3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

It’s able to blend in now amongst the plentiful undeveloped areas, but as Uptown gets more and more dense, it’s only going to accentuate its ugliness.

Also, the space in between Circa and it (not even sure what to call it) could be developed one day (perhaps sports bars or restaurants), but I feel like that crap would only steer developers away from what would otherwise be a FANTASTIC location. Shame.

3 hours ago, Hunted said:

It’s able to blend in now amongst the plentiful undeveloped areas, but as Uptown gets more and more dense, it’s only going to accentuate its ugliness.

Also, the space in between Circa and it (not even sure what to call it) could be developed one day (perhaps sports bars or restaurants), but I feel like that crap would only steer developers away from what would otherwise be a FANTASTIC location. Shame.

Regarding your first point, it's fairly well hidden, necessary and cost prohibitive to move.  

Regarding the second: https://www.charlotteagenda.com/114794/look-construction-progress-menu-graham-st-pub-uptowns-newest-rooftop-bar/

In person, this little project looks pretty sweet.  

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

Is it possible the substation between the stadium and Circa is ever removed, I feel like it interrupts the area's development and creates a barrier if the practice fields are ever developed

I think it's also the only thing keeping Graham St Pub property from being bought-up in a land assemblage sale, lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trickbot said:

Is it possible the substation between the stadium and Circa is ever removed, I feel like it interrupts the area's development and creates a barrier if the practice fields are ever developed

I don't think Duke is in much of a mood for corporate citizenship these days. However, I could see this substation get consolidated with the one on the blue line at Renssalear -- the replacement could be built between 277 and the Carson off ramp (behind the Dog House). Polaris makes it look like this parcel is part of the 277 ROW.  This would certainly open up a good bit of land for development.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Looks like the Packard Building has been sold and could be in the works for some improvements.

https://rebusinessonline.com/northpond-partners-acquires-packard-place-office-building-in-downtown-charlotte-for-15-4m/

Aw bummer - just read the article.  I was hoping for far more extensive improvements than what was described in the article.  

...that garage at the corner with W4th, and the surface car lot across from Romare Bearden...

On 1/21/2020 at 5:35 PM, QCxpat said:

Today's CBJ - "Barings takes new approach in adding retail space at uptown corner" by Ashley Fahey  (Paywall - Subscriber article)

Excerpt"Charlotte-based Barings will renovate the parking deck it owns at Third and Church streets — across from its headquarters at 300 South Tryon — into new ground-floor retail space and update the deck's facade."  "Barings said Tuesday that it would upfit the ground-floor space at 100 W. Third St., on behalf of one of its managed accounts, into about 9,200 square feet of retail space, likely divided into three tenant spaces.  Renovations are scheduled to begin in mid-February and will likely finish in July, said Cassie McCrain, managing director at Barings Real Estate."  "The plan is to lease to a restaurant on the hard corner, McCrain said, but the other spaces and how they get divided will be driven by tenant interest and demand."  ... "The deck itself won't undergo much change beyond the ground-floor retail work and some cosmetic updates to the facade, but McCrain said the second phase of the renovation will be to bring some type of artistic element to the deck.   We don’t know what that looks like today, but the opportunity exists to do some kind of urban art," she continued." ... "Perkins+Will is the architect at the 100 W. Third St. project.."

Link:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/21/barings-unveils-plans-to-renovate-parking-deck-add.html  (Paywall - Subscriber article)

I wonder if this is still on the table at all.  Looked like a vast improvement to that stretch of Church street.

Edited by RANYC

• 2 years later...