3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Wow, that is much further along than I realized. Normally the only time I am in that area, I am on the greenway bypassing this site, so I had no idea.

I am very happy that it is continuing with the ~8 story scale like the rest of Gateway. Here's hoping that other additions will be built at that scale along Trade toward 77.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe this was part of the original Novare plan to flank the park. Looking at this old rendering, it says Smallwood, Reynolds, Stewart, Stewart & Associates, Inc. This is likely dead. Also, heard there are some ownership issues over parking access with Packard Place that will inhibit anything from really going on that corner, at least in the near future.

Novare-Project.jpg

Charlotte Biz Journals is reporting that construction on the 22-story 352 unit apartment building next to Catalyst is set to begin next week. A rendering is included in the article. The tower is yet to be named. It's projected to be finished in fall 2014.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/01/childress-klein-starting-uptown.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2013-01-09

Reading response to the visual of the building makes me laugh a little.  This isn't meant against anyone and even not so much about this particular building so much as a general sentiment.

The board talks about Charlotte as an urban city and the need for in-fill, but then gets anywhere from upset to the blahs if a building isn't some architectural gem.   Real cities are not Las Vegas strips with every building being an ooh or an ahhh.  Most dense cities are filled with a lot of nondescript buildings that give way to occasional (or if you are lucky a frequent) architectural gems.  Charlotte is lucky to have a number of them already and it will certainly get more, but sometimes a building just has to be a building.

• Like 1

Not a Charlotte resident but I generally agree with Urbanity's statement. Not every building can be a "star." If an undistinguished design yields cheaper units, then great.

The place where I draw the line, however, is when materials that tend to not age well are used. From the rendering, I would say it is almost certainly going to be an EIFS building. EIFS needs to be washed and repainted fairly frequently since it seems to pick up mold pretty quickly, which costs money, whereas a glass and metal curtain wall, natural stone, or even a masonry veneer needs much less maintenance.

The actual longetivity of an EIFS installation can vary widely with the specific system used and the quality of the workmanship in its installation, so if this building is in fact EIFS let us hope that it is at least a good EIFS installation.

Reading response to the visual of the building makes me laugh a little.  This isn't meant against anyone and even not so much about this particular building so much as a general sentiment.

The board talks about Charlotte as an urban city and the need for in-fill, but then gets anywhere from upset to the blahs if a building isn't some architectural gem.   Real cities are not Las Vegas strips with every building being an ooh or an ahhh.  Most dense cities are filled with a lot of nondescript buildings that give way to occasional (or if you are lucky a frequent) architectural gems.  Charlotte is lucky to have a number of them already and it will certainly get more, but sometimes a building just has to be a building.

Even though I was just complaining I definitely agree with you that we get a little caught up in the specifics of infill buildings (partially because we don't have THAT many to talk about). I care very little about the architectural originality of a building above its 4th floor or so when its not a signature building or skyscraper, but I AM concerned about the street-level thoughtfulness of a building in a location like this.