3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2012/06/01/projects-planned-near-ballpark-site.html?page=all

This implies that the 21-story project is not necessary approved to go forward as apartments unless the baseball park is approved.

Despite the recent development application, Dunbar says Childress Klein remains far from a decision on building apartments near the stadium site. “It’s just not there” yet, he says. “Baseball very much matters” as an engine for development.

Do you think there is any chance that twelve hotel may eventually build in third ward? It would be a great upscale hotel addition, and would probably put off the need for more down town hotel rooms for a while. What if they made it majority hotel instead of majority condo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder if this project breaking ground would lead to other projects (Didn't the Knights say they knew of projects lined up?) trying to get a piece of the apartment pie.

I read in the Observer the other day that the amount of what we pay on the convention center falls this year and that the difference will be used to help build a 1000 room hotel. I would love to see a tall hotel building on the other side of the park. Anything to connect the canyon of parking lots that separate 3rd and 4th ward

Do you have a link to the article on the potential hotel? I didn't see it, but hotel and convention seem to not work as keyword searches.

I think another large hotel would probably be something that would help the city more than hurt. It would be great to see a hotel go up where 210 Trade was planned, as hotels provide a lot of activity as well as being an intensely perfect location for the CBD, arena, convention center and others.

Of course, it would be nice if such a project would go in some chronically vacant parcel like 300 S Tryon or others, but 210 Trade is a maybe more of an eyesore with its unfinished construction.

It is awesome news that the Childress Klein project is green lit. That is our first high rise tower built as apartments, I believe. We'll see a lot of projects starting in earnest after the DNC (trolley, BB&T Stadium, included).

• 1 month later...

Crane is on the ground over at the new Gateway West Apts. It's a big sucker too, how many stories was this thing supposed to be? The foot print is much larger than I anticipated.

When I used to live over at Ten05 W. Trade, I remember the rendering on the fence by the construction site seemed to show most of the complex being 4-5 stories, with a smaller section being an ~8 story tower.

That is great news about the Gateway West progress. It extends the scale of Gateway Village farther west, although strangely not yet along Trade where it seemed like it should have.

I am disappointed that the Childress Klein project seems to have gone quiet, when we were expecting some announcements when the baseball park became certain.

• 2 weeks later...

Meck Times reports another building permit for Childress Klein for the project on the corner of MLK Jr Blvd and South Mint Street. We are getting close on this one!

I'm more aviation savvy and my knowledge of real estate/construction is limited. Why do they need another building permit? Did they alter their original plans or is this just the next step to be able to break ground?