metro Phoenix shopping thread

Manolos

Yes, Hermes was planning on opening where Brentano's was, but instead opted to the new Barneys wing (set to open in late 2008/early 2009), rumored for a larger space.

As for Bulgari, look at the lease plans for the malls (usually Macerich updates those after signing an LOI, or an OFS, it gets updated every half year or quarter year or so with new stores, and its usually correct, Carolina Herrera, Tiffany's expansion, Bottega, Michael Kors, A/X were all updated onto the Lease plan several months before the official announcements.)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks MJLO, makes more sense.

I found it. Thank you.

Phoenix is really getting the good stores finally!

All we need now is Giorgio Armani, Chanel, Dior, and David Yurman, and a Baccarat, Lalique, Versace, and Prada would be great.

Has anyone heard that Jimmy Choo is looking at the former Tomatoes space? It was going to be Pita Olive for a couple of weeks, but that must have fallen through.

As for other stores, I think its only a matter of time before some of them start signing leases (such as Chanel and David Yurman.) Phoenix's retail scene is exploding right now and its definitely the next big market for these luxury retailers to tap. If you just think about how many new retailers signed leases in this last year (not even, less than a year), its ridiculous.

But I think we will be in for a surprisee. CityNorth claims that they have already leased nearly 70-80% of their retail space (and are just waiting for a greater percentage leased to reveal who they got.) They already got Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. I am sure they got other stores (as Escada, Tiffany's and Louis Vuitton were all looking for a second location in Phoenix, though Louis Vuitton is opening at Biltmore.) There is also a lot of new space in the Barney's wing (I know Hermes has signed an LOI for a space there.) I wouldn't be surprised if we see more retailers jumping in.

I wouldn't be so sure. The developers for CityNorth are quite experienced, and retailers are interesting. Why are Jimmy Choo and Hermes opening in Bellevue and not in Seattle where all the current luxury goods are? Loro Piana, Hermes and Adriano Goldschmied have signed for Buckhead Village in Atlanta (outside of the general Phipps/Lenox). The draw of CityNorth is that it will be outdoors (something Fashion Square cannot offer). Besides, Bloomingdales is definitely nice enough, same with Nordstrom, to draw some bigs names. While I don't think Chanel would choose CityNorth over Fashion Square, there are some retailers that I could see preferring CityNorth more (like Prada, who abhors enclosed malls.)

As for Escada and Cartier, I think the draw for Biltmore is that most of their luxury companies still there draw to an older audience (also Stuart Weitzman, Cole Haan, etc.) Though Vera Bradley and Calypso both are relatively new and attract younger people. I am not sure what they are doing with Biltmore. Roberto Botticelli also seemed to have been a better fit at Fashion Square, but it chose Biltmore in the end.

LV is in saks, however, LV is different in that their (store within store) locations are actually leased and company owned/run. Its supposedly quite large.

Another note, Spanish jeweller Tous has leased a space on the second floor. If you are unfamiliar with them, they are known for their simple/chic jewelry, with pieces ranging from 100 to 1000. It doesn't compete against the likes of Tiffanys or so, its more of like fun jewelry. They have locations in Soho, LA, Atlanta, Florida and Texas. They are much larger internationally (pretty much in all big fashion districts, Harbor Bay in HK, Ginza in Tokyo, Paris, Milano, etc.)

Great info overall, you guys really know your stuff when it comes to this.

I've asked about this before I think...but what are the chances of a G Star Raw, Energie/Miss Sixy, Diesel, and/or Replay coming to the Phoenix market?

There are very few stores that carry any of these brands now, HUB is one of the few I can think of...and they don't have any of the Energie/Miss Sixty items. I noticed they recently started carrying Replay jeans, but havn't seen anything other then jeans.

^^I'm not sure. I think the casual denim fad only exploded a little while ago, and most of these companies only have a few stores. Though, I can't see Diesel holding out that much longer (they have had a store in Denver for awhile...) But I think the only thing about these types of denim companies is their actual clothing (other than denim) is quite European that its more popular on the East Coast (aka Replay and Diesel.) I think Diesel would be the first to open of those 4 stores. When? I do not know.

