UrbanCharlotte

3rd Ward Midrise Projects

The wood-framing has now started at Faison's Gateway West project.  Should start going up much faster now.  What a massive project that I'm really glad is including retail.  I hope the ContraVest project in Gateway includes some retail as well.

I would expect to have the BBT Stadium Hotel announced by May, and construction begin by mid - late summer.

Expect BB&T Stadium Residences announced soon too. Should be on one of the parcels directly adjacent to the park and stadium. 

Seriously. How do I get a piece of this action? You guys are always out in front of these announcements! :)

DMann - Do you have sources for this or is it speculation on your part? Any idea on what hotel brand we are looking at?

• Like 1

Seriously. How do I get a piece of this action? You guys are always out in front of these announcements! :)

DMann - Do you have sources for this or is it speculation on your part? Any idea on what hotel brand we are looking at?

I do have sources, but can't reveal much, I do not have any renderings just knowledge of an operator finalizing the deal.

^ Is that you guessing, or do you have insider information?

It was mentioned in the CCCP "State of Center City" brochure as 160 units of apartments. Its gotta be announced one of these days right?

Well if everything discussed here comes to fruition, along with Gateway station.  We will finally have an east-west skyline (mid-rise) that will seriously add some density to our city.  We may be looking at a vastly different place by 2018.

Well if everything discussed here comes to fruition, along with Gateway station.  We will finally have an east-west skyline (mid-rise) that will seriously add some density to our city.  We may be looking at a vastly different place by 2018.

Heck, I don't think we need to wait that long... In 2015, uptown will look drastically different.

^ I like your optimism a lot more than my own.  I'm imagining 2018, light rail to University, potential Street car all the way down Trade, Gateway Station (finished, under construction?), further in fill in the Gateway area of Johnson & Wales, finished Ballpark, finished apartment complexes, hotel and park along with a finished Crescent project on its current proposed site.  And that's all just reserved to the "3rd ward" area.

Well, I think 2015 will look drastically different from 2013. Just the Bearden park, BB&T Ballpark and the new apartment towers will make a big difference in that time frame. But 2018 will also look much different than 2015. The transformation of uptown will occur in stages over the next 5-7 years. I think the Crescent project will be the most transformative if it's everything we're being led to believe it will be.

^ I like your optimism a lot more than my own.  I'm imagining 2018, light rail to University, potential Street car all the way down Trade, Gateway Station (finished, under construction?), further in fill in the Gateway area of Johnson & Wales, finished Ballpark, finished apartment complexes, hotel and park along with a finished Crescent project on its current proposed site.  And that's all just reserved to the "3rd ward" area.

Does no one else shudder when they hear the term "Apartment Complex"

These are hard times.

I understand that but calling them Complexes doesn't seem accurate to me. I feel like they are Apartment Buildings, Complexes are those things out by the Arboretum, or University City, that have no respect for the urban landscape.

I understand that but calling them Complexes doesn't seem accurate to me. I feel like they are Apartment Buildings, Complexes are those things out by the Arboretum, or University City, that have no respect for the urban landscape.

I hear you. My comment was halfway tongue-in-cheek. In the good old days we were talking 'condo towers.' For me, it's well and good to see towers going up.

Haven't been uptown in a while... How is the apartment tower next to Catalyst progressing? I assume it's still just a bunch of dirt being moved around?

Not sure about that one, but the one between fourth street and trade (near the Doubletree, I forget the name of the road) is progressing nicely. You can see the elevator shaft from 77 if you look for it.

It's a big hole now. I imagine we've got another month of excavation, then it's go time. If I could paste iPhone pictures on here, I would snap a pick on my way home. Unless I can, in which case, someone help me.

Also, the steel at the ball field is going up...FAST.

It's a big hole now. I imagine we've got another month of excavation, then it's go time. If I could paste iPhone pictures on here, I would snap a pick on my way home. Unless I can, in which case, someone help me.

Also, the steel at the ball field is going up...FAST.

Come on now... "There's an app for that!"  :shades:

• Like 1

Perhaps this is the apartment project next to the BB&T Ballpark that ricky davis was hinting at: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/04/woodfield-eyeing-uptown-site-near.html

It's a 230 unit apartment building. 4 levels of apartments over 2 levels of parking. Woodfield has already put the property at South Graham between MLK and 3rd under contract. 

Edited by wend28

Perhaps this is the apartment project next to the BB&T Ballpark that ricky davis was hinting at: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/04/woodfield-eyeing-uptown-site-near.html

It's a 230 unit apartment building. 4 levels of apartments over 2 levels of parking. Woodfield has already put the property at South Graham between MLK and 3rd under contract. 

Actually this isn't one I knew about... lol. I'm a little confused by this because the land they are referring to, I thought was part of the Gateway land.