2007 Goals for Memphis

Rardy

I saw this thread over in the South Carolina forum and figured we could discuss '07 goals here too.

What do you think the city can accomplish in 2007? Keep it reasonable -- you know, stuff like eliminate crime and have the best schools in the nation really isn't feasible in a single year. So what is feasible?

My ideas:

• Reduce murders by half by working with local and community organizations

• Find developers to renovate 2 notable buildings like 100 N. Main, Sterick or Sears Crosstown

• Set record attendance levels at the Redbirds, Grizzlies, Tigers, RiverKings, MSO, Memphis Zoo, Memphis in May, and other arts events

• Create a functioning City Beautification Committee

• Develop a master plan for Shelby farms

• Work to preserve the NWA hub at MEM

• Work to attract more HQ's - can we shoot for 1 new F500 in 2007?

• Redevelop Overton Square, bringing a good mix of national and local retailers

• Implement Medical Center zoning overlay

• Redevelop Chisca and surroundings

• Begin construction on One Beale

• Comprehensive MATATrac plan

• Renovation of old Police HQ DT

• Extend trolley line into S. Main Arts District

I know some of that is dependent on private developers. I guess the question should be, as a city as a whole, what can we accomplish in 2007?

What else?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most pressing issues for me would be to get on the ball with the MATATRAC system and rejuvenate Overton Square. Tear down or develop the Sears Crosstown and make it stick.

With the Chisca, not sure why the city doesn't use eminent domain and take it over from COGIC who seems determined to not make a move with it.

Yah and crime and education are probably the most important two goals, but they seem like constants that will never change.

CSX gives up and hands over Cordova/East Memphis line.

Increase in Downtown development.

Construction of One Beale, Trinity Tower, and Horizon towers.

Proposal for a 40 story tower.

Crime slows down.

Education gets better.

Tigers start steller season.

I can't think of anymore right now.

yeah...you're probably right. One Beale will have to get built first. But a remodeled/totally renovated 100 N. Main would look incredible! IMO that's our best bet right now. For example, these pics are all of the same building, before and after. Something like that could totally make 100 N. Main the nicest building in our skyline. :thumbsup:

Yeah, hopefully who ever buys it will put some money into it.....personally I would start with the windows first.

I think we could also make our downtown look better at night (excluding 1st Tennessee Building).....we could maybe put some neon lights on our buildings like other cities do.

Archived