As for other denim companies, there are a lotta brands I like in addition to them that can be found at a number of stores in Scottsdale (Paige, R&R, Sass & Bide, Chip & Pepper, etc.) Also some of these stores may have the above four brands, I am not sure.

I would check out fleur't and Luxe in Gainey Village, Electric Ladyland, Scottsdale Jean Company, Moody Blues (which is opening a shop at SouthBridge). However, most of these are also catered towards women (though I know for a fact Scottsdale Jean and Moody Blues has guy stuff).

And Hub, I haven't been to their newly, expanded store. Anyone been there and seen their so called "butt cams"?

^^I'm not sure. I think the casual denim fad only exploded a little while ago, and most of these companies only have a few stores. Though, I can't see Diesel holding out that much longer (they have had a store in Denver for awhile...) But I think the only thing about these types of denim companies is their actual clothing (other than denim) is quite European that its more popular on the East Coast (aka Replay and Diesel.) I think Diesel would be the first to open of those 4 stores. When? I do not know.

LA and San Fran are also much larger retail markets than Phoenix. I think Diesel will definitely be confirmed within the next year or so at either the new Barneys wing or at CityNorth.

On another note, popular San Francisco boutique, Babette, is opening in downtown Scottsdale with the Safari development. Babette was popularized by Henri Bendel carrying a number of their styles. Babette currently has locations in Union Square in SF, SoHo in Manhattan, Magnificent Mile in Chicago, and the Pearl District in Portland.

I think this is great, especially since its pretty popular and it will be streetscape retail, something Scottsdale/Camelback needs!

Older news that was never posted:

Mexican design duo Pineda Covalin are opening their first US store in downtown Scottsdale and will be featured at Fashion Week next week. www.pinedacovalinusa.net

Also, upscale bathroom fixture, Waterworks, will be moving from Biltmore to the Crafts district in Old Town. www.waterworks.com

• 3 weeks later...

It looks as though the space for the Bvlgari LOI is now Cartier with an LOI. I wonder what happened to Bvlgari? I'm sure that Cartier is just a relocation from the Biltmore.

But, there's also David Yurman with an LOI, and Jimmy Choo with an OFS.

Anything else happening at Scottsdale Fashion Square?

LOI's don't have any kind of obligation. OFS, however, is farther in the stage and will open. I have heard Jimmy Choo scouting for a place for awhile, but the 1400 sq ft store seems like it would be really small. Not sure why Bvlgari may have backed out, there could be a number of reason.

Moreover, Cartier isn't just relocating, it is expanding a lot. Its Biltmore store is only around 1200 sq ft, the Fashion Square store would be something like 3500. I've read Macerich plans to transfer all the global mega brands to Fashion Square (which I guess we will be seeing Cole Haan, Escada, maybe Stuart Weitzman moving soon, but I cant see Ralph Lauren going anywhere, their store is huge.) They are reportedly looking to fill the tenant spots with more "exclusive" and "quiet" retailers. Roberto Botticelli has opened and Calypso should be opening in 2 weeks. Also, specialty retailer Intermix and Barneys Co-Op are looking at opening at Biltmore

As for Fashion Square, Tous and Michael Kors are officially open. Carolina Herrera will be opening in a couple weeks.

James Beard winner Michael Mina's BLT Steak (in NY) is opening a location in Scottsdale in early 2008.

Also, Sprinkles should be opening soon as they are posting job opportunities everywhere.

Also, another Lilly Pullitzer store opened at Borgata.

Here are some pictures I found around the web of the new stores that have opened.

Ferragamo Store Front at Fashion Sq.

Ferragamofront.jpg

Ferragamo name plate up close

ferragamo2.jpg

Store Picture

fstore.jpg

Purses

ferragamo1.jpg

Next Door Neighbor Stash Collections

stash2.jpg

Dressing Rooms

stash1.jpg

Tous store front

tous.jpg

Biltmore's recently opened Roberto Botticelli store front

robertbotticelli.jpg

Close up

botticelli.jpg

Inside Botticelli

inside1.jpg

Another shot

inside2.jpg

LOI's don't have any kind of obligation. OFS, however, is farther in the stage and will open. I have heard Jimmy Choo scouting for a place for awhile, but the 1400 sq ft store seems like it would be really small. Not sure why Bvlgari may have backed out, there could be a number of reason.

