What's Murfreesboro's population?

bigboyz05

Maybe it's city pride instead of snobbery.

Well it looks, and possibly sounds, eerily like snobbery to me. Facts are facts here, Murfreesboro is what it is because of Nashville and its proximity to a MAJOR metropolitan area. Take away that metro and Murfreesboro is nothing more than Shelbyville. There are a number of factors, but proximity and access play the biggest role in the growth of Rutherford County and Murfreesboro specifically.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Sure, no question Murfreesboro benefits enormously from its proximity to Nashville. By the same token (though certainly to a lesser degree) Nashville also benefits tremendously from having Murfreesboro nearby. But should folks who live in Nashville's surrounding area not take pride in their respective cities? I live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, not Nashville. That's not snobbery, it's merely a fact.

^ Sure, no question Murfreesboro benefits enormously from its proximity to Nashville. By the same token (though certainly to a lesser degree) Nashville also benefits tremendously from having Murfreesboro nearby. But should folks who live in Nashville's surrounding area not take pride in their respective cities? I live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, not Nashville. That's not snobbery, it's merely a fact.

Pride and snobbery are apples and oranges in my book. But alot of what is seen in this area is just boastfulness on the part of the masses. Which is fine in moderation IMO. LOL!!! One should be happy and proud of where they live no doubt.

Pride and snobbery are apples and oranges in my book. But alot of what is seen in this area is just boastfulness on the part of the masses. Which is fine in moderation IMO. LOL!!! One should be happy and proud of where they live no doubt.

And I remember when you said Smyrna wouldn't be getting a Super target due to logistics -_-:D

Edited by Justiceham

And I remember when you said Smyrna wouldn't be getting a Super target due to logistics -_-:D

I have never claimed to be right 100% of the time have I? I don't really care if they get ten within a mile of eachother honestly. LOL!!!

Edited by Lexy

Well it looks, and possibly sounds, eerily like snobbery to me. Facts are facts here, Murfreesboro is what it is because of Nashville and its proximity to a MAJOR metropolitan area. Take away that metro and Murfreesboro is nothing more than Shelbyville. There are a number of factors, but proximity and access play the biggest role in the growth of Rutherford County and Murfreesboro specifically.

Murfreesboro was bigger in the days before I-24 existed than Shelbyville comes close to being now! (No offense Shelbyville)! I don't disagree with you that Murfreesboro relies heavily on Nashville but we are much more self sustaining than any community around Nashville besides Franklin. I've noticed in some of your posts you call Murfreesboro nothing but blue collar and say its trying to be something its not......and then in others you argue the suburbia of it. I think its a healthy combination of both, and I think lots of people like the diversity of it.

• 10 months later...

The census is coming up in 2010, and I have a good feeling Murfreesboro will be at or very close to 100,000. At current rates, Murfreesboro will pass Clarksville at TN's 5th largest city. We are a fast growing satellite city, not a suburb, we lost that title when the census bureau gave Murfreesboro an "urban" designation, in turn, the MSA becoming Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro MSA. I'm sure it will eventually throw Franklin and Gallatin on the end. A teither rate, at the same growth rate, the city alone in 2050 will have over 210,000 people!

I'm more than positive by 2010 Murfreesboro will be over the 100,000 mark, if not already. Your 2050 estimate is a very safe assesment, too. By then I will be 65 and Murfreesboro will most certainly be a different place.