Ypsilanti

ZachariahDaMan

I just realized that this forum is for Ann Arbor AND Ypsilanti so why not start an Ypsi thread. I'm actually there pretty often, 2 of my brothers live there and I like walking around downtown and the historic district. So many nice houses! Feel free to use this thread to post pictures and talk about any development. If you don't know Ypsi well, you have downtown on Michigan Ave. and Depot Town. Downtown has a lot of nice architecture but unfortunately abandonment too. Depot Town on the other hand is doing very well. The historic Thompson building in Depot Town is being renovated and will have restaurants, luxury loft apartments and retail shops. I have a ton of Ypsi pictures so if there is anything you want to see then just let me know.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is what the Thompson Block will look like when completed in fall 2007. Stewart Beal from Beal Group told me there will be 16 luxury lofts.

ypsi.jpg

West Michigan Lofts

108_2838.jpg

^The white building on the left through all the buildings to the right of it are apart of the lofts.

Info from gobeal.com: Beal Properties' crowning acheivement was the recent completion of the West Michigan Lofts in dowtown Ypsilanti. This project combines 5 historic buildings to house 20 loft apartments on floors 2 & 3 and a variety of retail/restaurant tentants below. The project was difficult and unique because the 5 buildings were constructed to share common elements to reduce the cost of development, even thought they will continue under separate ownerships.

108_2829.jpg

He also told me about 3 other properties they have:

513 Pearl

108_2832.jpg

220 N. Hamilton

108_2833.jpg

15 N. Hamilton

108_2831.jpg

Some random shots:

108_2830.jpg

108_2837.jpg

108_2835.jpg

108_2836.jpg

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I moved out of Ypsi (Normal Park) 5 years ago now. Depot Town was a great alternative to the "scene" in Ann Arbor. Sidetracks was a nice place to just get a beer. I always thought downtown Ypsi could really be something special. It's looking good. I hope it continues in the right direction.

I hope the best for Ypsi in upcoming development and increased retail presence in the main downtown area. One thing is, I hope it doesn't become what Ann Arbor has in the past decade. AA saw a loss in a lot of mom and pop stores for popular chain retailers who could pay the high rents downtown. Ypsi is the last hope in maintaining the unique retail environment that Ann Arbor has lost.

I hope the best for Ypsi in upcoming development and increased retail presence in the main downtown area. One thing is, I hope it doesn't become what Ann Arbor has in the past decade. AA saw a loss in a lot of mom and pop stores for popular chain retailers who could pay the high rents downtown. Ypsi is the last hope in maintaining the unique retail environment that Ann Arbor has lost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did Ypsi have two stations or was this one replaced by the historic structure we see today.

BTW, I missed this image:

110_3095.jpg

I want to get these and stick them all over U of M buildings.

Zach, there is an apartment complex behind EMU near the McDonalds where there is this really really old factory. The sign is still in good condition. If you are there sometime, can you get some photos. Maybe go inside it? I think you can actually, it looks pretty open.

Zach, there is an apartment complex behind EMU near the McDonalds where there is this really really old factory. The sign is still in good condition. If you are there sometime, can you get some photos. Maybe go inside it? I think you can actually, it looks pretty open.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived