metro Phoenix shopping thread

Manolos

There are actually already two Nordstroms in the Valley One at Fashion Square and one at Chandler Mall. So the one in North Phoenix would make three, Unless I remember incorrectly. It's weird to have that much high end retail in the east valley. I've had the impression that the east Valley is more affluent than the west valley, but this would paint a picture broader than I had suspected.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's kind of like that but not quite, and in the words of my good friend "Brandy" , Almost doesn't count. The exclusivity of it all is kind of cheap. Because Camelback and Scottsdale Rd, are the crossroads of a mall. There's no feeling like you get on Michigan, Rodeo, or 5th ave. Just a mall, it would be ALOT more exclusive, if the retailers actualy built up and down Scottsdale Rd. But if we are judgeing things by that standard, then the people in Detroit have some work to do, because the Sommerset Collection in Troy, is on Big Beaver Rd. It just seems kind of wierd that the address of internationally renown retailers, are on a road whose name conjures up images of people with to much hair in their nether regions. But given the storied last 50 years of the area, it's comically ironic.

I wouldnt say its quite like Michigan or Fifth either in that sense, but i would say Scottsdale Road could somewhat be with the old town stores, the number of luxury hotels around, and the luxury condos that are springing up. With the W Scottsdale, Mondrian Scottsdale, Waterfront, Optima, Ritz Carlton PV, Safari Drive, Caleo Resort on Scottsdale, and then Phoenician and Camelback Inn (two other 5 star resorts) along Camelback pretty close to Scottsdale, the entire area is becoming pretty upscale. If they go along with making streetfront retail when tearing down the Robinsons-May building, then we may see some retail spring up along Scottsdale Road.

More News on FS: A Sony Style store is opening there in the Spring. First one in AZ, one of around 2 dozen in the US. They are sleek like Apple stores and pretty cool.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....torefront-Start

• 2 weeks later...

Sony Style is opening this spring, Betsey Johnson is opening its second store in AZ (other is at Biltmore) this spring as well. Bottega is opening next year and Barneys is opening in 2009. Barneys is taking awhile because they are tearing down that entire section and opening it up to the street.

• 5 months later...

Any news here on more luxury stores opening in the valley? I thought it was rumored that Ermenegildo Zegna and Tod's were looking at fashion square locations. I guess well start hearing tenants in the next 4 to 6 months.

Macerich is pretty hesitant on revealing their progress in discussions with luxury retailers and never really release information until a retailer signs. Current stores that are slated to open:

Salvatore Ferragamo around late July at the earliest to early August (2007)

Grand Lux Cafe should open this October (demolition is going pretty quickly)

Puma has signed for a 2008 opening.

Other LOIs include CH Carolina Herrera, Planet Funk, A/X and Hermes.

Macerich is pretty hesitant on revealing their progress in discussions with luxury retailers and never really release information until a retailer signs. Current stores that are slated to open:

Salvatore Ferragamo around late July at the earliest to early August (2007)

Grand Lux Cafe should open this October (demolition is going pretty quickly)

Puma has signed for a 2008 opening.

Other LOIs include CH Carolina Herrera, Planet Funk, A/X and Hermes.

• 2 months later...

I'd love it if these retailers would open along a strip, creating a real retail avenue that exists in other cities instead of malls where the environments controlled. I hope that with light rail and all the high end residential going in downtown that we can do something about the overwhelming suburban feel of the valley from one end to the other

It seems like Phoenix is really drawing a lot of very high-end retailers. Is there any particular reason why? I don't mean that as a slight at all on Phoenix. I've never been, but know it's growing extremely quickly, its just that it seems like its got more high-end retail than most metro's that size.

Is it due to large number of wealthy full-time residents? Large number of wealthy part-time residents? Large number of wealthy visitors there to play golf? Or do people who live in Phoenix just have very expensive tastes?

It's a combination of all. The mentality that exists as well. Phoenix has alot of west coast wealth that resides, full time, part time, and on vacation. It also has a fair amount of local wealth. But mostly it's a hub for the service sector so it has a huge upper middle class presence. The exclusivity of these retailers fits perfectly with the parts of town they are in. Couple that with the amount of people moving in. What strikes me is the new retail that's coming in, it sounds like we are getting alot of firsts in the country. I wonder if we are becoming some kind of high end test market.

However, only in Phoenix, will a woman be arrested for leaving her child to be babysat by the valet at Neiman Marcus

I'd love it if these retailers would open along a strip, creating a real retail avenue that exists in other cities instead of malls where the environments controlled. I hope that with light rail and all the high end residential going in downtown that we can do something about the overwhelming suburban feel of the valley from one end to the other

• 2 weeks later...

As for why we are gettting these retailers, you are all correct, its the tourism and types of tourists that visit the area. In addition, we now have more households with 1 million dollar plus incomes than most cities- 120,000 in and near Scottsdale, much more than San Diego or Seattle- http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/12/sty...cond.php?page=1

Also, with the Barneys coming and the new space, its a chance to quickly get in these retailers all at once, rather than over time as leases expire in an exisiting mall. The other developers- City North and One Scottsdale may have helped also, though the intent was to bring them in to their projects, selling them on the market convinced them that a store needs to go here, in one of the projects, of which Fashion Square is a safe bet.

New news-

Bloomingdales to be the other anchor at Fashion Square "the 100,000 sf anchor" that has been often mentioned. Not sure if it would be a home store like in Las Vegas or a small full line yet. The city planners seem to have this knowledge already.

Pinkberry (yogurt) has signed for two stores- first outside LA- Hilton Village and Biltmore, should be open by spring.

Whole Foods has been looking at several sites in downtown Scottsdale- Fashion Square, or at Indian School and Goldwater.

LA's Dolce Group also is looking for a downtown Scottsdale location for its Geisha House concept.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum, ProPHX. Feel free to introduce yourself in the off-topic or "roll call" threads.

Not Phoenix, but the long-rumored Nordstrom is going up here in Tucson in the Foothills. The Daily Star had a note about it but no actual story. I'll post when there is one.

^^I wouldn't be surprised if Nordstrom does open in Tucson soon. Tucson already has a lot of luxury retail for its size and its just begging for a department store.

Yes, Hermes was planning on opening where Brentano's was, but instead opted to the new Barneys wing (set to open in late 2008/early 2009), rumored for a larger space.

As for Bulgari, look at the lease plans for the malls (usually Macerich updates those after signing an LOI, or an OFS, it gets updated every half year or quarter year or so with new stores, and its usually correct, Carolina Herrera, Tiffany's expansion, Bottega, Michael Kors, A/X were all updated onto the Lease plan several months before the official announcements.)

alright everyone. Forgive me, I changed the name of this thread to more accurately reppresent the line of conversation going on. I feel it appropriate, perhaps it'll draw some attention with a more broad description. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Archived