3rd Ward Midrise Projects

UrbanCharlotte

According to the County Tax site the House of Jazz building was erected in 1932 and is currently owned by Wachovia's development arm RBC Corp.

Are they tearing that one down? If it's the same one I'm thinking of, I like that little building, and it would be a shame to lose yet another historic structure to new development.

There are still plenty of parking lots Uptown (although the number is dwindling) to develop.

It was built in 1932. It is definitely 'old', but of course we can all debate its historic value.

http://meckcama.co.mecklenburg.nc.us/reloo...t.aspx?07302208

LC081501.JPG

I kind of think it would be cool to keep one section (if you can see 4 sections in the picture) for the bathrooms to serve the park. It is at the corner, so it would be very unobtrusive, but would allow part of the building to be saved.

You say it was built in 1932? And yet, though I'm no expert, it almost seems to show some elements of modern architecture. That would make it very unusual, wouldn't it? Or was the facade re-cladded more recently? (as in, the 1980s or 1990s?)

Anyway, this building in a sea of other early 20th century storefronts might be pretty insignificant, but since this is one of very few such structures left inside 277, its significance increases tenfold.

Yeah, it looks newer than 1932. You can almost see a difference in the brick on the lower 2 levels, versus the traingular part, so I would not be surprised if that and the stucco sections were added more recently on an otherwise bland old storefront building.

I kind of think it would be cool to keep one section (if you can see 4 sections in the picture) for the bathrooms to serve the park. It is at the corner, so it would be very unobtrusive, but would allow part of the building to be saved.

Plans for the park are not definite yet, now would be the time for anyone interested to lobby to keep these or part of them for some use. Contact the parks department, city council, and if they are still doing part of the design, Neighboring Concepts (architecture firm)

• 2 weeks later...

I was skimming the Novare website today to see if there were any new renderings (there aren't), but I noticed that the changed the completion date of the first condo tower to Winter 2009. I guess that leaves me with two questions 1) Are they going to build both towers (Twelve and Overture) at the same time? 2) When pre-sales begin will both be available (ultimately creating a larger selection of floor plans and living options)? Any insider or general knowledge would be appreciated. Either way I'm looking forward to both of them. :yahoo:

I was skimming the Novare website today to see if there were any new renderings (there aren't), but I noticed that the changed the completion date of the first condo tower to Winter 2009. I guess that leaves me with two questions 1) Are they going to build both towers (Twelve and Overture) at the same time? 2) When pre-sales begin will both be available (ultimately creating a larger selection of floor plans and living options)? Any insider or general knowledge would be appreciated. Either way I'm looking forward to both of them. :yahoo:

I would think building more than one building at one time since they are on the same block could also save money since you will already have cranes and other equipment on-site.

This construction news from my employer, sent in a safety memo.

"

Former [Duke] Power Building Site: Construction at this site will begin this month near the corner of Martin Luther King Boulevard and Church Street. The developer will install a covered walkway in the construction area from mid-MLK Boulevard to Church Street, and down Church to a mid-block construction entrance. The developer will place a flag person at the construction entrance during all working hours.

"

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't been on their website until, looks like they are still waiting on a rendering for TWELVE, the hotel, but looking at the other 2 (Atlanta, Centenial), those designs are beautiful!! There is a rendering for the Catalyst building, I actually enjoy that name very much. The design is hard to tell by the rendering, but it kind of reminds me of Avenue, except almost looks to have a gothic influence to it. Hmm...

In my humble opinion, Catalyst just doesn't sound like the name of a beautiful building. "Catalyst" sounds more like a truck, or a rock band, or a new brand of software.

But just as long as they hold tight to the rendering we've seen (LOVE IT!) I guess I won't complain too loudly.:)

maybe it's just me, but i hate the fact that almost every condo planned or u/c has some tacky name like Catalyst, One, or The Trust. It seems more sophisticated to have the address as the actual name of the building, much like 230 S. Tryon, 210 Trade, and 300 S. Tryon. Oh well just a mini rant.

p.s.--I like the pseudo-gothic/deco detailing that is mixed with a modern-glassy twist. Plus the 3rd Ward park will really make it look awesome. I thought that the first two buildings to be built were Catalyst and the TWELVE, but now they have changed it to the condo tower and the office building, is there a reason for this?

I wish that Charlotte would have "squares", and that the post office would recognize names based on their square number. In Boston their are lots of buildings named after the square they are on.

Examples could be.

The Residences at McColl Square

One Crutchfield Square

2 Bearden Park

From reading the article, it seemed to me that were starting Catalyst (yuck....horrible name, above average design) next month, and then both Twelve and the office tower 1Q 08.

maybe it's just me, but i hate the fact that almost every condo planned or u/c has some tacky name like Catalyst, One, or The Trust. It seems more sophisticated to have the address as the actual name of the building, much like 230 S. Tryon, 210 Trade, and 300 S. Tryon. Oh well just a mini rant.

p.s.--I like the pseudo-gothic/deco detailing that is mixed with a modern-glassy twist. Plus the 3rd Ward park will really make it look awesome. I thought that the first two buildings to be built were Catalyst and the TWELVE, but now they have changed it to the condo tower and the office building, is there a reason for this?

Probably because analysts believe the office market is stronger and has more depth than the condo market at this point in time.