3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

I think the rendering looks very urban and not the typical Charlotte flash.

I like this design just like I like berkmans tower. It seems a little New York and very fitting for an urban park. Wish we had a lOt more of this design. That and the new office building at the theatre to be built, and the former design Berkmans Tower for that same site.

Of course I hope the materials aren't crap

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

In the Charlotte Observer article the developer is quoted as saying they hope to create something like Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. Those intentions are great but having actually visited Philadelphia and spent some time in Rittenhouse Square I can assure you there would be a huge uproar if a monolithic, retail-less, soul-less, bland structure such as this one were proposed for Rittenhouse Square.

It is a no brainer to put a cafe on the ground floor of this building. You are across the street from the signature park in the city, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people are going to want to eat and drink while they people watch and enjoy the view.

I pray to God that this building is not efis...if so then Childress Klein should be banned from any future developments in Charlotte. If this building is efis then its going to become the ugly duckling that everyone is going to make fun of in the future and wish was never built.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a great place to put residential but they should also be putting in ground floor retail and using quality building matierals. I don't need flashy but this building is just plain bland and unimagnative.

In the Charlotte Observer article the developer is quoted as saying they hope to create something like Rittenhouse Square in Philadelphia. Those intentions are great but having actually visited Philadelphia and spent some time in Rittenhouse Square I can assure you there would be a huge uproar if a monolithic, retail-less, soul-less, bland structure such as this one were proposed for Rittenhouse Square.

It is a no brainer to put a cafe on the ground floor of this building. You are across the street from the signature park in the city, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people are going to want to eat and drink while they people watch and enjoy the view.

I pray to God that this building is not efis...if so then Childress Klein should be banned from any future developments in Charlotte. If this building is efis then its going to become the ugly duckling that everyone is going to make fun of in the future and wish was never built.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a great place to put residential but they should also be putting in ground floor retail and using quality building matierals. I don't need flashy but this building is just plain bland and unimagnative.

We don't even know the name of the building, are we sure it's going be soulless (regarding street level)?

Yes....the bottom two floors are stamped panels that simulate brick/stone. Everything above is 3-coat stucco. The only difference between the middle and top 3 floors is a color change, but both are 3-coat stucco.

Quoting myself from earlier last year when I reviewed the construction docs.  So not EFIS, but not brick....just brick-ish at the bottom.  I think 3-coat stucco is like what the 230 S Tryon condos are done in.

I'm ok with it I guess.  My guess is over-time, (20-30 years) people will look at it and Catalyst as missed opportunities to do something remarkable on such an A+ location with the park there, but at this time, there is no economic justification for a more elaborate project.

I think I mentioned a while back that while 1/2 base is occupied by model units, once this building is leased up completely, they don't really need a represenative floor plan unit, and could easily free up 6,000 sq ft or so to be retail and just have one model unit.  My guess is that's a function of demand for retail though, and given that the Catalyst retail spaces are still vacant, I'm not holding my breath.

Obviously adding the ball park, and in theory a hotel and likely another apartment tower around the park might push retailers to the tipping point that its a viable location, but as is, foot-traffic compared to Tryon (or College) is miniscule.

I hope there is a construction cam :)

The project, in Third Ward near the future BB&T Ballpark, will mark the first time a developer has broken ground on a new, private commercial project in uptown since the real estate meltdown took hold.

The Observer people have 0 clue. There are already two projects under construction in downtown. Gateway West Apts and Fountains Uptown. SMH. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quoting myself from earlier last year when I reviewed the construction docs. So not EFIS, but not brick....just brick-ish at the bottom. I think 3-coat stucco is like what the 230 S Tryon condos are done in.

I'm ok with it I guess. My guess is over-time, (20-30 years) people will look at it and Catalyst as missed opportunities to do something remarkable on such an A+ location with the park there, but at this time, there is no economic justification for a more elaborate project.

I think I mentioned a while back that while 1/2 base is occupied by model units, once this building is leased up completely, they don't really need a represenative floor plan unit, and could easily free up 6,000 sq ft or so to be retail and just have one model unit. My guess is that's a function of demand for retail though, and given that the Catalyst retail spaces are still vacant, I'm not holding my breath.

