Interchanges

Rardy

Michigan seems to have good interchanges. Its just the bumpy roads we have problems with. They never weigh semi truckes, and that coupled with the freezing and thawing and re-freezing of our winters, causes major pot holes in our roads.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandmother lived in Baker (north of Baton Rouge) so I went on I-110 a lot as a kid. That was one of the things that really threw me, even at a young age: "why are there exits on the left side?" It's also very Louisiana that there's an exit right by the governor's mansion.

There are also some ridiculous ramps at the I-10/110 interchange just to the south of that where I-10 eastbound used to actually go to one lane (although this may have changed by now) and there was another hairpin ramp from I-110 SB to I-10 EB. On the latter, I heard that once a truck full of chickens tipped over spilling them into the neighborhood below. By the time people got down there to clean it up, the chickens were all gone, plucked up by the residents.

My grandmother lived in Baker (north of Baton Rouge) so I went on I-110 a lot as a kid. That was one of the things that really threw me, even at a young age: "why are there exits on the left side?" It's also very Louisiana that there's an exit right by the governor's mansion.

There are also some ridiculous ramps at the I-10/110 interchange just to the south of that where I-10 eastbound used to actually go to one lane (although this may have changed by now) and there was another hairpin ramp from I-110 SB to I-10 EB. On the latter, I heard that once a truck full of chickens tipped over spilling them into the neighborhood below. By the time people got down there to clean it up, the chickens were all gone, plucked up by the residents.

Not the most interesting interchange, but Google Earth has an older version so you can see how much it's changed.

I-10/I-19:

Circa 2003. Notice the flawed trumpet design and that the ramp is actually missing (during construction it was closed for several years).

oldi10i19.jpg

Now. I like how there's a building just sort of chilling out in between a ramp and the mainlanes. I think that's a county-owned structure. But the ramp designs and traffic flow is much better. Also the interchange is just generally more attractive with actual landscaping and some cliche Kachina-esque designs on the concrete.

i10i19.jpg

Wow, this is an interesting thread and it's nice that no one has started a pissing match (yet)!

Here are a couple from my town, STL. Sorry for the links, but just click along!

The thing I most enjoy about this is entering StL from Illinois (at the top right) is that there are two flyways for some odd reason, but they rejoin right before the bridge. So there is a big sign with about 4 highways listed, then under it it says "All lanes to St. Louis". It's pretty amusing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=k&om=1

They are rebuilding highway 40 now, but here are a few pictures and a link to the new highway:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&....003881,0.01075

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...&iwloc=addr

I can't seem to find the nice PDF with overlays for the redesign showing diffent options for interchanges, but it was here somewhere:

http://www.thenewi64.org/index.jsp

westonplaza.jpg

This is the Weston Toll Plaza on the MassPike west of Boston.

I 95/Route 128 runs north south

MassPike/I 90 runs across the screen

Below the Pike you can see the Framingham/Worcester Commuter Rail line

Above the Pike is Commonwealth Avenue/US 20

At the bottom right is the Riverside Yard, the terminus of the D branch of the Green Line light rail line.

a few days ago i posted a pic of the Briley Parkway, I65, Ellington Parkway interchange.

Here is a zoomed out pic of that interchange in conjunction with the other interchanges around it.

These three interchanges consist of Briley Parkway, I65, Ellington Parkway, and I24

another_65_24_briley.jpg

btw, these are all from Nashville TN

NC ony has one I-77/485 just south of Charlotte. Most of NC interchanges are 2 level but they have huge earthen ramps. I am not a fan of these for one because the require large amounts of dirt and the interchanges themselves are sprawly. It makes me mad to see these type in urban areas because that space could be used for housing or commercial development.

Those beautiful 4-level geometric interchanges are numerous in the States. San Antonio, Texas is surrounded by them. In Europe I know only one, the Klaus Plein, East of La Hague.

I like a variation you can find to the N-W of downtown Birmingham, Alabama ; there is another, almost the same, N-E of Baltimore.

Archived