3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

well, fourth street does face the knights stadium and future hotel/office area.

I know, it still has a chance. But even with what is coming to the 4th street side, If I were a developer choosing where to put 1 retail space, I'd still pick Trade because of the already established, more walkable corridor with a restaurant next door and existing retail a few blocks away in either direction. Not to mention the future gold line.

Spectrum Properties announced "The Mint" on the parcel along Trade between the Fed Courthouse and Presto/Celebs (though apparantly not including that building).

Architecture is pretty boring, but I actually think seven stories in the site will be decent scale.  There will be 177 units.  Construction should start by year end.

I think the most disappointing is the parking deck entrance/curb cut on Trade.

TheMint*600.jpg

It is a shame that Charlotte does not seem to treat Trade Street as the secondary main street like it traditionally was.   That gated garage entrance will not look black and invisible, but will give a clear look into the bowels of the building with concrete and pipes and cars and buzzing fluorescent lights like most parking decks.  I would rather a garage door over that supposedly decorative gate.   Why wouldn't 4th Street be the preferred side for that auto entrance for the developers?  Trade Street has a median which will eventually have a streetcar, so people exiting and will always need to turn right, whereas 4th Street with a painted yellow line could allow for left turns and less impact to an established pedestrian corridor.  Their residents will have a much easier time using an entrance on that side.  

The difference in colors makes for a slight improvement over Spectrum's very underwhelming first swipe at the neighborhood, Cityview Towers.   Yet, I'm sure this will get the same stucco treatment and look just as cheap and plastic when finished.  

1) Yes....seems insane that they couldn't have made the only ingress/egress along 4th.  Not a big enough building to warrant 2 auto entrances.

2) Materials will make the difference, and agree, it's not looking likely that this this won't be a mix of split block, 3-coats stucco, and EIFS all together, so I'm expecting a let down.

3) Overall design isn't horrible in the aesthetic sense, it's just horribly generic and devoid of context.  You could put this building in Uptown, Midtown, South End, South Park, Arboreteum, Cornelius, etc, and it would be equally contextual.  This parcel was an opportunity for something much better.  Not higher/denser, just better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only slightly related, but I noticed that some type of gym is going into one of or combining all the retail space in the Catalyst/ChildressKlein parking deck fronting Mint. 

This is the retail spot that has been sitting vacant since it was built, correct? Glad to see something go there besides an Asian or Steak restaurant. Still think a sports bar would've killed there given it's proximity to BofA and BB&T ballpark.

This is the retail spot that has been sitting vacant since it was built, correct? Glad to see something go there besides an Asian or Steak restaurant. Still think a sports bar would've killed there given it's proximity to BofA and BB&T ballpark.

Once the Knights stadium is open maybe, but I'm not sure 10 home games per year can sustain a bar. A bar there would be kinda isolated. I don't think it'd work.

Wasn't Picasso's considering moving there at one point?

Once the Knights stadium is open maybe, but I'm not sure 10 home games per year can sustain a bar. A bar there would be kinda isolated. I don't think it'd work.

Wasn't Picasso's considering moving there at one point?

I think given the residential going up along with BB&T stadium a sports bar is very sustainable. I believe Picassos was set to go there at one point.

I think the site in question is the parking deck. I saw a Reebok sign in the window across from the Residence Inn.

No there is a retail space in Catalyst itself at Church & MLK (at least 1, maybe 2 actually), that's where the Mellow is going.

The last thing I read said they were targeting a December opening date, so I'd look to see obvious work going on by October or so. Not sure why they're not trying to do it sooner to coincide with the park opening. 

Edited by nonillogical