Gladney in a deal that closed Wednesday, said Clay Furr with Momentum Commercial Real Estate.

Plans are to build The Waters at Millerville, a 295-unit apartment development on the site, Furr said. Construction is set to begin in early 2022. 

• 9 months later...

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_06ed866a-2df9-11ed-ad76-cf8e424b5c70.html

See what's under construction on Millerville Road

Tennessee-based Fast Pace Health is building a 3,700-square-foot clinic at 1545 Millerville Road. This will be the company's first location in Baton Rouge. The clinic will be open daily to treat people with injuries or who need immediate attention. Lab and X-ray services will be located in the clinic. The clinic will offer telehealth visits and behavioral health services.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 4 acre mini Millerville forest was cleared last week next to the old Miller Village  shopping center )Delchamps/GNC/Rite Aid/Dance Studio; Billiards ; Chinese restaurant etc. That has been devoured by a Self Storage complex.   Seemed that 4 acres would stay heavily wooded forever . 

Wonder what might be built there?

Also just down the road on Old Hammond Hwy  1 mile to the East across from the YMCA another tract of wooded land is being cleared .