How to save energy in an apartment.

nashvillwill

I just bought a bunch more CFL bulbs. They look just like incandescents. I bought the ones with the spiral ballasts because they are cheaper, but they take a few seconds to light. Is this common with all CFL bulbs or just the spirals? Perhaps I should return them in exchange for the basic tube shaped ones? I tested a few out in my apartment last month and noticed my electric bill was smaller despite the fact that I had the lights on more.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just bought a bunch more CFL bulbs. They look just like incandescents. I bought the ones with the spiral ballasts because they are cheaper, but they take a few seconds to light. Is this common with all CFL bulbs or just the spirals? Perhaps I should return them in exchange for the basic tube shaped ones? I tested a few out in my apartment last month and noticed my electric bill was smaller despite the fact that I had the lights on more.

all the CFL's i've had experience with take a little longer to light than a standard incandescent.

in my apartment, the landlady has all the circular tube fluorescents for overhead ceiling lights. they light up almost immediately, but they also work like the regular tube ones that can flicker. i'm not a big fan of them.

• 4 weeks later...

so i just found out that my power company sells optional green power. So i bought 300kwh a month, about 1/3 of my monthly consumption. and it only cost me an additional $8 a month. They sell it in 150kwh blocks for $4 apiece. It helps promote green power and makes me feel better. i wish i could afford to supplement all of my consumption, maybe after a little experimenting i will.

while i might recommend this for people who don't use their PC's all day, shutting them down just to turn them back in an hour isn't all that great for the hard drive.

i do recommend using the power save options on it that'll run it using lower power.

That is a bit contradicting. Power saving modes on computers typically include the hard drive being turned off to conserve power unless you tell it otherwise. A few years ago it may have been an issue in the "leave your computer on or turn it off" debate but nowadays I don't believe it is so much of an issue, especially if you aren't going to keep your computer for several years. Considering how fast technology is advancing I highly doubt many of us are in the boat of keeping our computers for several years.

I would advise keeping your computer turned off when you aren't using it unless you're just going to the bathroom and coming right back. Even in low power/suspended mode a computer will use electricity (more than you would think).

• 4 weeks later...

well, i just found another energy saving method. i installed a programmable thermostat. my apartment managers didn't mind as long as i replace the stock one when i leave. that's fine...after paying $50 dollars for a touch screen i didn't plan on leaving it here anyway. believe it or not, i had it installed in 5 min. it was a snap!

well, i just found another energy saving method. i installed a programmable thermostat. my apartment managers didn't mind as long as i replace the stock one when i leave. that's fine...after paying $50 dollars for a touch screen i didn't plan on leaving it here anyway. believe it or not, i had it installed in 5 min. it was a snap!

So my landlord just installed these hideous yellow colored bulbs outside of my fire escape. It isn't like incandescent yellow, but YELLOW yellow. I don't like it. Is it supposed to be some alternate energy saving bulb? I've seen them in some of the streetlamps back at home in the hood. My apartment glows the color now, and I want it removed.

So my landlord just installed these hideous yellow colored bulbs outside of my fire escape. It isn't like incandescent yellow, but YELLOW yellow. I don't like it. Is it supposed to be some alternate energy saving bulb? I've seen them in some of the streetlamps back at home in the hood. My apartment glows the color now, and I want it removed.

You've inspired me to do the same! I'm going to go out this weekend and pick one up for my home.

programmable thermostats rock. they are one of the best inventions. :thumbsup:

i had them in one of my last apartments (which was electric heat, so a thermostat in every room). i programmed some rooms to come on when i was there and other rooms just not come on at all unless i manually turned it up. my current apartment i replaced one and then had to get rid of it because the landlady didn't like them for some reason (even though i paid the gas bill). it worked great. i gave it to my brother and mother for their house. i have yet to ask my new landlords about putting one in my new apartment. i've made a lot of requests with them, so it'll wait a bit, probably until i actually need the heat.

Neo, just a few words of wisdom. Go for broke! if a certain model has options you want but cost a little more...get the expensive one. keep in mind that this will be a cost saving appliance that you will own for years(and will pay for itself very quickly), so you should get one you will be happy with. I am currently regretting not spending the extre 25 bucks for the back-lit version of the one i own. personally, i like the touch screen(some people might not) but if it's something you think you will like, do it.

Home depot, has a pretty nice brand of their own named ritetemp that i have enjoyed.

Neo, just a few words of wisdom. Go for broke! if a certain model has options you want but cost a little more...get the expensive one. keep in mind that this will be a cost saving appliance that you will own for years(and will pay for itself very quickly), so you should get one you will be happy with. I am currently regretting not spending the extre 25 bucks for the back-lit version of the one i own. personally, i like the touch screen(some people might not) but if it's something you think you will like, do it.

Home depot, has a pretty nice brand of their own named ritetemp that i have enjoyed.

Thanks for the tips. I actually had some free time last night so I went to Lowes and picked up the most expensive model they had. It was a Honeywell model that allowed for programming of each day independently, keeps track of how often it runs so I know when to change the filter, is backlit, and worked with my unit. I did see a touchscreen model at Lowes but I liked what the Honeywell model offered a little better and I doubt I'll be setting it very often so a touchscreen wasn't necessary. I spent $100 but I have no doubt that I can make that back. One of the best purchases of the year! Now if only solar panels would come down in price. :whistling:

• 4 weeks later...

so i have recently realized how many batteries i dispose of in my home. batteries for remotes, flashlights, electric toothbrush, game controlers, etc. mostly AA's. i am planning to buy a set of rechargeable batteries to try and cut down on what i send to landfills.

any advice on this idea would help.

Edit: i know the obvious answer is to try not to use disposable batteries at all but sometimes i cant help it. i refuse to give up my remote! i know i could brush the old fashion way, but my best friend is a dentist and has convinced me of the importance of powered brushing(and i can't afford a $300 NiCad version).

so, i guess i'm looking for advice on brands based upon price and longevity/recharges. and if this option really does help the environment.

Archived