Moreover, Cartier isn't just relocating, it is expanding a lot. Its Biltmore store is only around 1200 sq ft, the Fashion Square store would be something like 3500. I've read Macerich plans to transfer all the global mega brands to Fashion Square (which I guess we will be seeing Cole Haan, Escada, maybe Stuart Weitzman moving soon, but I cant see Ralph Lauren going anywhere, their store is huge.) They are reportedly looking to fill the tenant spots with more "exclusive" and "quiet" retailers. Roberto Botticelli has opened and Calypso should be opening in 2 weeks. Also, specialty retailer Intermix and Barneys Co-Op are looking at opening at Biltmore

As for Fashion Square, Tous and Michael Kors are officially open. Carolina Herrera will be opening in a couple weeks.

James Beard winner Michael Mina's BLT Steak (in NY) is opening a location in Scottsdale in early 2008.

Also, Sprinkles should be opening soon as they are posting job opportunities everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Choo is confirmed to be opening in the former Tomatoes location.

Marciano is also confirmed to be opening next to Anthropologie

High-end boutiques slated for Scottsdale Fashion Square

The Business Journal of Phoenix

Fashionistas can soon get their own taste of Sex and The City at Scottsdale Fashion Square.

High-end shoemaker Jimmy Choo is opening a boutique at the tony mall, home to other luxury retailers such as Juicy Couture, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Electric Ladyland, and others.

HBO's Sex and the City star, Sarah Jessica Parker, helped put the London shoemaker on the national map as her shoe-obsessed character, Carrie Bradshaw, traipsed about Gotham's streets in his creations.

The boutique, the first in Arizona, is expected to open at Fashion Square in February. Another Arizona and Valley first is Marciano, a 2,000 square-foot boutique named after the brains behind Guess, Georges Marciano. Marciano and his Guess fashion spreads helped make Anna Nicole Smith a superstar.

Marciano also is expected to open at Scottsdale Fashion Square in February.

Other retailers new to fashion square include designer Michael Kors, who opened a boutique this week, and CH Carolina Herrerra, that will open on Monday, Dec. 17 at the mall.

Meanwhile, Carrie Bradshaw's other obsession, shoes by Manolo Blahnik, are available locally at Neiman Marcus, also in Scottsdale Fashion Square, and online at Bergdorf Goodman's and Barney's.

The shoe-obsessed may find some relief, however, at Roberto Botticelli. The Italian shoemaker opened a boutique late this summer at Biltmore Fashion Park.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Christian Dior has also signed for the Neiman Marcus wing, though not sure what space so I am guessing the Baily Banks and Biddle space with the back of the old Tomatoes that Jimmy Choo isn't using.

See the link where I found this- click on the tab for Scottsdale Fashion Square-

http://www.hortonrealtyadvisors.com/project_current.html#

^Its an accurate source, considering that is the Executive Lease Agent for Fashion Square. I read it a little awhile ago and wanted to confirm that it was correct. From what it looks, Cartier will be doubling in size from its move from Biltmore to Fashion Square (they will take the Brentano's location.) Dior will be taking an enlargened space that is currently held by Baily Banks & Biddle (whose lease is up soon and from what it seems want to expand to another space.) Trade Secret's space wil be downsized into something else.

This wraps up the Neiman wing, by 2008 we should see a large Cartier, Jimmy Choo, Bottega Veneta and Christian Dior

News at Biltmore: Calypso has opened. The same lease agent claims Intermix and Theory have also been signed. Intermix was mentioned as opening in a statement by Westcor's VP.

