Alcohol Sales on Sunday

Pillsbury

I figured I'd start this because I think it's long overdue. Georgia legislators, when they convene next year, will most likely consider ending Georgia's prohibition against alcohol on Sunday. I'm for it. I think in Georgia's case, as in Indiana's and Connecticut's case, the F & B industry has kept this archaic law around far too long. So what do y'all think?

Oh yeah, here is the article: Alcohol

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, the speaker of the house and senior republican leadership have indicated that they don't want things to change. So even if the majority of the state is for it, the folks in charge of the political process can keep it from happening. The majority may want Sunday alcohol sales but the desire likely isn't strong enough for them to vote out the politicians who prohibit it.

I think the most realistic compromise would be to pass a law allowing the counties to decide for themselves. If counties in the sticks don't want Sunday alcohol sales, well, that's still stupid but at least for those in the more urban areas it would be much more likely that Sunday sales would be ok'd.

^^^

Hell, you can even go to a bar and have some half-naked chick grind her doo-dads in your face while you knock back a cold one, but if you're having your grandparents over for Sunday dinner, make sure you pick that wine up by Saturday, or you're not getting it. :wacko:

Also, folks near the Tennessee and Florida lines can cross over to legal Sunday sales. Tennessee lets the cities and counties decide about Sunday sales and many of the rural counties have stayed "dry", even Moore Co.(Lynchburg) where Jack Daniels is distilled is dry with the exception of a clause that allows sales at the distillery. Unless its recently changed, neighboring Tullahoma with the George Dickel distillery is dry.

Dalton just voted yes to Sunday pouring while surrounding Whitfield County voted down liquor pouring. Beer and wine are allowed package and pouring in the county while the city has liquor and beer and wine. Just held back by Georgia's archaic laws prohibiting Sunday package sales now.

The argument against sales has been promotes alcoholism and drunk driving. However, it's you want it bad enough you'll drive from the county into the city or across the state line on Sunday. Then Tennessee, or Florida in the south end gets the revenue. If whoever is an alcoholic or drunk driver, just make drive more and put more at risk(for a DD) or let the neighboring locale gain the revenue.

I wish y'all would keep it, when people from "outside the South" comment on how progressive Georgia is compared to NC, I just luv to comment that "you ain't going to a bar or buying beer in a store in GA on Sunday but you sure can here!" :lol: (sorry, just had to poke some fun on this one)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived