George's on Broad Street -- Closing

mineola

According to a letter to the editor in the Gazette, George's on Broad Street will be closing at the first of the year. In case some of you never tried George's, make a reservation and enjoy the best food in TXK (imo) before it's gone. If wine isn't your thing, give one of the Trappist ales a taste. Wondeful stuff.

It's a shame a fine restaurant couldn't make it downtown. I was hoping this would be a harbinger of things to come.

It's open Weds - Sat.

http://www.georgesonbroad.com/

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to a letter to the editor in the Gazette, George's on Broad Street will be closing at the first of the year. In case some of you never tried George's, make a reservation and enjoy the best food in TXK (imo) before it's gone. If wine isn't your thing, give one of the Trappist ales a taste. Wondeful stuff.

It's a shame a fine restaurant couldn't make it downtown. I was hoping this would be a harbinger of things to come.

It's open Weds - Sat.

http://www.georgesonbroad.com/

I think you hit the nail on the head and that was one of the restaurant's biggest problems. I don't know why the owner didn't advertise more, or if he even advertised at all.

Another possible problem is that TXK probably can't support a lot of "nicer" eating joints, and even with more advertising, it's an uphill battle to find enough customers with enough disposable income to patronize this kind of restaurant regularly.

Again, I encourage everyone to treat yourself before it's gone. It's not the cheapest restaurant around, but the food is head and shoulders above the stuff served by the chains out at the mall.

Anyone know how Cinema 218 is doing?

Wow, that's cool, again I had NO idea. And I was even in downtown TXK a few months back taking photos.

I love the charming feel of the downtown, and wish there were more things being done.

I've heard Zapata's is pretty popular, but I wonder if that's where all the downtown restaurant and entertainment biz goes? It's an exact replica of Shreveport's Superior Grill, which is one of our most popular restaurant and entertainment place, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Zapata's would have the same success in TXK.

Wow, that's cool, again I had NO idea. And I was even in downtown TXK a few months back taking photos.

I love the charming feel of the downtown, and wish there were more things being done.

I've heard Zapata's is pretty popular, but I wonder if that's where all the downtown restaurant and entertainment biz goes? It's an exact replica of Shreveport's Superior Grill, which is one of our most popular restaurant and entertainment place, so it doesn't surprise me at all that Zapata's would have the same success in TXK.

Yeah, Zapata's is very popular and probably the greatest success story downtown right now. I didn't know they were copycats. That's too funny.

I think all of the development around the mall is sucking most of the dollars out that way. Everyone has high hopes for downtown, but a lot of it is unrealistic.

That is horrible about George's. I agree with you about the development around the mall and Texarkana Pavillion. Currently there's a whole lot of road construction going on near I-30 with the construction of new roads, bridges and frontage roads being converted to one way. With all those improvements going on look for even more development heading that way. I've even been hearing rumors of a new mall to come here.

Yeah, Zapata's is very popular and probably the greatest success story downtown right now. I didn't know they were copycats. That's too funny.

I think all of the development around the mall is sucking most of the dollars out that way. Everyone has high hopes for downtown, but a lot of it is unrealistic.

Archived