3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

28 minutes ago, DMann said:

Anyone think it might be time to call the Third Ward west of the railroad tracks the Fifth Ward?  There are significant differences between the two areas.

Understand your rationale but, IMO, too much history to change now...plus, the wards are perfectly dissected by Trade and Tryon.  Changing now would create confusion.  I vote "no".

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, NYCLT said:

Heard from a friend that The Mint has an issue with flooding - apparently there are apartments that flood every time it rains.

I once lived in an apartment like that in the DC area. Never expected to deal with flooding on the 13th floor, but it happened every time it rained heavily.

On 12/19/2016 at 11:17 AM, DMann said:

Anyone think it might be time to call the Third Ward west of the railroad tracks the Fifth Ward?  There are significant differences between the two areas.

If it ever does get a different name, that would not be clear branding.   People are already confused about the 4 wards, and it is a simple quadrant with 200+ years of history.   The actual 5th Ward was technically somewhere else historically, but even by then they just used neighborhood names.   They'd do best to just keep calling designating the quadrant 3rd Ward and if you want to get more specific, refer to a sub district or area "Cedar Yards" and "Frazier Park" and "Bearden Park" as district names.  

There actually would have been a different area that was ward 5 back then when the city expanded. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Squid7085 said:

Speaking of that. Who's stupid idea was it to take an already "Naturally split in 4 quadrants" downtown area and base the Uptown wayfinding system on a completely different "Split it using an X instead of a +" idea? I get the idea of that, but most cities split their downtowns in to districts like Arena, Financial, Government, etc. Should have just stuck with the already established wards.

This won't give you a satisfying answer, but here's info about that: https://segd.org/charlotte-wayfinding-system

13 hours ago, Squid7085 said:

Speaking of that. Who's stupid idea was it to take an already "Naturally split in 4 quadrants" downtown area and base the Uptown wayfinding system on a completely different "Split it using an X instead of a +" idea? I get the idea of that, but most cities split their downtowns in to districts like Arena, Financial, Government, etc. Should have just stuck with the already established wards.

I have had conversations with the people involved.   They are mind-blowingly ignorant of why people dislike it.        Equating 4th Ward with North is both correct and helps people learn what is pre-existing and use in every day speech.    The fact that they did odd and incorrect split like they did is frustrating and added to confusion.   CCPC is oblivious because most of them live in the suburbs and don't know it themselves. 

3 minutes ago, dubone said:

I have had conversations with the people involved.   They are mind-blowingly ignorant of why people dislike it.        Equating 4th Ward with North is both correct and helps people learn what is pre-existing and use in every day speech.    The fact that they did odd and incorrect split like they did is frustrating and added to confusion.   CCPC is oblivious because most of them live in the suburbs and don't know it themselves. 

I've always thought it was kind of dumb. Since the uptown grid is not oriented N-S and E-W but rather NW-SE and SW-NE, the Wards are actually oriented at terminal points on the compass (i.e. Fourth Ward corresponds to north, First Ward corresponds to east, and so forth).  The X-pattern they have created is inaccurate, as what they term the "North" sector is actually the northeastern part of Uptown, the "South" sector is actually the southwestern part, etc. Furthermore it can be slightly confusing with some buildings, streets, and neighborhoods being split by the X (i.e. is 2nd Ward in South Uptown or East?) In general, its construction defies logic.

Well, it is comforting knowing I am not the only one completely baffled by it, Seems I also struck a nerve, Lol :tw_grimace:

I love this paragraph. They had to find "hidden logic" in "complex geography" to divide Uptown into "easily digestible districts." 

“The whole point of an urban wayfinding strategy is to find the hidden logic in a city’s organization, then reduce this complex geography into a simple diagrammatic idea,” he explains. Working with stakeholder groups, Two Twelve explored a few options for dividing the Uptown into easily digestible districts. Finally the team decided on a scheme that would essentially draw an “X” across the oval-shaped area, dividing it into four radiating pie slices. They named the districts North, South, East, and West because those directions are where the major streets connect to the highway loop. Distinct colors for each district help to differentiate them in pedestrians’ minds.

Edited by Squid7085

41 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Really?  Uptown's wards are the most easily-definable neighborhoods in Charlotte.  Wholly within I-277 and divided into four quadrants by Trade and Tryon with clockwise numbering.

Don't be silly, clearly the almighty consulting firm determined that to be too complex. Lol

• 1 month later...

I keep hoping the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Mint, and Poplar will see some redevelopment soon.  Does anyone know if the site is getting any interest?  It's such a prime spot beside Romare and BB&T ballpark.  It seems like in older threads there was discussion Ascent originally looked there, but didn't pick the site due to soil issues.  Will soil remediation increase the height of any development to offset the cost of soil remediation?

2 minutes ago, AppState92 said:

I keep hoping the block bounded by 3rd, 4th, Mint, and Poplar will see some redevelopment soon.  Does anyone know if the site is getting any interest?  It's such a prime spot beside Romare and BB&T ballpark.  It seems like in older threads there was discussion Ascent originally looked there, but didn't pick the site due to soil issues.  Will soil remediation increase the height of any development to offset the cost of soil remediation?

I could be wrong about this but isn't it more likely than not that this block will be a typical stick-podium building so that the shadow of the building doesn't effect the ballpark? Again I could be completely wrong but this would make sense to me...

My preference would be a quality mid rise and think that would blend much better with BB&T.  Ricky_davis_fan_21's comments under the ballpark thread is what got me thinking about this site.  I'm just concerned it will be a high rise to help defray the cost of the land and soil remediation.

1 hour ago, AppState92 said:

My preference would be a quality mid rise and think that would blend much better with BB&T.  Ricky_davis_fan_21's comments under the ballpark thread is what got me thinking about this site.  I'm just concerned it will be a high rise to help defray the cost of the land and soil remediation.

I know the 2020 plan would prefer this site be a midrise, I however would not, mainly because the economics of a midrise there would basically require Greens Lunch and the adjacent building to get demo'd. I don't want that. Every low slung retail building is valuable to me no matter how unhistoric. I'd prefer high rise toward the park and midrise retail toward 4th

This is a low rise project but in 3rd Ward. A coffee shop and restaurant run by Charlotte Rescue Mission on 1st Street and Cedar St.. I am assuming this is going to provide jobs for homeless and that is noble idea. This could help them get some skills to transfer to other dining employers in town.  From the Charlotte Rezoning site  http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-106.aspx   I love this project and might even come to public hearing to support it. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is a low rise project but in 3rd Ward. A coffee shop and restaurant run by Charlotte Rescue Mission on 1st Street and Cedar St.. I am assuming this is going to provide jobs for homeless and that is noble idea. This could help them get some skills to transfer to other dining employers in town.  From the Charlotte Rezoning site  http://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2017Petitions/Pages/2017-106.aspx

Veterans of the Charlotte Rescue Mission have historically advanced to numerous fine dining venues.