Obviously adding the ball park, and in theory a hotel and likely another apartment tower around the park might push retailers to the tipping point that its a viable location, but as is, foot-traffic compared to Tryon (or College) is miniscule.

I hope there is a construction cam :)

I have some faith in the architect. RJT+R is a great architect, and cruising their site backs that up, they have done a good job on similar buildings, and C&K has developed some of our cities most important buildings. I just have one extra thing to share that makes me want to cry a little.

ScreenShot2013-01-10at113851PM_zps2f79aa

The Wachovia Residential Tower could have been one of the best looking buildings in the south IMHO. This was Designed by RJT+R.

This fits into the What coulda been category. What a gorgeous building. ONE DAY I HOPE!

want to be more depressed?

ScreenShot2013-01-10at114707PM_zps122b1a

Another "what coulda been" Also by RJT+R

Edited by Guest

Hm. Technically the project isn't dead (I don't think)... Maybe the Wachovia Residential Tower could be entirely hotel and be our Convention hotel.

I always wondered which parcel they were talking about when rumors floated about the city interested in a site within a few blocks of the convention center. This site (Wachovia Hotel/Condo) somehow slipped my mind.

I have some faith in the architect. RJT+R is a great architect, and cruising their site backs that up, they have done a good job on similar buildings, and C&K has developed some of our cities most important buildings. I just have one extra thing to share that makes me want to cry a little.

ScreenShot2013-01-10at113851PM_zps2f79aa

The Wachovia Residential Tower could have been one of the best looking buildings in the south IMHO. This was Designed by RJT+R.

This fits into the What coulda been category. What a gorgeous building. ONE DAY I HOPE!

want to be more depressed?

ScreenShot2013-01-10at114707PM_zps122b1a

Another "what coulda been" Also by RJT+R

What is this second building with the fresh market??? Where was this supposed to be at 300 South Tryon???

Edited by saamh

I agree about wanting a hotel over the Mint Museum rather than an apartment tower.   I think it is kind of a no brainer location for a high end hotel given the proximity to Duke and WF campuses as well as all of the tourist amenities nearby and being between the stadium and convention center.   

• 2 weeks later...

I love the mid rise density beginning to take shape in Gateway.  January has been awesome for uptown development...I hope we keep this rolling all year!

Imagine in a couple years, the walk from 77 along West Trade into Uptown after this, Gateway station and hopefully some development from the ballfield along Graham.  It would be amazing to do that whole stretch without a surface lot!

I love the mid rise density beginning to take shape in Gateway. January has been awesome for uptown development...I hope we keep this rolling all year!

Imagine in a couple years, the walk from 77 along West Trade into Uptown after this, Gateway station and hopefully some development from the ballfield along Graham. It would be amazing to do that whole stretch without a surface lot!

Hopefully we won't have to walk and we can take Lynx up and down trade! I wonder if this will be 20 stories tall; as tall as Childress Kleins building but narrower.

I wonder if development sprawling in uptown helps boost retail. It's starting to make sense to have retail deep in 3rd and 4th ward. Property has to be cheaper than tryon st. Which might hamper retail growth

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Hopefully we won't have to walk and we can take Lynx up and down trade! I wonder if this will be 20 stories tall; as tall as Childress Kleins building but narrower.

Since it's only 250 units on 3.3 acres, you're probably looking at 4 story wrapped around a deck. At least it's probably not more podium!

• Like 1

FINALLY!  This block was part of the original Gateway Village plan, so it has always been a symbol of something bad that it never got developed.    Faison's Gateway West obviously has helped set a new bar, although this will be lower density with fewer units on a larger stretch of land.  Hopefully they will retain some area for future expansion.   Bringing the Gateway Village developments closer to the Irwin Greenway and I77 will help in the long run, as the plans are to reconfigure the interchange to allow for development closer to the freeway.  It will help bring the West End/Wesley Heights and 3rd Ward/Gateway closer together in preparation for the eventual streetcar line along Trade.

I do seriously hope they are aware of the importance of Trade Street and at least put some street retail on it.