3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

During the storm Sunday afternoon, glass fell from the Catalyst building onto the sidewalk on Martin Luther King Blvd. across from Bearden Park.  This is the second time in about a month that this has happened.  The first fell from the top of the building almost centered above the front door - you can see the panel missing from the park!  The piece that fell yesterday was from the same side on the 18th floor (I was told) - apparently just the outer layer if a multi-paneled window.  Does anyone know anything more?

Also, does anyone know why they never light the top of this building.  I remember when it was constructed the lighting on the top of the building was very impressive and you can still see some of the accent lighting from the ground - but it is never lit.  The last time I remember seeing it lit was during the DNC. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Storage units going up at prominent locations / corners really grinds my gears. Charlotte has no shame. 

They're a more profitable way to land bank for the future. If they have ground level retail,  I'll take them over levineland treatment.

Edited by Niner National
  • Like 4

Isn't this literally a block away from the strip between Eldridge and Cedar that was recently bulldozed? I thought that was going to be a strip a restaurants and other "retail". Or is this storage unit what we get instead? I need to ride over there and check it out. 

It's retail but there's some stuff in the works in the area. It'll be better soon, hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/12/2016 at 7:34 AM, Jayvee said:

This should be much improved with the the left turn lane now converted into a sidewalk!

On 5/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, Squid7085 said:

Well, it is comforting knowing I am not the only one completely baffled by it, Seems I also struck a nerve, Lol :tw_grimace:

I love this paragraph. They had to find "hidden logic" in "complex geography" to divide Uptown into "easily digestible districts." 

“The whole point of an urban wayfinding strategy is to find the hidden logic in a city’s organization, then reduce this complex geography into a simple diagrammatic idea,” he explains. Working with stakeholder groups, Two Twelve explored a few options for dividing the Uptown into easily digestible districts. Finally the team decided on a scheme that would essentially draw an “X” across the oval-shaped area, dividing it into four radiating pie slices. They named the districts North, South, East, and West because those directions are where the major streets connect to the highway loop. Distinct colors for each district help to differentiate them in pedestrians’ minds.

I think it's worth mentioning that the description above makes it sound much worse than it is. I'm not trying to make anyone agree with it, but usually explaining the concept accurately helps people understand it. Charlotte is a confusing place, and adding the weird angle of our street grid on top of things makes it even more confusing to navigate. The signs are part of an integrated wayfinding system that uses the colors and N/S/E/W designations based on the street names. I think most Charlotteans agree that it's dumb, but it's also not designed for locals. Most people who live here already know where things are and where they are going, so they don't need to use them. Tourists, on the other hand, have no clue. The wayfinding signs on the highways direct you to major destinations based on their "arbitrary" quadrant of uptown, and will send you in and out of uptown via the associated one way pair for each quadrant. Then, the ped signs will direct you to where you're going.  If you actually use them the way they are intended, it works fairly well. It also solves the problem of grouping businesses that are on the same street but in different Wards. All of that being said, I never give directions using Uptown North (or whatever), but I also don't give directions using the Wards. 

On 10/26/2017 at 10:16 PM, Spartan said:

I think it's worth mentioning that the description above makes it sound much worse than it is. I'm not trying to make anyone agree with it, but usually explaining the concept accurately helps people understand it. Charlotte is a confusing place, and adding the weird angle of our street grid on top of things makes it even more confusing to navigate. The signs are part of an integrated wayfinding system that uses the colors and N/S/E/W designations based on the street names. I think most Charlotteans agree that it's dumb, but it's also not designed for locals. Most people who live here already know where things are and where they are going, so they don't need to use them. Tourists, on the other hand, have no clue. The wayfinding signs on the highways direct you to major destinations based on their "arbitrary" quadrant of uptown, and will send you in and out of uptown via the associated one way pair for each quadrant. Then, the ped signs will direct you to where you're going.  If you actually use them the way they are intended, it works fairly well. It also solves the problem of grouping businesses that are on the same street but in different Wards. All of that being said, I never give directions using Uptown North (or whatever), but I also don't give directions using the Wards. 

Most of us on here agree about the crappy way CCCP did that, but all they had to do was equate  1st with East, 2nd with South, 3rd with West, and 4th with North.  The X alignment of Trade and Tryon means the 4th quadrant is true north.  Everything exactly as it has been for 2 centuries, but with the cardinals aligned to the wards for visitors.   

A diamond with 2 main streets in X pattern not + pattern would have made everything so much easier to get. 

CCCP really did a great job with literally everything except pretending Tryon goes due north/south.   

On 1/11/2016 at 4:42 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

401 South Graham Might be back from the dead... Same name, developers newest company name, probably not quite 25 floors, but probably 17-22. :ph34r::ph34r:

Amazing that people are still planning projects that are under the radar.

401 S Graham is back from the dead! I don't know if I can share the info that was sent to me, but it reminds me a bit of the Trademark tower on Trade Street, and your floor estimate is slightly low.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Spartan said:

401 S Graham is back from the dead! I don't know if I can share the info that was sent to me, but it reminds me a bit of the Trademark tower on Trade Street, and your floor estimate is slightly low.

It is indeed back from the dead, I referenced it in the Hotel thread. I heard Residential topped with hotel is planned. 

5 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Sounds like a reprise of Concourse, which was supposed to go where Hyatt House ended up.

https://www.emporis.com/buildings/269254/concourse-charlotte-nc-usa

I'm anxious to see what Spartan has, because Centro City Works has been part of two proposals for that land over the years, and unless someone contacted Axiom to design the building for this parcel, I don't think a David Furman design is part of the plan.  The basic idea lines up though with what I heard. 

Edited by Guest