Charlotte Sting Moving To KC?

Minneapolitan

I just heard on a local sports show that the Charlotte Sting might be moving to KC. It was also mentioned how poorly the Bobcats are doing in trying to attract a crowd to the city's new arena, which could eventually trigger a move. The Hurricanes were also mentioned due to the fact that they have struggled since landing in Raleigh. They are still having a hard time filling seats and they just won the Stanley Cup.

Have any of you KC forumers heard about this?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just heard on a local sports show that the Charlotte Sting might be moving to KC. It was also mentioned how poorly the Bobcats are doing in trying to attract a crowd to the city's new arena, which could eventually trigger a move. The Hurricanes were also mentioned due to the fact that they have struggled since landing in Raleigh. They are still having a hard time filling seats and they just won the Stanley Cup.

Have any of you KC forumers heard about this?

I have nothing against the NHL being in southern markets because I want people to see what a great sport it is. However, I think the league may have spread itself a little too thin. The fact that the league has left some hockey hotbeds such as Winnipeg and Quebec and allowed the rapid expansion into the southern markets has really hurt it. It's obvious that it has lost a lot of dedicated fans, which is evident by last year's Stanley Cup finals. The ratings were awful.

I'm curious if even KC could support an NHL team. Is there much interest there?

I have nothing against the NHL being in southern markets because I want people to see what a great sport it is. However, I think the league may have spread itself a little too thin. The fact that the league has left some hockey hotbeds such as Winnipeg and Quebec and allowed the rapid expansion into the southern markets has really hurt it. It's obvious that it has lost a lot of dedicated fans, which is evident by last year's Stanley Cup finals. The ratings were awful.

I'm curious if even KC could support an NHL team. Is there much interest there?

I would be cautious about bringing a hocket team to Kansas City. The Chiefs are kings and the Royals are going to be good again soon, so I don't think there is a need for another team.

The high schools in the Kansas City area don't have hockey teams (4 years ago), and if they do it's not a big sport. Being from Kansas City I would rather stick with my Chiefs, Royals, Wizards, Explorers. If the WNBA team comes I think it would have a big enough draw, but it can never be half of what the Chiefs or Royals are.

• 11 months later...

Haha, I was looking for pictures of the Sprint Center (I'm a student in a Steel Design class at N.C. State) and I saw this thread and it made me laugh. I know this was a long time ago, but even back then, there was negative 44 % chance that the Canes were leaving Raleigh soon. I guess it doesn't even need to be brought up now because they are one of the top 5 teams in the league and the city (and somewhat the region) loves them! (They are celebrating their 10th season as the Hurricanes this year!)

Yall could look into the Nashville franchise, I know the owner has been fighting the city to move them, I don't know the status of that. (I seem to think the city "won" in that they got a guarantee not to move for 5 years)

By the way, the Sprint Center looks awesome! I wish we had put our arena downtown and it had been unique and noteworthy.

Archived