3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

how do you mean? 

It has to stay open between Trade and 4th because of two parking garages, but it might as well go away and create another superblock like the rest of it between 3rd and 4th.  It's redundant at this point--no businesses or traffic depend on it for anything.

Edited by Miesian Corners

That image pretty much says that Pine Street's existence between 3rd and 4th is just silly at this point.

Meh, its more connectivity. *shrug*

What jumps out to me is the amount of surface parking to the left of the park. I can't think of any urban parks that have so much. 

I feel like Packard Place's parking is screwing everything up. 

What jumps out to me is the amount of surface parking to the left of the park. I can't think of any urban parks that have so much.

It'd be cool if you had ~6 story condos fronting Romare sort of like the condos on the Green. Retail on the bottom with a Latta Arcade feel/look.

The better plan would be for the park to be on all that land and be <<shock>> as big as the baseball stadium. 

It'd be cool if you had ~6 story condos fronting Romare sort of like the condos on the Green. Retail on the bottom with a Latta Arcade feel/look.

I think that'll happen eventually but it'll probably be the last lot to go. I like all the small sites created by this in that area, should be some interesting infill.

That picture makes me think again how great it would be to divide that block into 4 low rise buildings with pedestrian only street through it n/s and e/w that would be filled with retail (shopping goods) from clothing boutiques, jewerly, household items for apartment living, etc. 

Make the second floor of the 3rd street side facing the park side some restaurants with al fresco balcony dining and you got some energy there as well.

Add a similar building on the Packard Block and make that one or two  major retailer (H&M, Apple, etc)  and you have a great retail district that complements the park and stadium and fills a desperate need in the city.

(all pie in the sky wishing I know...)

post-24262-0-39038500-1374073374_thumb.j

Edited by Urbanity

Agreed 100%. I'm sure packard place is going to be thrilled to lose its view one day. I wouldn't mind 4 Story Townhomes like 700 N. Church, but with 1 floor of ground level retail below. That would be great to front the park, instead of all these massive superblocks.

If I owned all that land... 

1053234_529594480435209_1746538888_o_zps

All the Townhomes would have Ground Level Retail. The Mid-Rise Buildings would have enough parking for townhomes and retail and condos. With the Height being lower near the park, it would ensure there be light in the park always.

Edited by Guest

I agree that this area around the ballpark and Romare Bearden is better suited to low-midrise buildings (with retail components). You don't want to take away from the city view. Not everything in uptown has to be a 40+ story building. I like ricky_davis' map above. 

It'd be great if those Townhomes were live-work units so we could still have some retail facing the park.

Exactly how I would do it, they would be live/work. They only draw back is that residents would need to park in the adjacent parking decks. SIGHHH in a perfect world... Too bad I'm a Art Director in New York instead of an Developer in Charlotte.

I thought I'd share this with everyone, especially with all the new wood framed building/podium apartments going up. This is the new store Walmart is building in downtown DC, near Union Station. Walmart is on the ground level, with wood-framed apartments above. The building (I assume) is modeled after the ~100 year old US goverment printing warehouses nearby. I was really impressed by how well this turned out, particularly since all the materials are such high quality. This is a good model of how a 5-6 story wood-framed building with retail can be built. It would have been nice to see Publix in Southend built this way.

Sorry if the pics aren't the best quality, they were taken from the car.

20130714_150604_zpsff9a7c84.jpg

20130714_150401_zps1c97bc26.jpg

20130714_150338_zps3a1dfadb.jpg

This is one of three stores that has been built. We'll see if they occupy it. The other two are less urban.

I thought that Walmart got officially nixed recently due to the living wage requirement? 

There were three more (6 total), and Walmart is saying they won't build those, and might not occupy the stores they've already built. I'm sure they'll come to some sort of compromise.

I thought that Walmart got officially nixed recently due to the living wage requirement? 

Vincent Grey is really pushing the living wage issue. Walmart is trying to build smaller stores to gain a foothold in urban markets, but they will continue to run into this problem given that urban areas tend to be Democratically controlled and therefore more likely to follow suit if they want to shield smaller businesses.

• 2 weeks later...

Was anyone ever able to find a high res rendering of the South Mint Apartments? I've looked everywhere, would love to see one better than the 600 pixel picture I've seen.