3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

3 minutes ago, saamh said:

Out of curiousity... that utility station across the street next to the Panthers stadium, is that ever going to be moved? Seems like such prime real estate is being wasted 

I unfortunately don't think utility stations get moved. I think too much has to go into that.

51 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I unfortunately don't think utility stations get moved. I think too much has to go into that.

It happens -- they moved one on the UNCC campus 5ish years ago. But it generally only occurs where large-scale upgrading needs to be done. This station could (theoretically) be relocated to the pork-chop lot between the Belk and the Carson off-ramp (behind the Dog House) and be much less obtrusive. In general Duke has done intown Charlotte no favors with its site selection for these things, the Southend station (adjacent to Futo-Buta) is another strong candidate for shifting.

There are growing amounts of terrorism-related security concerns about key sub-stations so its not inconceivable that there could be federal funding to move some of these things underground or indoors in the near future.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a photo of the lot at 401 S Graham as I said in my predictions for 2018 watch this lot.  Photo from 2/9/2018

In other news Dominion Realty Partners Chairman and CEO Andy Andrews will be in Charlotte on April 18 for a BisNow seminar called Multifamily Investment and Development.  

Here is another prediction this lot will have its own thread soon. 

Thanks @NCMike1990 for finding this link of an empty photo gallery http://photos.clearskyimages.com/2018-02-401-s-graham-charlotte-nc-aerials

All related?  I surely think so.  Something tall is brewing here and it is not a tall latte LOL

and thanks @Hunted for this link https://straussstudios.pixieset.com/dominionrealtypartnersllc/

IMG_5872.JPG

My prediction is an announcement this spring with a groundbreaking late summer/early fall.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

How tall are we talking?

I think on a different thread RDF said the top would be around 420.  If you look at the second link KJHburg re-posted, the view is from 390, so the top of the building would be slightly higher than that in the 420 range.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'm lost. Are we talking an office building or apartments? Is it on S Graham next to the ballpark that detective KJH thinks it will be located? Seems like a small plot?

Believe they said it's office topped with apartments.  That lot is actually pretty big...from my scientific research from google earth, appears to be the same sized plot, if not a tad bit bigger than where the Residence Inn is on the other side.  Brings me to another point though, that parking deck is huge...I really wish they could convert some of that deck fronting MLK with retail (similar to what they did with B. Goods, JJ's).  I can't remember, but was the Element designed for any street-level retail capabilities?  If not, more reason to convert some space in the deck.  Besides Graham St Pub (still under construction, but will do a killing when/if that office/apt tower gets built), there's not much retail over in that area.  MLK is sandwiched between the ballpark, Romare, future Gateway and Panthers stadium...no reason why it shouldn't be lined with retail.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I'm lost. Are we talking an office building or apartments? Is it on S Graham next to the ballpark that detective KJH thinks it will be located? Seems like a small plot?

Yes both are being talked about.  Here is a tower they are developing right now in downtown Raleigh 

22 stories  office on lower floors and apartments on top

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2017/10/20/dominion-outlines-timeline-for-22-story-downtown.html

Stay tuned Charlotte!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Brings me to another point though, that parking deck is huge...I really wish they could convert some of that deck fronting MLK with retail (similar to what they did with B. Goods, JJ's).

Yeah, it’s massive. Pretty outdated looking too. I wish they’d tear it down, honestly. That land could be put to much better use with its proximity to the two stadiums.

• Like 1

Of all the undeveloped/unaesthetic stuff within the confines of the 277 loop, this has got to be one of the worst, if not THE worst. How burdensome/expensive would it be to relocate, hide, or bury this stuff? I absolutely hate looking at it.

PS: Those 6-story Circa (I think that’s the name) apartments suck, too. Stuff like that should NOT get approved on prime real estate locations Uptown.

3276A231-EB5E-4A19-B0C3-A63CDAE3B862.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Of all the undeveloped/unaesthetic stuff within the confines of the 277 loop, this has got to be one of the worst, if not THE worst. How burdensome/expensive would it be to relocate, hide, or bury this stuff? I absolutely hate looking at it.

PS: Those 6-story Circa (I think that’s the name) apartments suck, too. Stuff like that should NOT get approved on prime real estate locations Uptown.

extremely

45 minutes ago, Hunted said:

I really do recall several years back( 3/4) reading an article where Duke discussed this and it was in their 10-20 year plan that this goes away.  I can not recall or find the article, but I am positive I did read this 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunted said:

you can consider it impossible unless Duke wants to spend the money to do it, which they wont ANY time soon. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1