Redevelopment of the South shore of Muskegon Lake

GRDadof3

As mentioned in the Ferry dock thread, I think the South Shore of Muskegon Lake holds great potential as a resort/tourist/redevelopment area. Muskegon Lake is one of the largest inland lakes connected to Lake Michigan, and is an easy boat ride from Chicago. But much of it is abandoned industrial docks and structures, and it doesn't help that Sappi Paper belches out smelly emissions in that area.

What will it take to finally see that area become a hotbed of economic activity again? Is the lake getting cleaned up? Is it just a bad perception?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As mentioned in the Ferry dock thread, I think the South Shore of Muskegon Lake holds great potential as a resort/tourist/redevelopment area. Muskegon Lake is one of the largest inland lakes connected to Lake Michigan, and is an easy boat ride from Chicago. But much of it is abandoned industrial docks and structures, and it doesn't help that Sappi Paper belches out smelly emissions in that area.

What will it take to finally see that area become a hotbed of economic activity again? Is the lake getting cleaned up? Is it just a bad perception?

Thanks for the update Larry! I will have to check it out. It's been about a year and a half since I took the drive from Pere Marquette beach to downtown. I really like the little retail district in that area along Lakeshore Drive. It has great potential as an entertainment district, IMO. There were also some large old industrial buildings along Western Ave (?). Are those still there?

That's great to hear about Sappi. I worked off of Sherman for about a year and could smell it almost every day. :sick:

Thanks for the update Larry! I will have to check it out. It's been about a year and a half since I took the drive from Pere Marquette beach to downtown. I really like the little retail district in that area along Lakeshore Drive. It has great potential as an entertainment district, IMO. There were also some large old industrial buildings along Western Ave (?). Are those still there?

That's great to hear about Sappi. I worked off of Sherman for about a year and could smell it almost every day. :sick:

• 1 month later...

Here is an example of current redevelopment of our lakeshore. The VidaNova project in Edison Landings is being built on a vacant piece of land which has been unused since the old Continental Motors factory was torn down more than a decade ago. I don't care much for their design but they are a heck of alot better than what was there before and are another piece in the redevelopment of downtown and the lakeshore.

These were taken January 20th.

373784020_1282d48cc1_b.jpg

373784025_b9c10451e6_b.jpg

Yeah, these are great. And the funnest thing is talking to the developer. Doug Harjer is just so excited about the project. Every time I bump into him he has stumbled on another "green" element to incorporate. He has a pretty good eye for design as well and I would bet they will look pretty nice when complete. Apparently the first set are almost complete and an open house should be taking place soon. I am imagining the views from the roof gardens are pretty bitter cold now, but the views of the ice fishing can't be beat.

Here is an example of current redevelopment of our lakeshore. The VidaNova project in Edison Landings is being built on a vacant piece of land which has been unused since the old Continental Motors factory was torn down more than a decade ago. I don't care much for their design but they are a heck of alot better than what was there before and are another piece in the redevelopment of downtown and the lakeshore.

These were taken January 20th.

373784020_1282d48cc1_b.jpg

373784025_b9c10451e6_b.jpg

• 9 months later...
Yeah, these are great. And the funnest thing is talking to the developer. Doug Harjer is just so excited about the project. Every time I bump into him he has stumbled on another "green" element to incorporate. He has a pretty good eye for design as well and I would bet they will look pretty nice when complete. Apparently the first set are almost complete and an open house should be taking place soon. I am imagining the views from the roof gardens are pretty bitter cold now, but the views of the ice fishing can't be beat.

My question relates to the Michcon property on Morris. The building on the site (as well as the Durham Building) was removed. The Michcon property was "capped" and paved for parking. If I remember correctly, the property was then passed to the former mall owner to allow for expension of the mall.

Of course, that never occured

Today, the property remains as parking, but is chained off. I assume that it is still "owned" by the Chicago developer who defaulted on the mall.

Redevelopment of the downtown never seems to mention this site.

Can anyone add to the history of this site? What's are the plans for this piece of downtown?

Archived