3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

Does Avenue have 10 stories of podium parking?

This is on our second main street, so parking floors with no redeemable facade or use fronting the street sounds terrible, but searching google, it is not that all 'podium parking' for urban towers are bad. 

If Presto remains, as it hopefully would as it is a separate parcel with a different owner, then it covers a lot of the street frontage of this project with retail.  Then, it seems that they would at least add a sales center/office to the street and a lobby for the tower.    

I guess I need to see it, but I am nervous considering the visibility of this site.

Isn't Gateway Village built in this style?  Just because this project has two levels of podium, that does not mean it's all parking.  I'd wait to see the site plans before we jump to that conclusion.  I am hoping for something more along the lines of Emory Point in Atlanta or Twinbrook Commons in Rockville, MD (both Preston properties).

http://www.theprestonpartnership.com/project/emory-point/?cat=multifamily-podium-style

http://www.theprestonpartnership.com/project/twinbrook-commons/?cat=multifamily-podium-style

As tozmervo mentioned about the UMUD, I'm not too worried either.  I just hope it's aesthetically pleasing.  It certainly will help connect Gateway with the rest of Trade.  I think it's also a good height - this building will be right on top of the court house, and too much taller and I feel like it would just completely overshadow the building and property it sits on.

EDIT:  Preston Partnership properties, not Spectrum

Edited by queensguy06

Fair enough, I guess I had started to associate the word "podium" with the less inspired of the Southend projects like 1225 S. Church etc. Some of the podium projects under construction now are doing a better job of concealing the parking and I'm sure any built within 277 will at least be one of the better examples, but its a little disappointing that something more ambitious isn't going to happen in that location (adjacent to the future Gateway station AND ballbark). As long as there is a decent amount of retail I won't complain any further. 

Fair enough, I guess I had started to associate the word "podium" with the less inspired of the Southend projects like 1225 S. Church etc. Some of the podium projects under construction now are doing a better job of concealing the parking and I'm sure any built within 277 will at least be one of the better examples, but its a little disappointing that something more ambitious isn't going to happen in that location (adjacent to the future Gateway station AND ballbark). As long as there is a decent amount of retail I won't complain any further.

I'm with you on this one. I would like to see something more impressive on this parcel even though what is planned may turn out to be not that bad. This location is too high profile for five stories of residential no matter how well it's done.

I made a short timelapse of the Childress Klein South Mint Apartments highrise after work yesterday.  Not too much to see, but I wanted to share the update.  The crane operator comes down the steps at about 30 secs into the video and it looks kind of funny to me.  Also, make sure to switch it to 1080p HD by clicking the little gear logo in the youtube video.

http://youtu.be/YRCvArQ8AF8

It's amazing to me just how much the crane tower moves.  That's something you don't really notice watching it in person, but that time lapse shows it well.

We used to live on the 25th floor of The TradeMark while The Vue was being built. It was pretty cool watching that crane sway in the high winds. Several times I thought it was going over. They're designed to sway, obviously.

Wow! This building has a really cool storefront!

http://goo.gl/maps/gklwB

Brewery anyone? Anyone?

Edit: Looked it up on GIS looks like its only about 7,000 sq feet of retail between the two of them, but that's enough retail for something great.

It is intriguing that Preferred Parking, the quintesential land bankers and parcel consolidators in Charlotte, only own a sliver of that block in the elbow of the BB&T and Bearden Parks, but they have not been able in all this time to obtain some key parcels on the block.   I think it is very little chance that Preferred Pkg will put or allow a boutique retailer to go in, unfortunately, but I also doubt we will see any redevelopment either.  

I am perfectly happy seeing the building remain for a while, as it as quaint little storefront with an interesting sidewalk medalion.  But I don't see that building as having much of a future considering the small size.

Yeah I'd be very surprised to see this building lasts once the rest of the block gets some momentum. But for right now, there could be some sort of grassroots startup. Of course, the cynic in me thinks it'll just be a Preferred Parking office of some sort like the old storefronts on Brevard & 3rd. 

I've certainly never owned a business or upfitted an old space fro a new use; and I have no idea how bad the Charlotte construction practices were when these places were built - anyone care to rationalize why there is so little adaptive reuse and so much demolition?

I've certainly never owned a business or upfitted an old space fro a new use; and I have no idea how bad the Charlotte construction practices were when these places were built - anyone care to rationalize why there is so little adaptive reuse and so much demolition?

Taxes and marketability. They get you for structures on your lot. Plus, everyone in the real estate game in Charlotte has become speculators. We have one downtown that is 1925 vintage. Fortunately we are able to utilize some historical credits and have a building that worked out for tenants.

Spectrum Properties announced "The Mint" on the parcel along Trade between the Fed Courthouse and Presto/Celebs (though apparantly not including that building).

Architecture is pretty boring, but I actually think seven stories in the site will be decent scale.  There will be 177 units.  Construction should start by year end.

I think the most disappointing is the parking deck entrance/curb cut on Trade.

TheMint*600.jpg

Spectrum Properties announced "The Mint" on the parcel along Trade between the Fed Courthouse and Presto/Celebs (though apparantly not including that building).

Architecture is pretty boring, but I actually think seven stories in the site will be decent scale.  There will be 177 units.  Construction should start by year end.

I think the most disappointing is the parking deck entrance/curb cut on Trade.

TheMint*600.jpg

I'm alright with it, disappointed with the lack of retail. We definitely need some more residents downtown, so that's a plus. I like the design okay, but I hate the materials.

Bland style (at least its a high ratio of glass) and lower height I can deal with. But no retail in a project like this on Trade St on a project that will be next door to the ballpark and future gateway station? Almost criminally stupid. If we all shrug and say OK to projects like this left and right, we're not going to get that lively, interesting 3rd ward/Gateway Station district we've dreamed of. 

Bland style (at least its a high ratio of glass) and lower height I can deal with. But no retail in a project like this on Trade St on a project that will be next door to the ballpark and future gateway station? Almost criminally stupid. If we all shrug and say OK to projects like this left and right, we're not going to get that lively, interesting 3rd ward/Gateway Station district we've dreamed of.

Exactly. Especially being beside the courthouse which while lovely doesn't do much for street activity.