3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

See this on the UP Wiki: Catalyst Charlotte

The archived history of the previous plans for the Duke Power building site:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=25897

The previous plan for a TWELVE at 7th on the LRT line on Levine's stalled urban village:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=22164

Link

Novare is halting the TWELVE in Levine land, and going forward with its 5 buildings in 3rd ward.

These buildings include:

-a 29-story, 400-unit condo tower at Church and Second streets. CONSTRUCTION early this summer

-The fourth building, a 29- to 33-story condo tower, would displace the Packard Building

-In addition to three residential towers and an office building, they plan a parking structure at the corner of Mint and First streets.

-a 15- to 16-story office building

-39-story condo-hotel -- would be on a Church Street block occupied by the old Power Building, which is being demolished.

This is great news, aside from the other TWELVE being on hold.

263253057750.jpg

I am confused. So would these be in front of Trademark and Avenue towards the stadium ?

Will they move forward or wait on the park ?

These will stand on the block where the Duke building is being knocked down and, according to the article, will be built independent of the park, excepting the Packard site.

Well, the movement of the Twelve from the Levine property to the 3rd Ward site is new, but we've long known that three condo towers were planned for the site. The move makes sense, and confirms for me that Levine has no clue what he wants to do with that site, I wish he'd sell it and move on.

The height (39 stories) is exactly the same as the other announcement, so I tend to think it's the same project, just a new location. I hate we're losing the old Power building and the Packard building, but the project sounds like it will really inject some street-life into that area.

With the planned park, the Novare condos, and the Wachovia project, S. Tryon just got a LOT more interesting. Any remaining gaps between the park and Trademark will be filled in soon, making a solid block of development all the way down Church, much like Tryon. Our downtown will be three blocks deep down the entire length of Tryon...that's amazing. With Trade emerging as well, our skyline and the walkable areas of downtown will be quite significant. If all these projects come together, the S.Tryon area will be able to match the vibrancy that N. Tryon has now.

What a great time to live in Charlotte.

As much as this is further confirmation of Levine's incompetence in building value from his massive accumulation of land, it is GREAT news for Third Ward.

Having the new 3rd Ward park surrounded by tall residential and office structures is great news for that area and for the city. I believe the old TWELVE site will eventually see something, considering the new BofA tower going up nearby, and the LRT station.

However, I'll bet they realized that the third ward park is coming, and the first ward park is going no where because as with all things that King Levine touches, it turns to asphalt.

As much as I would have liked the First Ward location, you can really see that much of the momentum is in Third Ward right now, so it makes sense for them to focus there.

South Church is currently one of the worst streets downtown for pedestrian activity. It is entirely filled with poorly designed parking decks, and very little retail or human-use buildings.

South Church now has the following planned and under construction:

- Wachovia office tower

- Wachovia condo tower

- Office tower at First and Church

- Twelve hotel and condos at MLK/2nd and Church

- Condo tower at Mint and MLK/2nd

- Park between 2nd/MLK and 3rd on Church

- 300 S Tryon, likely with condos facing Church

- Condo tower at 3rd and Church

This street is going to dramatically change in the next 5 years.

Although, the rumor before was 3 towers on the Duke site, 1 on the Packard site, and then the TWELVE. But it is possible that the rumor of the three towers was simply the beginnings of the plans to cancel the TWELVE in First Ward.

But Novare is probably noticing what we all know, there aren't very many hotel rooms or condo residences near the Wachovia campus. That is a big deal. I think First Ward, and to an extent, Fourth Ward, grew up as a result of BofA's expansion. This is now the result of Wachovia's expansion, plus other factors supporting urban residential growth.

dot hamn!! I too wish that there were better renderings of these towers. I'm glad to see Twelve die if it means we get three towers for the price of one!

Anybody wanna take a guess at the height of each of these towers? (I'm still working on that rendering, these will make a nice addition)

Edited by aussie luke

Haha Levine, you snooze you lose.

In a weird way I'm glad this got taken away from that area. Not only will it make the "land-Miser" look stoopid, but it will definitely work with the Wachovia complex to create huge momentum in third ward.

Good gracious, the S Church/S Tryon area is going to look like Miami or something in about 2 years. Cranes EVERYWHERE!! I echo the hope for a nice area of street retail and pedestrian activity from those couple blocks of Church and all around the park.

Also, if this all falls into place then the park will be completely surrounded by development just a couple years after it's completed! Hopefully this will entice the city to start providing more of these things.... and bigger ones! :D

Edited by TowerRooster

Wow, what an amazing couple weeks it has been.

First off, this is really going to help the 3rd ward park. adding that much residential with that much density is great. I only wish there was more office directly accross the street from the park site to add even more uses, but the other 2 corners of 2nd/Church may eventually offer that. Also, I was disappointed that they couldn't come up with zero lot lines along 2nd street, but if they are adding interior streets then thats ok because it might open up more retail space. I will say, that there had better be a hell of alot of retail along 2nd. This is a huge opportunity to surround this urban park with as many uses as possible. Retail being the most important.

And 400 units in 29 stories??? Is it me or is that alot of units for a small building? I'm guessing alot of single bedrooms and a very wide building is the reason. I thought Vue at 50 stories was around 400 units.

edit: ps. how pissed off is Levine right now? I think he is really missing out, and we still have Brevard st, and the 2nd ward redev. which may directly compete with him.

Edited by Mobuchu

WOW!! This is great news for 3rd Ward!! It is going to dramatically change both the skyline and the streetlife if everything goes as planned right now. I also believe that this almost guarantees the land swap being approved and the minor league stadium being built.

As an aside, I can say that there is some movement on the first ward park and parking deck. Thats all I can say right now though :ph34r: .

I have never seen development in a core of a city like this. I was down near Houston in the early 70s which had a building boom in downtown, but not at this rate.

Hang on for the ride and enjoy it.

In Doug's article, there is going to be street level retail in all buildings.

That is good to bring life to that part of uptown.

I have never seen development in a core of a city like this. I was down near Houston in the early 70s which had a building boom in downtown, but not at this rate.

Hang on for the ride and enjoy it.

In Doug's article, there is going to be street level retail in all buildings.

That is good to bring life to that part of uptown.

It's really only an announcement boom at this point. Let's wait until we see construction starting before we get too excited.

It's really only an announcement boom at this point. Let's wait until we see construction starting before we get too excited.

I wouldn't say that.

There are LOTS of projects already underway in Charlotte. Wachovia, 210 Trade, Avenue, Trademark, even Park... proof positive that there's some genuine substance to this boom.

I do wonder, however, just how many of these projects currently proposed will actually get built.

Welcome to the new densest part of uptown!...all accomplished with 2 weeks worth of announcements.....300 S. Tryon still to come. This is unfrigginbelievable. Talk about a nice backdrop from BofA stadium...now I only wish something equally pleasing was happenning within BoaA stadium.

So much for that "dead zone"!!

It is great to see the fears about surface lots in 3rd Ward being quelled. It is pretty amazing to see the pace of new announcements in this area.