Top Ten 2007 Wish List

jungletobacco

Time to reflect and look forward to the future of the Augusta area. The year 2007 should be a year of growth and completion. Alot of promises have been made, proposal have been consider, land has been sold and monies have been saved. What next? Give a list of 10 thing you want to see happen in 2007.

10) find Richmond County a good superintendent

9) put a significant dent in the $7 million deficit

8) more residential developments downtown

7) revitalization of downtown's streetscape

6) completion of Augusta Regional terminal

5) South Augusta residential & commercial boon

4) complete phase 2 of the Palmetto Parkway

3) mall interior renovation completed

2) build a dragstrip or a large plant in the Augusta Corporate Park

1) jobs, jobs and more jobs

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10) Plans for the dragstrip get underway.

9) The commission decides to build a huge convention center downtown.

8) The proposed additions to Diamond Lakes park to come into fruition.

7) The revitalization of the regency mall.

6) More residential developments and commercial developments come to downtown.

5) The canal project needs to get underway.

4) The Completion of Augusta Mall (and the progress of the Villages at Riverwatch)

3) More business in south Augusta.

2) A large corporation decides to build a large plant in the area (Auto etc.)

1) The two proposed interstates become official.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: The commissioners stop bickering so Augusta can progress.

First Post!

Moved to the Augusta area about 1 year ago. I live in Columbia county, so my list

is more biased towards that area.

10) Lowe's in Evans opening

9) demolition of the Old Evans Middle School, construction of new commercial building in its place (I hope its not Home Depot)

8) The Completion of Augusta Mall lifestyle center

7) Construction of Mullins Crossing II

6) demolition of National Hills shopping center, replaced with high-end condos (I think the current mall is an unattractive shopping area)

5) completion of Augusta Regional terminal

4) More residential and commercial developments come to downtown.

3) Continued development of the Savanah River Rapids pavillion area

2) Village at Riverwatch nears completion

1) More quality jobs in the area (such as ADP payroll solutions)

First Post!

Moved to the Augusta area about 1 year ago. I live in Columbia county, so my list

is more biased towards that area.

10) Lowe's in Evans opening

9) demolition of the Old Evans Middle School, construction of new commercial building in its place (I hope its not Home Depot)

8) The Completion of Augusta Mall lifestyle center

7) Construction of Mullins Crossing II

6) demolition of National Hills shopping center, replaced with high-end condos (I think the current mall is an unattractive shopping area)

5) completion of Augusta Regional terminal

4) More residential and commercial developments come to downtown.

3) Continued development of the Savanah River Rapids pavillion area

2) Village at Riverwatch nears completion

1) More quality jobs in the area (such as ADP payroll solutions)

Okay, here is my top ten list (I tried to make mine different from the others, though everyone has had excellent ideas!!):

10. Interstate running from Augusta to Hilton Head or Savannah, so I can be at the beach in an hour,

and to spur economic growth of course!!! :D

9. Marion Williams is put in jail or run out of town by his constituents.

8. The Augusta Chronicle bought by the New York Times, and its stupid editorial page is totally

revamped, taking out all the right-wing nutjobs from writing in and whoever the new Editor is is run

out of town for writing stupid editorials about how global warming doesn't exist, but even if it does

we can't stop it, aaaaahhhhhh. Sorry, The Comical upsets me.

7. Washington Road from I-20 to past the National is totally redone, power lines are buried, nice

sidewalks are constructed, the Steinmart shopping center is demolished, and a median is placed

down the center

6. More development downtown, including the condos--perhaps maybe a grocery store (Publix).

5. I want Target to build something closer to my house. I hate driving to Augusta Exchange.

Seriously, a Target is needed more intown, or maybe in North Augusta or on the southside.

4. Related to number 9, the entire city commission is kidnapped by aliens, and Deke Copenhaver is

appointed dictator.

3. Someone stops the new MCG campus in Athens from getting any bigger or maybe even having it

closed. Augusta is the home of the Medical College of Georgia. Athens is not. If they're that

concerned with bringing a medical college to the "other Georgia" then how about sticking one down

near Valdosta or Albany where it's really needed. Instead, they put the satellite campus an hour

away from Atlanta. :angry:

2. I win the lottery. Okay, a bit selfish, but I promise to invest in Augusta.

1. The Bon Air is bought, turned into a hotel or real apartment complex instead of Sec. 8 or whatever it

is now, and we restore it to all its former glory!!!!

Why the beef with Marion Williams? I notice there are no wish for a dragstrip in your list, are you against it? Hopefully it will get built and drive some of these narrow minded old timers out of town. That is the only way to develope that area cause the resident are anti-growth. Maybe they will move to Burke County, kill two birds with one stone. Your list is funny but soo true, pillsbury.

Oh no, I"m not against the dragstrip. I'm for anything that will help development in Augusta. My problem with Marion Williams is actually about the dragstrip though. Last year when that guy wanted to build a racetrack, Marion wanted in on it, offered the many money and everything. The guy refused, said he already had funding. Marion told him that if he didn't allow him to buy into it, then the commission would not vote for it. Now, we suddenly get this new interest in a dragstrip and I have a feeling Marion or his family is back there somewhere, behind the scenes.

1) New condos Dowtown at Reynolds street break ground with units selling like hot cakes. Both towers are started and another condo project, smaller yet still midrise (kind of like the Bookends in G-Ville) is proposed for the lower end of Broad street.

2) Development on the canal is started.

3) Augusta Museum announces it will move to a new building at the Canal by 2010, opening up space for development at its (current) location on Broad street.

4) A large company announces it will move its headquarters to Augusta.

5)ADP announces it will build a glassy office building near the Riverwatch and Interstate 20, with 100Ksqft and 8-12 floors.

6) The big concrete place right off I-20 (at Riverwatch) is bought by developers (and moves to a semi rural location in Columbia county). Medium sized mixed use development is proposed for the sight.

7)Hilton will consider putting up a new hotel in DT Augusta.

8) Population of Richmond county will start growing again.

9) Riverwatch Village construction will come to an end.

10) Regency mall will get demolished and a new Mixed use dev. will be proposed for the spot.

Archived