^Its an accurate source, considering that is the Executive Lease Agent for Fashion Square. I read it a little awhile ago and wanted to confirm that it was correct. From what it looks, Cartier will be doubling in size from its move from Biltmore to Fashion Square (they will take the Brentano's location.) Dior will be taking an enlargened space that is currently held by Baily Banks & Biddle (whose lease is up soon and from what it seems want to expand to another space.) Trade Secret's space wil be downsized into something else.

It says "retail plans include" which in my opinion means are just what they would like to do. The company specifically uses Christian Dior as an example of a luxury retailer they signed for Fashion Square to attract more clients.

Just wondering, who did you hear that from? Any news on David Yurman?

It says "retail plans include" which in my opinion means are just what they would like to do. The company specifically uses Christian Dior as an example of a luxury retailer they signed for Fashion Square to attract more clients.

Just wondering, who did you hear that from? Any news on David Yurman?

Maybe you are able to verify if Dior has officially been signed.

With room for 30+ new luxury stores, and given the large influx of new stores, I am excited to see who they are able to pull in. I know they have been courting Tod's for a long time (though I think that would be a particularly difficult store to sign.) Through various articles on WWD, 7 for all Mankind, Judith Leiber, True Religion and Frederic Fekkai are all heavily scouting for a Phoenix/Scottsdale location. They each mention Scottsdale as among 3 or 4 target locations they hope to open in by 2008.

Anyhow, I wonder just how much luxury retail Fashion Square and the Phoenix metro can handle. There have been several retailers open in the last year and more than half a dozen are slated to open in the next half year.

I can see if Dior is official. I don't like to ask too often, but maybe in the next couple of weeks I could. I've been asking about Hermes for several months now (since discovering the source), and not much has changed, even though it is moving in a positive direction. As you pointed out to me the Macerich website had really good information on the lease plans, but those have been gone for a while now.

Actually, the last lease plans that I saw (where Jimmy Choo was shown as OFS), they had a large "Luxury Retailer" in the Bailey, Banks location, the Guess store chopped into two "Luxury Retailer" stores, and David Yurman as LOI in the current Kenneth Cole location.

I don't see Tod's as difficult a catch as I do Judith Leiber. Either would be fine with me.

I don't see why Scottsdale Fashion Square couldn't have all the stores that South Coast Plaza has. In addition to Dior, I can see Chanel, David Yurman, and of course Hermes, Giorgio Armani, and Bvlgari. I think that other possibilities include Prada, Versace, Baccarat, Jo Malone, Keihl's, and a couple of other specialty retail stores, like Roberto Cavalli.

I don't think that there is a limit to how much Fashion Square can handle on the high-end side, save for some of the really upscale jewelers like Graff and Harry Winston, and ultra expensive retailers like Valentino. There is so much money in this city, so I'm actually quite surprised that it has taken this long. I do not, however, see Phoenix as a city that could support multiple locations of stores, like Gucci, Louis Vuitton, or Cartier.

I don't think the Lease Agent would falsely say it. Jimmy Choo was announced on his website before the official announcement, and all his other claims were recent openings.

From what I've seen, they generally take it down when they make some changes to it. And since that last update, both Jimmy Choo and Marciano have been announced. Hopefully David Yurman pulls through.

While there is a lot of money in this city, I think its an appropriate time for the retail to come. Compared to most cities of similar size, Phoenix has a lot more luxury retail, and is even catching up to same much larger cities. Seattle, San Diego and Scottsdale have all been raking in luxury retailers (many stores that aren't even found in larger cities like Atlanta and Philly).

I think the only thing holding us back was the failed attempt several retailers had at the Borgata and Galleria back in the mid-90s. Most are getting over that though.

Similarly, I don't think Scottsdale/Phoenix can't support multiple stores of the same brand, as long as its popular enough brand. LV's new leased space within Saks at Phoenix is larger than many LV boutiques I've seen. It carries shoes, bags, sun glasses, etc. Tiffany's is reported to be scouting for a second space.

As for retailers, I think most of those you listed have a good chance, maybe not Roberto Cavalli. I know Fashion Square is heavily courting Chanel (and Phoenix has such a large Chanel following, I think Westcor can definitely sign them.)

Archived