Sustainability and Smarter Growth in NW Arkansas

HiEf

As an area on the verge of developing into a major metropolitan area, I think it is wise of us to take steps in planning our living environment. How do you feel we should proceed in development? What steps can we take? Can LEED certified buildings be a positive aspect in this? Let me know your thoughts.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Density, grids, and connectivity from the outset. Here in Charlotte, the city started a suburban density culdesac pattern very early on in its development. That has made it difficult to sustain itself, and has created a more sprawling city with higher vehicle miles traveled.

In Europe, communities are starting to make large strides, such as in the UK, they are proposing to make all new buildings carbon neutral and so forth.

I doubt NW AK could stomach something like that. But it seems like ordinances could be added to do be more sustainable, but wouldn't add much to the costs of buildings. It could/should require energy star appliances in new homes, green roofs on all flat roofed structures (targeted to big box stores and midrise office landscrapers), and other things like that.

You're asking, but realistically, the red states in the US seem to have a hard time doing stuff like this.

Density, grids, and connectivity from the outset. Here in Charlotte, the city started a suburban density culdesac pattern very early on in its development. That has made it difficult to sustain itself, and has created a more sprawling city with higher vehicle miles traveled.

In Europe, communities are starting to make large strides, such as in the UK, they are proposing to make all new buildings carbon neutral and so forth.

I doubt NW AK could stomach something like that. But it seems like ordinances could be added to do be more sustainable, but wouldn't add much to the costs of buildings. It could/should require energy star appliances in new homes, green roofs on all flat roofed structures (targeted to big box stores and midrise office landscrapers), and other things like that.

You're asking, but realistically, the red states in the US seem to have a hard time doing stuff like this.

Wow, I missed this topic. Yeah at least Fayetteville is making some effort. But I think a big problem is going to be all the different cities and getting them to work together. It makes things much harder when there isn't one dominant city or urban core. In slightly related news, the Fayetteville Public Library recently got it's LEED silver certification. Looks like Crystal Bridges in Bentonville will also be a LEED building as well. I don't know if they've gotten certification yet but I believe some of the buildings in the Arkansas Research and Technological Park in Fayetteville are also eventually be LEED buildings.

Wow, I missed this topic. Yeah at least Fayetteville is making some effort. But I think a big problem is going to be all the different cities and getting them to work together. It makes things much harder when there isn't one dominant city or urban core. In slightly related news, the Fayetteville Public Library recently got it's LEED silver certification. Looks like Crystal Bridges in Bentonville will also be a LEED building as well. I don't know if they've gotten certification yet but I believe some of the buildings in the Arkansas Research and Technological Park in Fayetteville are also eventually be LEED buildings.

Archived