Baton Rouge to Hammond sprawl?

bigboyz05

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for starting this thread bigboyz05.

I don't think the sprawl of Baton Rouge to the East will ever completely connect to the sprawl with Hammond's to the West. There is still plenty of rural wilderness in between; in middle of Livingston Parish. No doubt I- 12 is one hot corridor for growth and development. But there are enough large undeveloped gaps.

Denham Springs/Walker/Watson tri-angle is rapidly growing in western Livingston. Bass Pro; extending turn lanes for Denham Springs; large new golf community; new badly needed Juban Road interchange on I-12 between DS and Walker; new movie cinema for Watson,etc. Hammond has been spilling over into eastern Livingston; esp. in Springfield.

I notice it.

Denham and Prariville both seem to be booming...but that is because that is the general direction of New Orleans. That and bc schools are great out there.

Livingston schools seem to be more stable than Ascension because Ascension has Donaldsonville area schools holding them back. There is a lot of bad politics in that town.

How long before Livingston Parish becomes Broadmoor 2 and everyone moves out further and further away?

It's time BR starts growing more toward Lafayette. In order for that to happen, I10 and the bridge needs to be widened, and WBR schools need to improve.

Job centers like LSU, Pennington, Shaw, Dow and Exxon are driving development- but the school districts will dictate where people are going to live. Zachary, Livingston, Ascension, and now West Baton rouge will boom over the next 20 or 30 years.

In any case, there is a lot more "new orleans" folks in Baton Rouge (by new orleans, I mean both Orleans, Jefferson, and the northshore). That is why the Bonnie Blue flag flying parishes will grow quicker than WBR...and that isn't considering the lack of infrastructure in WBR. I really don't see anything but sprawl in BR's residential future. Sprawl toward Hammond, Gonzales, and to a lesser extent, Port Allen. Zachary and Central are the only East Baton Rouge districts that I think will have a middle class housing boom.

Thanks for starting this thread bigboyz05.

I don't think the sprawl of Baton Rouge to the East will ever completely connect to the sprawl with Hammond's to the West. There is still plenty of rural wilderness in between; in middle of Livingston Parish. No doubt I- 12 is one hot corridor for growth and development. But there are enough large undeveloped gaps.

Denham Springs/Walker/Watson tri-angle is rapidly growing in western Livingston. Bass Pro; extending turn lanes for Denham Springs; large new golf community; new badly needed Juban Road interchange on I-12 between DS and Walker; new movie cinema for Watson,etc. Hammond has been spilling over into eastern Livingston; esp. in Springfield.

Yall bring-up some great pionts. I understand what yall mean. :thumbsup: Baton Rouge's sprawl is up there with the best of them.But Baton Rouge is improving now with plenty of in-fil projects. I realize Ascension and Livingston are 2nd and 3rd fastest growing parishes in the state. You won't be able to recognize the Juban Rd. interchange in a few years. And Zachary(EBR) is growing so fast they put a moratorium on development for 6 months; it's crazy. WBR- La.1, Brusly Addis has ignited with development with new YMCA; Super Wal-Mart; and possible La.1 by-pass over the Intracoastal to Hwy.415

I am just saying from Satsuma to Holden(or like you said Albany/Walker) there is some big-time widerness. That's still plenty of " rural-gap" that should stay that way for a long time. Some slow development; but not like Walker is seeing.

And look way down in southern Livingston of all the development along the Amite River/Diversion Canal! It's insane :wacko:

"Creekstone, Wilson teaming up for big Livingston development

The developers of two of the Capital Region's biggest retail hubs are teaming up for a 471-acre mixed-use development in Livingston Parish. Juban Crossing will be built at Interstate 12 and Juban Road and will feature retail, office and residential tenants. Creekstone Companies, which is building the Towne Center at Cedar Lodge, and Jim Wilson and Associates, developers of the Mall of Louisiana, say it will be the largest mixed-use development in the state. Plans are to build nearly 1.3 million square feet of retail space, featuring four big box retailers. The center will also have nearly 385,000 square feet of office and medical space, four hotel sites, 625 homes and 524 multi-family housing units. Plans are to begin opening Juban Crossing by spring 2008. The development is big news for Livingston, which has lacked retail development, and shows further strength along I-12. "

:shok: All I can say is WO! That's bigger than the mall of Louisiana! While it's kind of disapointing it's not going to be in the city, it's awesome that B.R. is large enough to get such a huge project in the suburbs.Hour hotels, 1000+ housing units, 385,000sq ft of office and medical, dang. :w00t:

I would assume that Scotlandville and the areas around "Scenic Highway" that are close to the refineries would not enjoy robust growth. I also would not have thought of Zachary as a big growth area, but it is likely that it will grow. It's not close enough to that area to be affected by the current blight. I suppose I have (rightly or wrongly) lumped it in with Baker as a place best avoided. Maybe it deserves further thought.

^

I also would not have thought of Zachary as a big growth area[/quote

^Yes believe it or not Zachary is one of the state's fastest growing towns. It has it's own seperate school district too. It is just far enough from the refineries and blight in the Scotlandville/Alsen area.

Juban Crossing

A site plan shows the layout for more than 1.2 million square feet of retail space, 385,000 square feet of medical and office space and more than 1,100 residences proposed for the Juban Crossing development along I-12 near Denham Springs in East Suburban Baton Rouge.

jubancrossingart121406.jpg

It will be situated on the north side of I-12 at the Juban Road interchange.

Construction on Juban Crossing should begin next summer.

Juban Crossing

A site plan shows the layout for more than 1.2 million square feet of retail space, 385,000 square feet of medical and office space and more than 1,100 residences proposed for the Juban Crossing development along I-12 near Denham Springs in East Suburban Baton Rouge.

jubancrossingart121406.jpg

It will be situated on the north side of I-12 at the Juban Road interchange.

Construction on Juban Crossing should begin next summer.

:yahoo: It's about time! Poor Livingston's up to what, 115,000? and they have 0 retail. Nothing. It's bizarre! It would be like Bossier having a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot and nothing more.

I wonder what that "Proposed Blvd." is? They will need an extension of Tate to Juban before long. That could be the link.

I also wonder how this is going to impact Hammond Square's plans to go lifestyle...?

Archived